- advertisement -

Anyone use the I-port or Insuflon?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momofphoenix, Aug 10, 2007.

1. momofphoenix

momofphoenix Approved members

My son's endo wants us to try the iport or insuflon I'm not sure tho, I have info on both and have been looking on line also. Our insurance company covers the Insuflon but not the Iport (not that the cost is an issue) but I dont want to pay a ton of money for something that isnt as good/comfortable as the doctor says it is.

Phoenix is starting to complain about so many injections everyday so they thought these might help him with the stress of injections.

Any info or advice would be great thanks in advance...

2. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

We haven't tried it but we have a diabetes book written by a Swedish doctor and in Sweden they use these a lot. Sounds like they often set young kids up with them right away.

I assume it would be like a pump infusion set -- great when it works, a pain when it comes unstuck before it's supposed to etc.

If you try it, let us know how it's working out. It would certainly make life easier, I think, if you have a child who likes to eat frequently and doesn't like needles.

3. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

We learned about both the Iport and Insuflon while we were at the FFL conference in July. The concept is the same with either.

We have our next endo appt on Wed and this is one of the topics we want to discuss. Using one of these technologies seems like such a no-brainer.

We are leaning towards the Insuflon because it's smaller but either would be an improvement over MDIs.

4. missnme

missnme Approved members

We received samples of the I-port from our doc to use if we have another pump malfunction. Our endo and CDE recommended the I-port over the Insuflon due to the straight in cannula for our daughter. We use straight-in sets for the pump and they work well for her small size.

5. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

We have used the insuflon many times. When my son wants to go on a "pump break" we use the insuflon. The I-port does not work very well for him because it is a 90 deg set. We put the insuflon on his tummy so he is able to do his own injection. We also have a script for saline so that we do not have to put more insulin in than is needed. We put the insulin in and then flush the port with saline. It really comes down to preference, the angled sets work better for my son than the straight in one (on the tummy area).

shannon

6. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We use the Insuflon. We don't mind the "angled in". We do numb the area with Emla since Emma is so young and the needle is, I might say, a bit LONG but then we don't have to deal with Humalog injections.

There is conflicting information about whether you can do both Lantus and Humalog in the port - we have been told to ONLY do the Humalog in the port. So we still have a stick of Lantus each day but not bad.

Good practice, though, for when you would move to a pump

7. MelissaC

MelissaC Approved members

My daughter uses the Iport with much success! We started about one month ago and the cost is realtively reasonable. We pay 13 a month (with insurance) for 10 ports. Easy in and easy out - no numbing cream - I wore one for three days to give it a try and had no problems -

Great to use if you are tryingto stop numbers from spiking - we give some humalog before a meal and then cover the rest after the meal - we love it - if you want some more info you can personally email me.

PS... not good at the beach tho - i guess the suncreen and sand make the adhesive less ticky BUT we swim everyday and bathe with it with no problems..

Good Luck!

8. MelissaC

MelissaC Approved members

In response to Nancy's post above me.... we do both Lantus and Humalof in the i-port - forgot to tell you that you do need to "flush" the port with saline to make sure it all goes in but to me that is not an issue :D

Avery loves it because it is one big stick every three days verses 5-8 per day!

9. momofphoenix

Thanks for all the replies I am calling his doc and the insurance company, My husband and I both think the iport would be best seems easier to insert, my son however is very leery of trying it any suggestions? Also where do you insert it? Legs, arm, butt tummy?

We do injections in the tummy can you put it there?

10. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

WOW, I never even knew this thing existed LOL.. I wonder if I can get a few to save for a pump malfuntion.. looks exactly the same as her quickset does!

11. missnme

missnme Approved members

Just an FYI for swimming with either of these, apply Skin Tac or Mastisol on the skin after the normal prep and let it dry, then insert the I-port or Insuflon. Sticks like glue and will last just like a pump infusion site. Jess has stayed wet for 6 hours at the beach with it and it never comes off.

12. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I got a box of ports months ago and have only used half because four of them went poorly and because of psychological issues.
    Site irritation was a very major problem for me. I washed the sites with soap and water, and then my mother inserts the ports (you have to use force- learned the hard way with the first one), and it'll be ok for a couple of hours and then starts to get red and bruise. I've had that kind of reaction with even bandaids these days, so I think I've just developed an insensitivity.

13. bluemom

bluemom Approved members

How do you get the adhesive off?

14. momofphoenix

Hmmmmmmm very good information I have put a call into the doc to see if they will send me a rx I would like for them to fax it to me (that way I can get it right away)
    Did you use a numing cream?

15. WendyFL

WendyFL Approved members

My daughter tried the IPort, but really doesn't care for it. We have 3 boxes of ports, a package of Tegaderm, and a tube of cream, Emla cream I think (may be generic). I'm willing to pass them on to someone who might be able to use them--at cost, and cost of postage to ship them. Send me a private message, if interested.

I hope it is okay for me to post this!:cwds:

16. missnme

missnme Approved members

We use Remove wipes, but other parents have posted that baby oil works well too.

17. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

jesse tried the I Port a few weeks ago... Now he's been pumping for 4.5 years, But was such a chicken inserting the IPort. He said it was painful.. so I tried one and it didnt feel any different to me than a regular infusion set.
    I think he just decided before the insertion that he was gonna hate it.