- advertisement -

Anyone still doing shots?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by SwoneySC, Aug 17, 2010.

1. SwoneySC

SwoneySC New Member

Our son has some skin issues and a pump is pretty much out of the question. Love to know if there are others using the "archaic" shots. :) Almost everyone we know that does have type 1 diabetes is on a pump. Would love some empathetic support. :)

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

We have been using MDI for exactly three years and don't consider it "archaic" at all. :cwds:

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I use shots, partly because I see no good reason not to and partly because of skin issues.
    I'm using Lantus and Novolog.

4. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

Nothing archaic about it at all. I was on injections for 17 years, then began pumping in 2001. Took a break in late March simply to give my body some time to heal after nine years of pumping, and went to MDI... Been an interesting transition back, but have lowered my A1c by a whole percentage point. So much goes to the person, not the technology or method used. But, YDMV. Looking forward to re-connecting in the coming weeks, though.

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

Thanks for my evening chuckle. :) Archaic - really!?

DD's been on shots since Dx 4 years ago - she is doing great, A1Cs in the 6s, and is happy, fit and healthy.. :cwds:

6. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

My dd went off the pump and back to MDI for the summer months. She just went back on her pump yesterday.

There are lots of people on here MDI. You are not alone!

7. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

I just looked at your signature, and saw that your daughter is on 5 different insulins! I'd be very interested in hearing what her regimen is, if you're willing to share.

8. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

Would it be inappropriate to wish you a happy diabeteversary? At any rate, congratulations on not just surviving the past 3 years but, from what I can tell from your posts, thriving.

9. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

Katerina has been MDI since her dx 6 yrs ago. :) Don't feel pressured to get a pump, no matter what your endo says. My mom was MDI for 45 yrs before she started pumping.

10. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Shots work great! My son was on them until he was 12. We needed an insulin delivery method that was more convenient for school and scout camping trips and was easier for a forgetful teen to manage. He has been pumping for 4 of his nearly 13 years with diabetes.

Pumping is only more convenient. It is a lot more expensive than shots.

The pumpers post a lot more on this forum.

11. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Still MDI here, still in our first year and learning, pump delayed due to sports, but in all honesty now he's starting to question if he wants one. I imagine it will happen fairly soon but if he stays on MDI that's fine too, it is completely his decision.

12. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Ashleigh is on MDI. We're hoping to get a pump around October though.

13. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

Theres nothing wrong with being on injections if that is your preference, but the question is, are you interested in pumping? Because there may be ways around skin issues if you haven't tried any yet :)

14. NatBMomto4

NatBMomto4 Approved members

We are MDI and as of now, Andrew has no interest whatsoever in a pump. We are letting him make the decision, since so little else with D is in his control. I got the Omnipod sample pod so he could see what it looks like and he barely even looked at it!

15. wilf

wilf Approved members

Lantus covers DD's basal needs.

NPH covers lunch and allows grazing. Regular covers fatty or heavy meals, and is also used to allow for more grazing.

We are just transitioning from Novolog to Apidra, so will be dropping the Novolog as soon as we've used up our remaining supplies.

That will bring it down to a manageable 4 insulins.. :rolleyes:

16. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Thanks very much, JoAnn and no it's not innapropriate it was very nice :cwds:

17. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

mdi since diagnosis 3ish years ago. He hates bandaids so I can't imagine him on a pump anytime soon. We do read a book about a child using a pump and he seems a bit interested but tells me he would rather have shots for now.

18. Lee

Lee Approved members

This is very true - there are many pumpers that have skin problems that have work arounds...so ask if you ARE interested in pumping and the skin problem is the only thing holding you back.

19. Mike&Dans.Mom

Mike&Dans.Mom Approved members

Both of my guys use the Novolg pen. It is really easy for both of them.
    Neither of them wants to deal with a pump. Danny did have one from 1st through 3rd grade. He hated the tubing.

20. Andy'sMom

Andy'sMom Approved members

MDI here as well since dx 5 years ago. A1C's in the mid 6's so shots can work out just fine. We always thought we'd switch, but we've been so happy with his control and he doesn't mind the shots at all - so no reason to change so far. I still think it's coming at some point in our future, but not anytime soon.