- advertisement -

Apidra?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mommy To 4, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Mommy To 4

Mommy To 4 Approved members

Just hoping someone can tell me a little about Apidra. My DD has been having huge spikes between meals. Goes well over 350 but drops into range about 30 minutes before the next meal. Endo thinks Apidra might help with this because we have tried to lower her carb ratio so she gets more insulin, but then she goes low about an hour before her next meal. We are on MDI and I was just looking for any advice that may help with the change. Thanks!

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We've been using apidra for a little over 2 years. For the most part it was equal switching (same ratio/basal rates). Definitely works faster, and definitely lowers the spike, especially if you pre-bolus.. Love the days where we get no spike at all. :)

3. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

We were having the same problem with post meal spikes. He would hit 250-300 after every meal even with a long pre bolus. Since switching to apidra we hardly ever see big post meal spikes.

We were lucky that our basals and I:C ratio stayed the same the only thing that changed was the insulin duration.

Apidra starts working quicker but leaves the body sooner. My endo suggested we give it a try and you could always switch back if you are not happy with it.

We will not be switching back because it has worked very well for us. I say give it a try :)

4. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

We just tried Apidra on MDI on a pump break and my daughter and I both hated it. It did seem to start to work a little faster, but still took 4 hours for the full effects of the bolus. Our endo and CDE do not think it works any faster. With the Novorapid, after 2 hours we see 60% of the drop in blood sugar and the remaining 40% in the last 2 hours. With the Apidra, much more of the drop was in the 4th hour. There are people on this forum who find it is faster with no tail. It had a big tail in my daughter.

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Apidra may help, but I think that giving the shot before the meal 15-30 minutes before would help more. The timing is off with the insulin and the food. Give the insulin more of a head start than you are doing.

6. etringali

etringali Approved members

we used it for a few months. at first it was great, but then he developed a nasty rash at his pump site. Had never happened before. And the apidra stopped working. He had an allergic reaction to it, so back to Novalog we went.

7. Mommy To 4

I do give her shot always at least 15 minutes before she eats. I set a timer for 15 minutes after she gets her shot. When that goes off I put together whatever it may be that she is having. So it is usually between 15 and 30 minutes. Her endo also suggested giving the protein piece of her meal first so we do that as well. Nothing seems to curb the spike.

8. Mommy To 4

Thanks!

Thank you for your input everyone. It appears that it is hit or miss with Apidra. I guess we will try and see if it works. No harm no foul I guess. I just feel like it is really bad for her to get that high so fast and then drop. This is still new to us so I'm still trying to figure it all out. Thanks again, everyone.

9. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

If 15 minutes isn't working then try 30. If that doesn't work try 40.

You said you increased the amount of insulin given but then she goes low an hour before the next meal. What are the timing of the meals?

Since you are still in the early days you may also be seeing the Honeymoon effect, where her body is releasing insulin in response to her eating.

10. Mommy To 4

Her meals are about 4 hours apart most days. Since she is on the autism spectrum and ADHD sometimes getting her to eat is a bit of a challenge, but for the most part that is what we strive for. Still not as predictable as I would like.

11. Yellow Tulip

Yellow Tulip Approved members

For my son, Apidra definitely brings down the highs faster. I think as a general rule it also keeps the spikes at bay. I would definitely try it for your daughter. You can always switch back if it isn't working.

Christopher mentioned extended prebolusing - just be careful going that far in advance. We've had a couple of very scary lows by doing that. Now I won't go past 20 mins unless he's starting out on the higher end of his range and wearing a cgm. I didn't notice if you use the cgm - it is extremely helpful with safe prebolusing.

12. Mommy To 4

Working on the CGM. Can't come soon enough for me. We have had some really scary lows (24 & 31) that she doesn't feel. Not only does she not feel them and say anything, she has no visible physical symptoms. I am not comfortable giving her insulin more than 30 minutes early, maybe because we are so new at this, but it scares me. :(