- advertisement -

Anyone use Optum Rx?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Beach bum, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Just got a letter that our UHC plan will be transitioning from Medco to Optum Rx. Luckily our coverage won't change, so I'm more curious as to how they are to deal with. The one thing I'm hoping is that the turn around on scrips might be a bit quicker...

2. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

3. Beach bum

Ugh great, you must have UHC too, we switch in April also. We just got our letter today, so I'm going to start looking into them more. Thank you for this link, though it makes me feel even more uneasy! I'm almost thinking that it's worth to pay the extra $$$ to avoid the hassle of the pump supplies. It's hard enough to get Medco to understand our needs (and that's with our endo faxing in all proper info).

I will post back when I have some info...

4. Beach bum

Aaack!:eek:

Have read about 20 reviews on this company and am now really scared about using them. Looks like I have to plan on a shipping time of up to 21 days from start to finish of an order.

5. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

We may need to mobilize our community to publicly fight for what we need - come April. I have already tweeted to UHC about my concerns. Wondering what if any response I'll receive

6. Beach bum

I plan on being on the phone with UHC Monday morning speaking to a supervisor with reference to this link. In addition, I am forwarding this to the HR rep at my husbands company.

The stories people have shared are horrible. I've filled all my daughters scrips for now so that we have a bit of a buffer to work with.

7. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I saw this tweet - hope it's wrong

:eek:

Henry Mensch @henare
    nothing like a website that only works during business hours, @OptumRx ...

8. Beach bum

9. Beach bum

BBB Review:
    http://www.bbb.org/minnesota/busine.../unitedhealth-group-in-minnetonka-mn-21000358

Customer Complaints SummaryRead complaint details
    749 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 313 closed in last 12 months
    Complaint Type Total Closed Complaints
    Advertising / Sales Issues 30
    Billing / Collection Issues 260
    Delivery Issues 28
    Guarantee / Warranty Issues 3
    Problems with Product / Service 428
    Total Closed Complaints 749

Versus MedCo UHC previous company...
    23 complaints closed with BBB in last 3 years | 6 closed in last 12 months
    Complaint Type Total Closed Complaints
    Advertising / Sales Issues 5
    Billing / Collection Issues 11
    Problems with Product / Service 7
    Delivery Issues 0
    Guarantee / Warranty Issues 0
    Total Closed Complaints 23

FYI...Just saw MedCo filed for Chap. 11

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I saw a sign up in the CVS drive thru window saying it is now accepting Medco. But I am not sure how that works?

We just started with Foundation care pharmacy, I LOVE THEM compared to Edgepark for DME or Medco for Rx. They are kind and caring, ask you what is the best way to deal with your Dr. I honestly have never had any DME or Rx company be soo good. It was like they were sitting in my kitchen and taking a personal order from me! CAN NOT say enough about them. The Animas and Dexcom orders were drop-shipe with 2day Fedex at no additional charge! I actually got a email from Dexcom saying the order was on its way within 5 hours.

2 boxes of Dexcom sensors we will pay the Rx cost of $15. Never been able to do that before! I encourage anyone looking to save money to call them and just see if they can use them for DME or even Rx, They ask you how much you use monthly and then tell you how they will ask the Dr. to write the Rx so that you save the most money by getting what you need each month instead of worring about if you need just one more that monthe due to illness or anything else.

I think I need to make a seperate thread for this.

11. JNBryant

JNBryant Approved members

I use CVS Caremark for our prescription mail service, but I did stop in there earlier this morning to pick up a script for insulin syringes and while I was there, I asked about them accepting Medco. I was told by the pharmacist not all CVS pharmacies accept medco and that it varies by region, but all you have to do is take your medco script there and have it filled. I will say that I couldn't help but read some of the reviews of Optum RX and I was absolutely appalled. It just blows my mind that they can get away with that kind of service, especially when you're dealing with people who need certain meds to stay alive. UHC should be ashamed for associating with a company that conducts themselves in that manner.

12. Beach bum

Sadly, we will have no choice but to use OptumRx. We have UHC and this is who they have switched to.
    We've had few if any issues with Medco. I'm wondering if their filing chap 11 was the reason UHC made the switch. Also wonder how much research the did on the company? Looking at the bbb reports, it's really scary and appalling.
    We won't have to do our first scrip until April, I think we should have enough supplies for the anticipated bumpy road ahead.

13. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

14. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

in anticipation of issues with your new mail-order I would ask for generous Rx's to be written to be filled at local Pharmacy to make it as eeconomical, get ahead a month and then "try" your new company. If you don't like it then you have a decision to be made.

15. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

For us only Novolog can be ordered through mail order. I hate that. I just ordered Novolog for both kids. Hopefully some of this will be worked out before I need it again.

16. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

What? You can not get it at a local pharmacy? or because of the amount you need in your house, you "need to" order it from Mail-order?

17. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Because I am getting Novolog they require me to get it through mail order. If I order Humalog or Aprida I could get through local pharmacy. It didn't work as good as Novolog for my kids(mostly younger one). I may have to retry the other insulins .
    Younger son could only get 2 days from a site on Apidra. Strangely our A1C's went up too

18. Beach bum

We can only order 3 refills through local pharmacy, then UHC won't pay unless you go mail order. It's for any long term scrip. You can get it from the pharmacy, but you pay 100%

Medco was slow but they were always pretty good about getting supplies shipped cold.

19. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

See this is what bothers me, We had UHC with Medco untill this year and we never had any of these rules to follow on our plan. There should not be these gaping differences between plans. within the same companies.

20. Beach bum

I had no issue using the mail order, because it really was cost effective. What bothers me now is what I'm hearing about this new company. Taking several, weeks, to nearly months for scrips to be filled... People have mentioned they have had to go without meds...impossible for us!