- advertisement -

Attention problems?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MEVsmom, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Why don't you try giving her the pediasure again or even a homemade smoothie then pack her something to eat at school? I'd avoid the glucerna, they are geared towards T2.

2. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I hope this isn't too far down the post to get read.

I think it probably has more to do with her personality than anything. I have one son who is super responsible (for a kid his age) and who gets his homework done with barely any mention of it from me. Another son is much like your DD--distracted by everything along the way, constant reminders to do stuff, etc. And, yes, school work is the worst! The first son I described is the one with D. It took a while before I realized there isn't something "wrong" with the second son; he doesnt' need to be "fixed." He's just different from his brother.

So, if unless you think she's doing it on purpose (if it's all day every day, I doubt that because kids are rarely that consistent on their own) I think it may just be the way she's wired. You have to find ways to set things up for the best possible outcome. For example....one thing that works wonders for my son is to make things into a game. Try to make things be more fun. He loves to do his homework in odd places our outside. He doesn't like sitting in one place for a long time...so, do one math problem then throw the ball to me. Do one more problem and I'll throw it back. Or provide a fun incentive for after the work is done (proper motivation will get ANY kid to do their stuff). That kind of thing.

Good luck.

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Hi, I'm late to the thread, but wanted to chime in on a totally different angle - the *giftedness*. I know there some may not agree but sometimes kids who need continual *intellectual* challenge tend to be, for lack of a better word, airheaded.:eek: So, it may just be a personality trait that is becoming more ingrained. If this is the case, see how to help your child be more focused - little games/lists/anything which will make it a challenge, and therefore, interesting.

Good luck.

4. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

Oh, that made me giggle. She is a bit airheaded already.

5. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

Well, as someone who was labeled "gifted" in school, I can say I'm a bit of an airhead lol. Ok, maybe more than a bit. Book smart, yes. Common sense, no. =) Give me a test, I can ace it, ask me to do a hands on lab, no thank you