- advertisement -

Are we stuck with Dexcom or can we switch?

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by calebsmom1113, Feb 3, 2011.

1. calebsmom1113

calebsmom1113 Approved members

Does anyone know if it can be returned or if insurance will allow you to get a different one? I thought I remembered hearing that you can't but just wondering. I'm not very happy with this CGM, especially the range. It's only 5 feet and the main thing my husband and I wanted was to put Caleb's monitor in our room overnight. Even with the low range, it keeps saying he's out of range and now after day 4 or 5 he's complaining of severe itching from the sensor. I'm over it. What should we do?

2. selketine

selketine Approved members

I think you have 30 days to return it to Dexcom - after that I would guess it is yours or you would need to talk to them about it. Not sure if they'd allow a return after 30 days.

Some people with a Dex use a baby monitor and put the receiver in something that will make a loud rattle into the monitor. Perhaps you can try something like that.

As for itchy tape - BTDT - a lot of us have had this problem and there are different ways of going about making it better (we use an "underbandage" but cut out a hole where the sensor goes).

Perhaps try some of those things or have you tried them all? Sorry it isn't working out.

3. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

I don't know about itchy since DS thankfully has no problem with the adhesive. But if you go to Radio shack, you can get a wireless mic. We put our son's Dex in a backpack at night (to help keep out the noise of his TV, snoring, etc) with the mic. We have NO problem hearing that sucker go off! :D

4. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I don't know about the returning and can't speak to the itching, but unfortunately, the only CGM that has the potential range to keep the receiver in your room is the Navigator, and its currently not on the market.

5. selketine

selketine Approved members

I just want to add that it really took me MONTHS to actually get into a "groove" with getting the cgms to work - getting it calibrated nicely, figuring out how to keep his skin from blistering from the sensor tape, etc. Then figuring out how to keep it on in the summer while swimming.

Perhaps you know you don't want it - but I think a month is a short time to figure everything out.

6. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Thirty days was your "full refund" limit. You could call Dexcom and see if they'll refund you.
    The warrantee is only one year for anything CGMS related so my guess is that insurance would not pay for a new system in less than a year, but there's no reason that they wouldn't pay for sensors if you bought the Guardian system.

7. buggle

buggle Approved members

Dana,

We are reluctant new Dexcom users. We just started it a few days ago. I've been pretty frustrated with it. The range and poor accuracy has been driving me crazy. But as I speak, I'm in our bedroom and Brendan is in his bedroom -- probably 30 feet away -- I have the Dex receiver with me and it's reading. Before, it wouldn't read a few feet away. I don't know why it's working, but I'm not complaining! About that, anyway. :p

Do you guys find that Caleb is sensitive to the adhesives on his infusion set? We had a CGM before a pump -- got the Navigator about 6 months post-dx and had it about about 6 months before starting a pump. The Nav transmitter has a pretty big footprint. There's a pic of Brendan wearing it on my FB page if you want to look. Brendan had no reaction for a long time. We started the OmniPod, which is also pretty large footprint with no skin reactions and after a few months, Brendan started reacting to everything -- we couldn't find an adhesive he could tolerate. One of the moms here suggested we try Tough Pads as an underbandage and it's helped a ton. Other people have had luck with other adhesives as underbandages. Is Caleb just itchy or is his skin getting sores? There are various things you can do to help the skin issues.

You guys have been trying longer than we have with the Dex. Some people love CGM and some never find it worth the bother. I'm having to change my expectations since the Dex is very different from the Navigator.

A lot of people are happy with the Minimed and you could look into it. I doubt if your insurance will cover a second one, but it can't hurt to ask.

8. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

You have 30 days to return the Dex.

Do you still want to do cgms? The other system on the market right now is the Minimed. I've used it for 3 years. The needle is bigger than the Dex and the weartime is shorter. Personally, our Minimed range is less than 5 feet. I know others have a different experience and are getting 5-6 feet. I don't think either system will allow you to monitor from your bedroom. We are waiting for a Dex to be approved by our insurance company.

There is a BIG learning curve to the cgms, whether it is Dex or Minimed. It takes a lot of patience to use them in the beginning.

Good luck!

Patricia

9. sage68

sage68 Approved members

I actually have 2D kids and one is on MM and the other is on Dex. The range sucks for both! I have baby monitors in each of the girls' rooms and i lean the receiver against it and I can hear it plain as day in my room.

When we first started the CGM back in July, both of my girls had Dex. HUGE learning curve! I was about ready to throw the receivers up against wall! It took me several months to get the hang of them. Then, about October, Anne started showing a severe allergic reaction to the Dex adhesive. She would be scratching at it horribly and it would be a red, rashy, weepy mess when we would take it off. It was horrible and i felt so bad for her. We tried all sorts of other adhesive barriers in hopes it would help but the Dex adhesive seeped through every time and would leave a perfect ring where the Dex was. It was amazing! So, we did switch in December to MM. We actually did get our insurance to cover the new unit. We just had to prove that she was allergic to Dex (our pedi actually saw the rashy, weepy mess and sent a letter in stating that Anne couldn't be on this system anymore) and within a week, we had the MM and it has been wonderful! And Anne has very little reaction to the MM sensors. She does rash a tiny bit but it doesn't bother her and within 24 hours of removing the sensor and putting some hydrocortisone cream on it, it is completely cleared up.

Personally, I prefer MM and when I can get a new system for Elly, I will be moving her to MM. I just love their predictor alarms and Anne's BS numbers just seem to be more accurate with MM, IMO. Definitely try and return it and see if your insurance will cover a new one if that's what you want to do. I know our insurance did cover a new one for Anne. But, there is definitely a learning curve and it did take me several months to get it down and learn to love the CGM.