- advertisement -

AP poll

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jordansmom, Jan 27, 2010.

?

Would you use an AP with 2-3 sensors and 1 or 2 pump sites?

Poll closed Feb 3, 2010.
  1. I am a parent: I would not do it, my child would also not be willing

65 vote(s)
    74.7%
  2. I am a parent: I would do it, and my child would be willing

4 vote(s)
    4.6%
  3. I am a parent: I would do it, but my child would not be willing

4 vote(s)
    4.6%
  4. I am a parent: I would not do it, but my child would be willing

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. I am an adult with D: I would do it

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  6. I am an adult with D: I would not do it

8 vote(s)
    9.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Would you be willing to use 2-3 sensors at one time and 1 or 2 pump sites, if your pump could automatically shut off with a sensor reading below 70 and increase insulin output if the sensor read above 200? Is 3-5 insertions and sites worth it to you?

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

No...I know 100% for a fact that my child would not do that - I practically have to arm wrestle her to wear a CGMS and in fact, this weekend I plan on trying the $5.00 trick - you wear it, I give you $5.00!

Her complaint - she does not like the extra site! And that is just 1 extra...

3. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

No, I can barely get Seth to have one site...He would FREAK OUT with all those contraptions on him...:eek:

4. bkfkmc

bkfkmc Approved members

That would be too many sites for my child, in my opinion. The benefit versus quality of life would not be worth it to me. We do fairly well with a site and sensor, but it would have to be something out of this world to justify wearing that many sites at one time.

5. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

That to me is just plain out cruel...
    Imagine fitting Diabetes easily into normal life with that lot....

6. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

We're still MDI I cant imagine trying to get him used to all that even if we had pump start before

7. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

As much as I think DH & I would love to have an actual AP that works I just don't think Logan would tolerate all of that. He is 3, I have to bribe him and deal with tears for sensors and infusion sets now. And on the day when both need to be changed it can be traumatic to both of us.

And I don't think I could handle seeing all of "that" on my son. Seeing 2 sites is enought to make me teary now. I hate that he has to wear all of this hardware every day but I also feel we need this equipment to do the best possible job in keeping him healthy.

So I guess only time will tell. Logan will be 7 then. Will he go for it? Probably not. Will I give him the option if we feel it would be worthwhile? Probably. It will likely be something that we will have to wait and try when/if he is ready and we have enough confidence in it that the positives outweight the negatives.

8. 22jules

22jules Approved members

No way!!! Especially since it really is not an "artificial pancreas" that will operate solely without human intervention at some point!

9. madde

madde Approved members

NO WAY!

I agree with the comment that it would be just plain cruel. There is now way I would even suggest to Madison to wear all those sensors.

10. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Why would all the different insertion sites be needed? Is it backup?

While I'm interested in new developments in technology, I think the one pump site and sensor site is enough. Also, It's going to take a few years out on the market before I'd let Ava wear any new device.

11. Toni

Toni Banned

No way. I missed first 20 minutes of Kowalski's report but I would like to listen to it again or read transcript. Sis would need to hear this and she is working. TWO sensors! And pump site? She is not a human pincushion!

12. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

Assuming that the sensors are just as invasive and large as they are currently. No :(

Assuming the pump sites are just as invasive and large as they are currently. No :(

Assuming that all the sites would be recommended to be changed every 3 days. No :eek:

13. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Dr. Kowalski's address on the Artificial pancreas included the comment that 2-3 Dexcom sensors would be neccessary. Plus a pumpsite and potentially a site for glucagon if that featrure is added in the future.

14. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

I haven't listened to the report, but our endo was telling me about it at our last visit. Due to the possible inaccuracy of sensors, they would need 2 sensors to agree before dosing, so probably 3 sensors total. Two would have to agree. That was where I became much LESS excited about AP.

Unless they are able to drastically reduce the size of the sensor, increase the length of usage, and and get rid of the Sensor failure problems, I just can't get excited about it.

15. Toni

Toni Banned

Kowalski did mention JDRF partnering with BD. BD is developing the micro-needles. Depending on what these needles are, how invasive, this could change my mind. Again, very concerned about accuracy and reliability of the sensors.

16. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

No way! We just did a site change, and that's 1 site only, and let me tell you this time it was not a good change.:(

17. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

This is copied and pasted from another thread where I posted it:

But to respond to the poll, no. We would not. He doesn't have enough real estate for one, and I cannot imagine dealing with up to four sites.

18. bbirdnuts@aol.com

bbirdnuts@aol.com Approved members

I would not and Carolina would not want to have that many sites. There are only so many places on a body that can be used and none of us want our children to have scar tissue from sites.

19. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

My answer is no but I am not sure of the point of the poll. This is all conjecture at this point. No one knows what the final product will look like. So why poll. :confused: Maybe I am just sleep deprived and grumpy....:eek:

20. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Well, there's an endo who knows what he's talking about!

In engineering we call this "redundancy with majority voting", and it works really well in applications like airspeed sensors on aircraft.

Bet even then, when one sensor disagrees, the pilot is notified and must intervene and make a human judgement. Same as now with the CGM.

So even with closed loop I don't see what will change from what we have today. If the concern is a person not waking up at night, I'd prefer a louder alarm to trusting a closed loop control system to determine if my dd will wake up in the morning.