- advertisement -

Are you doing anything for Diabetes Awareness Month?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by slpmom2, Nov 7, 2011.

1. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

During November I post a Diabetes Fact of the Day on my FB wall every day (or, at least, every day that I get around to it!:rolleyes:). I figure it's a way to get some factual information out there easily, in an effort to raise awareness and understanding.

Curious to know what other people are doing.

2. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

I did that one year, had one friend tell me "enough already"....I've unfriended that person. Matter of fact, Jonah (Lantusfiend) had some great ones he posted here one year. I used many of them. I do have the blue circle on my profile picture.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I hang my World Diabetes Day flag our for the month of Nov.
    I may do blue light bulbs on the 14th.

I can't find the blue circle to add to my fb profile though, anyone remember where it is?

4. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

6. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

7. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I'm handing out diabetes etiquette cards, with three points of what you shoud/should not say/ do to a diabetic. I'm also handing out braclets made of rubber bands that I wrote on, they say "Diabetes is bad enough" on one side, and "Be Nice" on the other. if anyone wants pictures you can find them here http://faith-injected.blogspot.com/ on my blog:D.

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm not really doing anything beyond what I do outside of this month. I explain diabetes if people ask or it is relevant in conversation.

I also participated in the WDD postcard exchange which was pretty cool. I check my mailbox every morning in hope of my postcard arriving - they should come anytime between now and the 14th!

9. mocha

mocha Approved members

I do the big blue test, as well as drawing blue circles around campus. I like seeing them saved on the dry erase boards and chalk boards. Yes, I buy blue chalk for November! :p

10. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

Our family was featured in a local publication for Diabetes Awareness Month with an audience of 4,000+. It was a full color page about our story about diagnosis, living with diabetes and how to seek additional information. That's probably the biggest thing we've done as a family. We also are participating in the WDD postcard exchange (love it!). We sent out our postcard today in honor of Connor's 5-year Diaversary - today. That's half his life having diabetes :(. I am offering 20% off of my Etsy shop for Diabetes Awareness Month, and I added a Treasury for Diabetes Awareness. I post some information on FB too, but I do that year around. My profile is set as my WDD postcard, so it pops up whenever I comment on FB (which is a lot).

11. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

I'm posting diabetes facts & myths on my FB page. Not every day, so people don't get sick of it.
    We've put a blue bulb in our porch light, and we turn it on for at least a couple of hours every night.
    Campbell is on student council, and he usually makes an announcement at school about world diabetes day and tries to get everyone to wear blue that day.

12. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

After coming up with the diabetes fact list last year, I got inspired to think of interesting facts and to learn something new about diabetes for every day that month, and I'm doing it again this month.

So far this month:
    Did you know that diabetes first appeared in the English language as "diabete" - without an s?
    Did you know that the OGTT was developed in 1917?
    Did you know that hair contains fructosamine levels that correlate well with A1c?
    Did you know that fructosamine is a generic word for byproducts between fructose and proteins but in medicine refers to one particular type?
    Did you know that a sugar is a monosaccharide or a disaccharide? Did you know that dextrose is a type of glucose (a monosaccharide, btw)?
    Did you know that four companies manufacture insulin for sale in the US, all of them with multibillion dollar annual budgets, and that two of the four (Novo Nordisk and Eli Lilly) were founded specifically to make and sell insulin? Eli Lilly for the North American Market, Novo for the European market. Of the other two, Merck has been around a lot longer and Sanofi is a baby.

Last year I learned that:
    Jackie Robinson, first known African American in MLB history, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes the year he retired from baseball. Two of his brothers were diagnosed with type 1 diabetes as children.
    The only animal derived insulin currently for sale in the United States is vetsulin, manufactured by Merck, derived from pigs, and marketed as being for dogs.
    The majority of people in the world do not have access to insulin.
    Insulin secretion is inversely proportional to glucagon secretion, and in a normal pancreas, both are produced in waves that crest every three minutes, with the crest of one being the trough of the other. This results in chronic hypersecretion of glucagon in persons whose beta cells are damaged but who have normal alpha cells (that is to say, a majority of type 1 diabetics).
    The highest blood sugar on record was 5,600 mg/dl. The story is that this guy in his late 20s, no known health issues, was discovered unconscious and very clearly dehydrated on a very hot day. Paramedics assumed that he had passed from dehydration when actually he'd passed out from DKA. They gave him an IV of sugar water and on arrival at he hospital... yeah.
    Although the only way you can buy insulin is for injection, there are or have been projects working on making inhaled insulin, suppository insulin, eyedrop insulin (works in an animal model!), and by mouth.

So yeah. For diabetes awareness month I'm increasing my own awareness of diabetes trivia.

13. Jillian06

Jillian06 Approved members

This is great trivia. Thanks for sharing :)

14. purplewowies

purplewowies Approved members

They're trying to get 8,000 people to do the Big Blue Test by the 14th. If 8,000 people share their results on the website by the 14th, more than 8,000 people with diabetes will get insulin.

15. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

I post a blurb on my fb page. All of my comments have been positive, or 'likes'. I too would defriend someone if they asked me to stop posting about diabetes! Good choice!

16. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I am doing the big blue test as well. I am wondering if one can do it more than one time.

17. purplewowies

purplewowies Approved members

Yes, per the faq: http://www.bigbluetest.org/faq/

I will be doing it five times, since the only amount of test strips I'll be able to get my hands on is 10.

18. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I just posted once about the symptoms on FB, actually directed people to a list of symptoms. Other than that, I'm not doing anything. Kinda really tired about it being D 24/7/365 even if we don't show it as such, kwim:(?

19. carcha

carcha Approved members

We had a flea market today at my school and the $700 that was raised will be donated to JDRF. Plus, we had a brief lesson in each class about Type 1.

20. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

What great ideas! I hadn't even heard of the Big Blue Test - will have to check it out. And Jonah - thanks for the trivia facts - very fun!