advertisement

Autoimmune?

Discussion in 'Thyroid and Other Autoimmunity' started by kas77, Jun 23, 2010.

1. kas77

kas77 Approved members

So my niece whom I have posted about before on this site has finally gotten a diagnosis. She has been bedridden for about 6 months and they couldn't find out what was causing the pain and illness. She has gone from a size 14 to a size 8 because she can't keep anything down and is in constant pain. They had her at Sick Kids Hospital in toronto for almost 2 weeks and never found anything. They finally did a muscle biopsy and 6 weeks later they told her she has dermatomyositis.

Does anyone know anything about this disease? I think she told me the doctors said it was an autoimmune disease of some kind.

She is being treated with a large dose of prednisone and it has really helped.

Could this have any relation to the high blood sugar readings she had before she was diagnosed? They still say she is not diabetic.

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Does she have a rash and did they find a tumor somewhere?

3. kas77

kas77 Approved members

It started about 6 months ago or more with a red patch on her arm that looked like someone had punched her in the arm. It was very hot to the touch and slightly raised. We took her to the ER and to walk in clinics, but nothing they did helped. They gave her a steroid cream, antibiotic injections over Christmas, and I can't even remember what else. After it spread over the rest of her body and she couldn't even walk anymore they sent her to a dermatologist who referred her to Sick Kids.

So it wasn't what I would have considered a rash, but I guess it could be called a rash. I don't recall them ever mentioning anything about a tumor. Is there usually?

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

did they look for a tumor?

5. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Did they check her blood sugar recently? Was it elevated and/or treated? I've heard of steroid-induced diabetes, but I guess that doesn't apply since she hadn't been treated for the dermatomyositis yet. It's always possible to have more than one autoimmune disorder, but prednisone tends to raise BG. So if she's doing better on the steroids, maybe she really doesn't have diabetes. Did your sister take her BG with that same old meter?

6. Lee

Lee Approved members

Yes - illness can raise non diabetics blood sugar. I honestly wouldn't ask a diabetes forum about this disease...I would look for a forum that specializes in this disorder. Good luck to her, I hope she starts feeling better soon!

7. kas77

kas77 Approved members

I don't know.

8. kas77

kas77 Approved members

I'm pretty sure they checked it in the hospital, but everything I was told was third hand so I'm not sure. I can't remember if the higher reading she had was when she was on the steroid cream or what meter my sister used. I think it was her old meter, but I checked mine at the same time because I thought it was inaccurate an mine was only 6.5 (mmol).

Maybe the steroid cream caused the problem. Thank you for that information, it is reassuring.

I just posted here because this section was for thyroid and other autoimmune and I wondered if there was any connection between her diagnosis and the blood sugar readings. I'll try elsewhere.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010