- advertisement -

Anyone tried a waistband with a toddler?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cm4kelly, Jul 26, 2011.

1. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

I am getting ready for back to school and was going to order another pump case for my four year old. He usually wears a small baseball style pack around his waist from Pumptastic.

I just saw a waistband advertised on another website. You put your pump in the waistband and wear it under your shirt around your waist.

This seems like it would be more out of the way - a good thing.

Has anyone tried a waist band for holding a pump? Comments?
    Not sure if this would work for a 4 year old.

2. lynn

lynn Approved members

It sounds like you are describing what I make my son these days. It is a band that doesn't have a separate pack for the pump? Just a section of the band that opens up for the pump to fit into?

If that is the case, then I would say that it would work very well for a guy your son's age. I used to make Nathan the type that had an elastic belt with a separate pouch that fit onto the belt. That worked well but when I tried the other style he well in love because it fits to snugly to his body that it doesn't bounce. I have a friend whose daughter has diabetes and she likes the newer style the best as well.

3. Lance

Lance Approved members

Kelly - We have a band that goes around Z's waist, custom made with openings in the belt to hold his pump and his Dexcom, and clear windows for both. He's 4 years old, and this works will for him. Regular pump pouches were too floppy, and didn't really accommodate both devices very well.

4. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Dd has been wearing a spibelt 24/7 since she was 4. Very comfy.

5. kjmaf

kjmaf Approved members

We ordered Sarah a couple of pump cases from toosweetboutique.com when she got her pump at age 4. She is 5 now and still wears them. We have never had any problems with it around her waist for her pump. We tuck most of the tubing into the pouch, so there is very little tubing hanging out.

6. Leece

Leece Approved members

I love waist bands. They do not flop like other products and are soft and bendable. I like the ones from Pumpwear Inc but they are a little pricey I found a excellent product on etsy. It was a little pouch attached to a soft band.

7. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I think I know which waist bands you're referring too, but I've never used those particupar ones. I can highly recommend the kids' SpiBelt. It stays snug. Another good option are the pouches from Too Sweet Boutique. They don't have the hard clip-on thingy, so way better for sleeping (not that my son has ever complained about it, but I think it's more comfy). Stuff from Pump Wear Inc is also good, I find, but my vote goes to SpiBelt and Too Sweet Boutique.

8. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I've heard nothing but rave reviews about "tallygear" and the tummitote they make. She's a pretty awesome person to work with from what I hear in terms of really hearing about your child, meeting their personality needs (fabric) or even creating other needed items. For example she made a boy a super hero belt, then he got the omnipod and wanted to wear it on his leg without worrying about it coming loose in the pool, she then made a matching superhero leg wrap that he loves, too.
    So, go check them out :)

9. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

just wanted to add - if you're looking for another night time pump pouch too sweet boutique is truly the best in my son's opinion, we've tried all others and he only will wear his two from "Too Sweet Boutique" The minky belt is just sooo incredibly soft ;) Otherwise our little dude wears his pump in a shirt during the daytime, he refuses pouches during the day.

10. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

My son has been pumping since he was 5 and has never used anything except his pocket or the real waistband of his pants for his pump. Especially for boys, I've never really understood the need for extra pump pouches, etc. His pump has a clip that stays securely on his waistband, or I put it in his pocket but also clipped to the pocket. Never had a problem, and he's never complained of discomfort.