- advertisement -

At A Lowpoint...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by J'sMa, Sep 30, 2007.

1. J'sMa

J'sMa Approved members

Hi,

At the risk of being called the 'idiot' I sometimes am...I'm asking for help.

Short version is, I have everything to live for, but can't get it together to get sugars under control. I'm ashamed. I know better, have been type 1 for 30+ years. It's not looking too bright right now.

Besides Dr's, who mean well, is there somewhere on this board, or anywhere else where a messed-up-pumping type 1 can go?

thanks!

2. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

((((((((((( BIG HUG FOR YOU ))))))))))))))))). My first suggestion would be to toss shame to the wind and pat yourself on the back for reaching out. It's not exactly an intuitive thing to get blood glucose values close to target.

There are resources online like www.insulin-pumpers.org (it generates a lot of email so you may want to subscribe to the digest version), http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_technology/insulinpumps.php is John Walsh's website - he's the author of the excellent book Pumping Insulin 4th edition, and there are some tools there to help you as well.

Also, feel free to come and chat at the parents chat room or the Adults type 1 chat or both at www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/chat

Some pump companies have CDEs (certified diabetes educators) who will help the customers - I know Animas in particular is very helpful in that regard.

If your doctor is less than brilliant, have you looked to find one who is? Are there any pump support groups near where you live?

WELCOME!!!!! You're in great company.

3. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

First off no one is an idiot here, that includes YOU! Secondly, no question is silly or stupid.
    <<hugs to you for reaching out>> You can do this! I know this disease can be frustrating at times, and it's one of those times for you.
    Don't forget there is a thread for other type 1's just a little further down the list from the one you just posted on... http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6

I'm sure others would be willing to help if you posted here too. I would! Farther up in the corner of your page you'll see private message... Kel4han is a type 1 and has a daughter with type 1, I'm sure she could be some help to you. Enter kel4han into the recipient line and send her off a message.

Does your Dr's office have a CDE or nurse that could start you in the right direction? Start logging info, so you can start looking back and doing some adjustments!
    Chin up, with some work, you'll be back in range!
    Thinking of you!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  4. kel4han

kel4han Approved members

Have you ever been to Diabetesforums.com ???? This website was the first place I ended up after my own diagnosis as type 1 in 2005. A website for adults from newly diagnosed to diagnosed as children, up to 50 year veterans of the disease. They taught me everything I needed to know. I know you have many years dealing with this under your belt, but they take you in with kind words of support, encouragement and a whole new perspective. They help you find humor, strength, and wisdom. Perhaps you need other adults with type 1 to help you get back on track. This website Diabetesforums.com is where you will find it!

5. kel4han

kel4han Approved members

Sorry my link won't work. Hope you find your way there! :)

6. lilkittykt

lilkittykt Approved members

(((((HUG)))))
    D can be hard, I too have had it for almost 31 years, and often struggle with things, my daughter is also D- and so much effort and energy goes into keeping her healthy that I let my own care take the back burner.
    My doctor said it was Diabetes burn-out, and suggested that I get the book, which I did and it offered some inspiration to me, and got me back up and running the right way.
    Some helpful sites, that you may want to join, are:
    http://tudiabetes.com

http://diabetestalkfest.ning.com

http:///diabeticrockstarcommunity.ning.com

7. wilf

wilf Approved members

Hey big hug coming your way from Canada! I don't have a lot to add to the posts above, except that I've read Pumping Insulin and learned lots from it even though we aren't pumping. Probably a great reference for you.

Diabetes can wear you down, but the good thing is that every day is a new day which provides a chance to do things differently. If it's hard on your own to keep your BG in range, it might be worth trying to find someone to act as a "coach" (like you do for your child) and/or to look for a support group on-line or in your town.

Good luck!

8. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

I just wanted to post to offer my encouragement and that I hope you find the exact resources you need to improve the pumping experience.

I have the utmost respect for you for posting and asking for help! :cwds:

{{hugs}} from Ohio, Laurie