- advertisement -

Anyone still doing shots?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by SwoneySC, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Gilliansmom

Gilliansmom Approved members

My dd is very content doing MDI and is not tied to anything. If it works and it ain't broke, don't fix it! Her A1C is 6.7!

2. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

MDI here for four years.

3. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

I don't think there is a "right" way to inject insulin. We started on MDI, went to a pump, back to MDI and back to the pump. Will's A1C is 7.0 and stayed consistent no matter which method we used (I thought there would be a huge difference since that's what I kept reading regarding pumping). It is an individual's choice that I, as a parent, am glad I can offer to my child. It was Will's choice this summer to go back to MDI (said he wanted to feel normal) he quickly decided he loved his pump and wanted it back after day 2 of MDI. He didn't like the multiple injections during the course of the day.

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Yep, we are still living in the stone ages here too although thankfully dont have to sharpen the needles with a whetstone:) Steven has been MDI for 6 years 1 month and we have no plans to switch to a pump at this time. He will let us know when hes ready

5. hypercarmona

hypercarmona Approved members

This is what I do. It's usuallly a few months on MDI, then a few months on the pump. The last several A1cs have all been within 6.5-7.2, and so the decision is usually based on whether or not the MDI or pump starts to get on my nerves. I don't really like carrying the pump around, and the sets often hurt, but then again, I get tired of shots all day and taking the lantus is an "event". There is also the small benefit of feeling like I'm actually "stopping" one or the other when I switch. It doesn't last long, but I like the feeling of "Whoohoo! No more shots!" or "Yay! No more pump crap to carry!" :eek:

Archaic would be conventional therapy plus sliding scale (2x shots per day of Regular and NPH/Lente), and I did that for several years before Lantus. Some people can make it work, but not me. I was low at least four times a day, and I was guaranteed at least one low per night when the Lente peaked. There is just no getting around how much that sucked.

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Hahaha, you know what's really archaic? Regular/NPH premix. Can't even adjust the ratios you want the two insulins to be in. (The one I used was Mixtard 30 - 30% regular, 70% NPH.) Yuck. I still have some in the fridge, and it's just now being discontinued for sale in the UK. :cwds:

7. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

MDI here with no interest in pumping at this time. MY dd is happy, she's healthy and it works for us right now. :)

8. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

MDI here for 3years since dx, with no interest in pumping. It works for us, and the endo is happy with his A1c. We use pens for Novo and Lantus.

9. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

What Mimi said. We're almost 3 years in and no real interest in pumping at this point.

10. Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac Approved members

Going on 13 years of MDI this September. I would like a pump, but my mom just says "Not until YOU can afford it" I'm getting good results with MDI... it just seems like pumps would be a little easier (as in... just hitting a few buttons when sitting in class to give insulin, and not having to go all the way to the nurce's office or bathroom (when I don't want the nurse or my mom to know I forgot a shot XD) to protect the poor innocent high schoolers from the big and scarey needle) Maybe I should just wait till i'm 25... Then I could say that I did MDI for 20 years!

11. Ali

Ali Approved members

What works the best depends in large part on your on bodies physiology, eating and activity routines and personality. I was on shots for years! and could never ever get much below a 7.5 A1c, my basal needs just never matched any of the injectable insulin routines. I was very strict with diet, testing etc. but within 3 months of being on the pump my A1c dropped one whole point (7.6 to 6.6)with much fewer lows. It really is a YDMV. Find what works but be open to the idea that your body, lifestyle etc. may change and that at anytime a pump or MDI may be a better option. :cwds:Ali

12. caspi

caspi Approved members

My son was MDI, then the Omnipod, back to MDI, back to Omnipod again and now back to MDI. He just doesn't want to pump, and we are okay with that. At the age of 11 I think he has the right to choose.

It's a very personal decision - what works for one child doesn't necessarily work for another. :cwds:

13. lisab

lisab Approved members

On shots here...... 5 years at the end of this month. Up until now Yas has been quite happy to not pump. Although recently has showed some interest in pumping.... will be discussing at next Endo appointment. :)

14. heamwdevine

heamwdevine Approved members

We did shots for 6 months after dx, then the pump for 9 months or so and decided to do shots for the summer because the pump site always falls off with all the swimming we do so it's just easier to do the shots. She does them herself and is enjoying the break from being attached.

I think we'll go back to pumping for the school year because it works better for us, but we'll see what she wants to do.

15. muddymessalonskee

muddymessalonskee Approved members

ds19, dx'd at 14 almost five years ago, is on MDI...Lantus and Humalog pens. He carries pens, tips, and meter in a jeans pocket. dd16 (dx'd 2001) uses pump/cgms. They have similar A1c's.

Deborah

16. ctmom

ctmom Approved members

four years on shots

The four years since my son's diagnosis he has continued on shots. Just when he made the decision due to having difficulty with highs and lows with sports to try the pump he selected to onmipod. Unfortunately his trial run that he had with the one from the rep-did not go well. Both pods fell of while he was playing sports and that was all it took for him to decide not to persue the transition to the pump. He uses novolog, novilin and levermir.

17. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

By the way Insurance covers pumps. I would assume if you are still in school then you are covered. I don't think I ever heard of anyone paying the entire amount out of pocket.

18. Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac Approved members

Ours covers 80%, which is still around $1,200 out of pocket. So Its still out of the question in my family

19. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Nothing is archaic about MDI, you can have excellent control on MDI. Conventional therapy is archaic!

20. KHM

KHM Approved members

Be warned: Wilf is a sorcerer. He can do things with insulin we can't even imagine...;)

Only half-kidding---Wilf understands pharmacodynamics and metabolism extremely well. For the moment we wield 3 insulins in our MDI regimen and I may add NPH for school days if our pump transition doesn't wrap up soon...