- advertisement -

Anyone up for an experiment???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Heather(CA), Nov 16, 2010.

1. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I'm not.

I was simply responding to a post that made it sound like their child was upset about getting extra pokes. She explained that the situation was not the way it originally came across, and I understand that. End of story.

2. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

(Cool Wilf.)
    Heather, oldest dd's science project - to be presented at a science fair next week involving several international schools in the area - includes her and her SWD (sis-with-diabetes) as guinea pigs. That means testing (for both of them), eating good (for their tongues, not their health) food, and the input of a 6-year old for the benefit of middle-schoolers.
    Okay, not beneficial to your experiment. :rolleyes:

3. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

UPDATE: 2hrs 10min since meal bolus; BG 162

4. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Very interesting, how can you tell how much was used/left? Was it by how much the bg dropped then using math? Was it true every time? I wonder what kind of affect if any exercise would have:confused::cwds:

5. Jacob'sDad

Premeal BG: 72
    Bolused about 1/4 way through meal for 90g
    Total carbs minus fiber: 115g
    Total fat: 65g
    Bolused for another 30g about 20 minutes post meal.

Apidra insulin through the pump.

UPDATE: 1:15 since meal bolus; BG 120
    UPDATE: 3hrs 40min since meal bolus; BG 349:eek: corrected

Jacob is not wearing his CGM today. If he were, I would have saw the fat spike start when he was 162. The up arrows would have given it away. I then would have started a +200% temp basal for two hours. We would not be where we are now.

I was very tempted to start a temp basal when he was 162 even without the CGM, but it seemed a bit early for a fat spike. The demonstrates how valuable CGM data can be.

6. Ali

Ali Approved members

Heather
    For what it is worth and I know you know this, exercise means less insulin is needed unless your basal bolus amounts are already based on the exercise pattern. Exercise is a huge factor in insulin needs. Even small amounts impact. Regular 30 to 60 minutes of exercise for me means a permanent reduction in basal and a reduction in the carb ratios also. When I stop exercising regularly I usually do not need to adjust basal for three weeks or more, I adjust a bit but the big changes take about three weeks to hit me. I know there is a pattern to the exercise, hormones, I have just never tracked it enough to nail it down.:cwds:

7. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Yes:cwds: I know the less amount. I wonder if the lesser amounts work quicker or not as in how it affects the percentages. For Seth it only takes 3 days for a sudden lack of exercise to affect bg's and insulin needs:cwds:

8. KHM

KHM Approved members

No embarrassment! We all find our ways, strike our balances and have times when despite our best efforts we are just simply not in charge of everything or (gasp) make a mistake...

9. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

As you should be, since none of us know anything about what it's like to go through a time where blood sugars are imperfect, and we're all thinking of ways to judge you right now as I type. :rolleyes:

10. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I'll participate but can't post any numbers until Thursday.
    If this is still active, I'll do this then.

11. Ali

Ali Approved members

Heather
    I do see a change after three days but the big jump is after about a month. I can do a temp adjustment for the three day change but if I stop ex all together I need a big jump after about three weeks. During the week I tend to adjust my basal for when I ex as I am not regularly exercising-i.e only about three times a week. When I exercise daily-four or more days then I adjust my non ex ays a bit, does not take much. If I ex near a meal I always need to adjust insulin. I am very sensitive to ex even just 15 minutes of vacuuming throws me off a bit. I did dance in college for a few years and was very active for most of my life with skiing, swimming etc. I found that ex has had a huge impact on evening out my BS levels. But as an adult I always felt as though I was feeding my exercise. Very hard to adjust ahead of time to the exercise. With the pump it is easier, with the CGMS even better. I found exercise one of the harder things to figure out. Different ex impacted differently, different amounts of time, intensity, competitiveness, etc. You sound like you do a great job with your kid. I frankly do less of a good job with myself. I found with insulins that with regular I needed a 30 minute prebolus to match the food spike and than had a massive action time, Humolog I did have to pre bolus (20 minutes) to match the spike and still had tons of extra insulin for the third and fourth hour. To keep from spiking a huge number I had to take enough insulin that I had to snack at the 2 and 1/2 hour mark to avoid a low. With Apidra I can take enough insulin to keep from spiking above 160 most of the time without needing much if any of snack in the third hour. I stop dropping after 3 hours, the drop after 2 and 1/2 is so minimal that if i am above 120 at that time I many or may not drop into the 90's. Ali

12. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Geez. Tough crowd.:rolleyes:

13. Jessica L

Jessica L Approved members

Next time I go down to check Ri I am going to grab her meter I have the right testing times for this already and will post. She is going through a hormonal cycle and I had to up her levemir last night but for some reason only did 27 instead of 28 so yeah her overnight numbers are insane.

14. Jessica L

2 hours 11pm after her first correction last night she was 370 up not down.
    Then at 1 am she was 362 she then got a 3 unit correction and at 3:50am came down to 225 and at 4:45 she was down to 205.

I will say this cause of the variable of puberty for her. Fast acting does very little for her without upping the long lasting too. She becomes insulin resistant like this even eating no to low carb for a week or to each month. Tonight I am giving her 28 u of her levemir tonight and her numbers should go back into a normal or very close to it range.

15. wilf

wilf Approved members

Yes, it's by watching the full response after carbs and bolus and then doing the math.. :cwds:

16. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'd be inclined to blame the eggnog ... we find it a very difficult treat to cover.

17. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I'm not sure I understand the purpose of doing this.. there are so many variables, can you even get a conclusion out of this with the exception of everyone is different?

18. Jessica L

She has had it for 3 weeks once a week now and if she has it with dinner she spikes around midnight with it. Or she did the previous two times. When she gets hormonal which I am now and she seems to follow my cycle her numbers go up like that and corrections do not work on her unless I up the levemir too. She has been running higher the past few days with the same patterns at night without the egg nog too.

19. Jacob'sDad

Premeal BG: 72
    Bolused about 1/4 way through meal for 90g
    Total carbs minus fiber: 115g
    Total fat: 65g
    Bolused for another 30g about 20 minutes post meal.

Apidra insulin through the pump.

UPDATE: 1:15 since meal bolus; BG 120
    UPDATE: 3hrs 40min since meal bolus; BG 349 corrected

Jacob is not wearing his CGM today. If he were, I would have saw the fat spike start when he was 162. The up arrows would have given it away. I then would have started a +200% temp basal for two hours. We would not be where we are now.

I was very tempted to start a temp basal when he was 162 even without the CGM, but it seemed a bit early for a fat spike. The demonstrates how valuable CGM data can be.

FINAL UPDATE:

About 5hrs since meal; BG 300. Gave another correction subtracting IOB

5:00am this morning; BG 185. Gave another correction. I didn't hear what his BG was at breakfast, but I'll bet it was fine.

This was a fat spike in its purest form. The spike was not due to the carb ratio being off. Even if the carb ratio was off slightly, it would not account for the huge rise in BG and the stubbornness getting it back down.

Most days Jacob doesn't have nearly this much fat at dinner and his BG does not tend to be high at 5am.

20. Jacob'sDad

I can get a conclusion from my test with Jacob.

Fat spikes are real; can be tough to correct, and this was one of them.

Sure, it's possible to come up with some other explanation, but I have seen this same pattern many times before after a high fat meal.