- advertisement -

Anyone travel to different time zones with pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lizzy731, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

We are leaving for the UK in a week and it will be the first time that we encounter more than an hour time difference with the pod (5 hour difference). I am unsure how to proceed with switching the time on her pump because of her fluctuating basal program. We arrive at night and I was going to switch the time in the AM when we wake up...any advice or experience with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Some people change the time everyday to get closer and closer to the local time. We just change the time on the pump and meter half-a-day to one day after arrival. Then we watch her closely.

Like last night (we just arrived from Asia with a 14 hour time difference)...she ate in the middle of the night and since her I:C ratios are higher at night, and we had already changed the time on her pump, she went a bit higher 'cause her body was still on "home time". Just corrected that two hours PP. And just a few hours ago, past midnight, she was at 51 mg/dL. I never know when her body is going to adjust to local time, Sometimes it takes a day, sometimes a few days. :confused:

Good luck and enjoy your trip to the UK.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We've made that trip a bunch of times - generally speaking things are going to be pretty screwed up even without the time/basal issue. The excitement, food, altitude, altered sleep schedule etc etc and I'm just talking about the flight :p I generally leave everything alone for the flight - test often and adjust/correct as needed ( she tends to run a bit high while traveling).

Once we land I usually just switch her over to UK time but I watch her pretty closely for the next 48 hs of so - that first day you're just so tired that what's day and what's night is a bit of the blur, both to mind and body. ;)

Have fun!

4. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

Thanks you both for your input. It helps we have a CGM but I am ready for a bumpy ride!