- advertisement -

Artificial Pancreas Article

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by HBMom, Jun 22, 2013.

1. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

This actually made our local news last night. Medtronic must be hurting, because otherwise I can't fathom why they issued this big press release about a device that has been available in scads of countries since 2009 and that has been hung up in the FDA process for over a year here. Progress, my foot.

3. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

4. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

I thought the article was talking about the low cut off - not the entire "artificial pancreas". I am hoping the low cut off is here a lot sooner than 2017!

5. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

Me too - esp if its been out in Europe!

6. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

Please explain me something:
    with this system you won't be able to bolus BEFORE the meal, right?
    In our case DD has to take Humalog 40 minutes before breakfast (waffles) to avoid the spike after (we figured it out just recently - thank you G4!).

7. Mish

Mish Approved members

The medtronic "veo" or whatever it will be called in the US has very little to do with the actual Artificial Pancreas which is being trialed in real time, on real users, in the real world right now. A pump that does nothing but pumps regular insulin as directed by the user and simply shuts down when the BG is low isn't an AP.

The AP pumps in trial use a combination of dexcom sensors, and pumps with glucagon and insulin in which the user has to do almost nothing. They really are artificial pancreases (pancreii?) Having 2 friends now that have been on the 1 week trial (One did it twice), I'm simply AMAZED at the technology and how close it really is. The hardware is still not there, but the algorithms are getting there.

http://www.artificialpancreas.org/Home_Page.html

8. Mish

Mish Approved members

This is just a regular old pump with a minimed sensor which functions exactly like a regular pump functions now. Only, if your BG goes low it shuts off.

woohee.

:rolleyes:

9. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

It might not be a big deal to some people, but a low shut off will allow me to sleep in peace when my son is away at college. A big step (AP) would be great, but I'll take a little step until the big one gets here! :)

10. hawkeyegirl

I think people are just eye-rolly about it because Medtronic has been billing it as the Next Big Thing for years, and can't seem to get it through the FDA. The fact that they issued this big press release about it now when it is STILL not through the FDA is just typical MM. All hat and no cattle. ;)

I will also say that the LAST thing I'd want is my MM sensor shutting off automatically when it detected a low. With the number of false lows we had on the thing, it would be more likely to send my son into DKA than it would to prevent a hypo seizure.

11. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

Apparently, it only shuts off for 2 hours, so most people would not go into DKA in that time. Most of us with older kids would love this feature (if we can get then to wear a CGMS:rolleyes:). It is available in 50 countries, so I am not sure what concerns the FDA has that the other's don't. Michelle'sMom posted this article in another thread which is interesting:
    http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE95L08X20130622?irpc=932

12. hawkeyegirl

Yes, I've had plenty of time to read about the Veo in the 4 years it has been on the market in other countries.

I was using hyperbole in my prior post. I know my son wouldn't go into DKA. But he'd wake up screamingly high on a regular basis. Back when we thought the Veo would be our next pump, I had already decided that this feature would be turned off for us. I also believe it will resuspend if the sensor still reads low after the 2 hour period, so it is possible that it would suspend for longer than 2 hours.

I just think it's funny that MM is doing this big press blitz on it, giving the impression that it's some great new product. (1) It's not new and (2) It's not available yet. I think they are feeling the hit from Dexcom's G4.

13. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

I am sure they are feeling the hit from the G4 and threatened by the Tandem We have neither available in Canada (so how does that happen?). I have heard they are working on a I-phone style pump, but who knows how long that will take. It is frustrating to commit to 4 - 5 years with a product when technology is a-changing and approvals are so inconsistent across countries. I am kinda glad DD is taking a pump break.

14. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Kind of like the cure that is "right around the corner" :rolleyes:

15. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

I was excited about the Veo & the prospect of it finally being available until I started researching the Enlite sensors. From everything I had read before, the Enlite was supposed to be the greatest. Based on what I'm reading from current users, I think we'll stick with what we have. I wouldn't trust the CGM shutting the pump off.

16. Mish

Mish Approved members

yeah, given the accuracy of MM's sensors for many of us I wouldn't ever trust it. We never had any that effectively caught lows. And shutting off basal for 2 hours during a low does...nothing. You're still low and going lower probably for 2 hours. And by the time you respond you've had 2 hours of no basal which will kick you in the ass later. And if you're still low, it will continue. Given the ridiculously quiet alarms on the MM pump (which the Veo has the same) and the fact that the enlite sensors won't hook to a guardian unit, you're then relying on a person having a bad low, with their pump buried under their bed covers, hearing a very faint alarm. And the fact that it's simply not new technology - we've been talking about this with MM since at least 2008 and has been on the market for years in other countries, I think it's a big fat eye roll.

Well, given that my friends were able to eat whatever they wanted, exercise like mad women and and drink alcohol all without any real intervention on their part, and do it NOW with the prototypes, then I am going to say it really is right around the corner. It's not a cure, don't get me wrong, and they still need to work on putting it all together in a more portable, user friendly package that doesn't require 2 pumps and 2 sensors etc. But the hard part with the algorithms is really 'right there'.

But given the fact that the more they learn about diabetes the more they learn that there isn't really just "one" type of type 1. (ie, more than just autoimmune related type 1) And when a cure that focuses solely on autoimmune response happens and a lot of people aren't cured, then people are going to be happy that we have things like APs that help along.