- advertisement -

Anyone with adverse event from test strip problems?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeff, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

As many of you know, some of us in the Diabetes Online Community are encouraging FDA to do more to ensure that glucose test strips coming in from outside the US meet accuracy standards under which they were originally approved. You can learn more about this effort at www.StripSafely.com.

A major national news organization is interested in learning more about this issue. They are looking for someone who has had an adverse outcome because of innacurate glucose test strips.

Please contact me via PM or email (jeffh@childrenwithdiabetes.com) if you are interested in helping.

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Jeff - The NZ government is now only providing Caresens Meters and Strips to New Zealanders. The results are really shocking.. although the meters meet ISO standards there are some pictures and stories of really inaccurate results at this FB page if that helps. Stop Pharmac

3. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Approved members

That's the point Jane. The claim that the meters meet ISO standards is based solely on manufacturer statements and manufacturer-funded studies. When it comes to low-cost meters these studies often bear little relation to real life performance which is the crux of the Strip Safely campaign. That's why we need independent studies.

Interestingly, if you compare the results of the Christchurch Diabetes Service evaluation of the NPOP meter against the new ISO standard the meter fails by a long way.

Jeff, the New Zealand situation is one you should all follow. Although at the extreme end, i.e. funding is restricted to a single low-cost manufacturer, the effects on diabetics and their ability to control their diabetes has been frightening.

4. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I absolutely know that is the point!

5. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Approved members

Sorry Jane, that came across badly. I know you know the situation all too well!

My comment was aimed at anyone reading this thinking that if a manufacturer claims a meter meets the ISO standard then it must be fine. We both know that their studies are easily manipulated and can be wildly different from their actual performance.

Keep pushing. We'll get the decent meters back.

6. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Thanks - see how tense the whole situation is making us..
    :cwds::cwds::cwds::):cwds: