- advertisement -

Anyone take Wellbutrin?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Mama2H, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

I have an appt with my dr later this month and I am going to ask for an antidepressant. After researching I think I have decided to ask for Wellbutrin. Many years ago I was put on Zoloft and felt like I was in a bubble and gained a LOT of weight, it left me feeling disconnected and not myself. Needless to say I went off of that slowly and have been leery to try anything else. From what I have researched, many of the side effects of Wellbutrin would be desirable to me. Does anyone have any experience with this drug? A few of the side effects that would imho be beneficial are: weight loss, absence of addictive behavior (ie smoking), dry mouth (I need to drink more water anyway), etc... It is also used to treat season affective disorder which I believe I also suffer from. Here is a link to side effects http://depression.emedtv.com/wellbutrin/wellbutrin-side-effects.html

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

I took for a few years - after I tried a few others, like Zoloft and even prozac. I LOVED Wellbutrin! I had no bad side affects - and instead of feeling in a fog like the other meds, I felt like I was in the clear - my mind felt clearer - if you know what I mean!

When I lost my job and insurance, I decided to try and do without. I still think I might need to go back on sometimes!

3. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

i can tell you that my sister took wellbutrin for a while for her for help with the smoking. and she liked what it did for her.

4. etringali

etringali Approved members

I take 200mg wellbutrin a day. The only problem I have had, is it can make me feel "wired". I feel like I am vibrating, so it's better to take in the am. I also take 60mg Celexa, as Zoloft wasn't quite cutting it anymore. Celexa is my primary antidepressant, so I don't know how the Welbutrin is on its' own.

5. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

I tried it to help me stop smoking. One of the side effects is vivid dreams. Well, that is putting it mildly. It gave me the worst nightmares of my life. I can not remember how long I took it ( probably less than a month ) and while on it I had nightmares where both of my kids were killed many times and in awful ways.

BTW-it did nothing to help me want to stop smoking. I would wake from the nightmares so stressed out I would smoke more.

I do know a few people that have tried it. One had the same issues as I did and the other said it worked great for her.

6. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Kristi wow, I don't think I would like the nightmares :eek: I have enough of those without intensifying them :eek: How long after you started did the nightmares start? I don't want to start feeling better and then end up with nightmares!

BTW, I left a message on your user profile :D

7. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

I don't think I would mind the wired feeling, I need a pick me up big time. What does the Celexa do?

8. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Did you have withdrawal? I found when I went off of Zoloft the withdrawals were awful! What side effects did you have?

9. etringali

You're supposed to step down on Zoloft. It should take 4-6 weeks to get to the point of taking no more pills. Cold turkey is not good with Zoloft.

The celexa keeps me from going supernova. I take welbutrin to counter some of the Celexa. I'm on a high dosage for the celexa, so I really can't take anymore than I'm taking already. I was on a lower dosage of WB, but started feeling depression symptoms more, so we upped the WB. Got me back on an even keel. I can't remeber exactly what my Dr said, but the 2 drugs work differently in your body, so they make a pretty good team.

10. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

I'm on welbutrin.
    i have no sideeffects. seems to make me happier? not sure. but I frequently forget to take it.
    It ddin't make me nauseas like some of the others i tried.

11. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Thank you. I did go off of the Zoloft over a period of 3 or 4 weeks (can't remember now that was in my early 20's). I was put on it after my cancer treatment and it just seemed to make everything worse not better.

12. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

For those taking/have taken, how long did it take to start working? Was it like Zoloft where you had to take it a few weeks to see an effect or does it start working sooner. It took a long time to find out Zoloft wasn't working for me and just as long to come off of it. I don't want to go through that again.

13. Lee

Lee Approved members

They said it would take weeks, but for me, it WAS almost immediate - not sure if it was the placebo affect - you know - knowing I was doing something to help me - or if it was truly working - but I did feel better right away~

14. etringali

I was the same way.

15. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

That really give me a lot of hope. I think one of my biggest frustrations with Zoloft and the reason I refused to try anything else was the Dr kept telling me that it would take time to feel better and I was only feeling worse, then with the weight gain I sunk deeper. If I knew that in a week or so I would know it is working that is a lot better than the 6-8 weeks I was told with the Zoloft :(

16. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

I tookWellbutrin when I was 13 years old and suffering form manic depression.
    I initially had side effects of severe headaches but once we increased my dose, they stopped almost right away(just the headaches from the meds).

I did suffer from constant dry mouth so i went to sucking on ice cubes all the time. I worked in a rest. at the time so it was easy for me to do.

My moods were very even, some thought that I was too serious but I feel it was just because I was not having the manic episodes of up and down anymore.

It was a very good fit for me. I took it until I was 17 years old. I never experienced mightmares while on it but my teeth did get a slightly darker coloration to them after taking it. No one but myself notices it though unless I mention it so no biggie.

THe important thing for me we think was always taking it at the same time every day. I actually had an alarm on my watch to tell me when it was time.

My father and grandmother(his mom) took it to stop smoking and it helped my father greatly. not my grandmother though, but that was just her.

Good luck,
    Allene

17. Tori's Mom

Tori's Mom Approved members

Nicole,
    I tried Wellbutrin to stop smoking. Didn't do a thing for me. I did not experience the nightmares but as a nurse I have heard lots of people say they had to stop taking it because of the vivid nightmares. I've heard better things about the Chantix for stopping smoking although a few people have experienced the nightmares with that as well.

Nearly all of the antidepressants out there take a while to "build up a level" in your bloodstream so to speak to reach maximum effectiveness. That doesn't mean you aren't going to notice a difference sooner, just that it is not at maximum effectiveness for a few weeks.

It's still certainly worth a try and you are going into it with your eyes open so you know the potential side effects and have researched them.

18. Lee

Lee Approved members

Oh - I lost a little weight on Wellbutrin - the same reason it works for some people to stop smoking - it cuts cravings in some of us!

I guess you are just gonna have to try and see how it makes you feel!

19. ROVERT81402

ROVERT81402 Approved members

My hubby took welbutrin for a little while, to help him quit smoking. It worked! He smoked for like 23 years, and he just quit,,,,I will say he was quite crabby for a while though. But I remember he would get welts whenever he would scratch an itch, but only when he was on the med.

I will say this, DO NOT TAKE CYMBALTA! I took that for a few months. I decided I was ok enough to quit taking it. I even weined myself off of it, but I was horribly sick for months! I eventually had to take prozac to get off of cymbalta, but I am now not taking anything (for now anyways).

20. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

I'd tell your dr your experiences on the past drugs. If it has been awhile, there may be new ones on the market.
    Your dr may have some insight as to what would work best for you over and above what you can find online too. Hate to sound too jaded, but those drug companies sure can put a spin on things. I'd leave the prescribing choices up to the dr for the most part, maybe they can cut through to the real differences between the drugs.
    For the most unbiased opinions on drugs, ask a pharmacist---they aren't being wined and dined by pharmaceutical companies:cool: