- advertisement -

Anyone selling the Medtronic Guardian?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by rutgers1, Nov 29, 2014.

1. rutgers1

rutgers1 Approved members

Anyone selling My Sentry?

I am delirious from lack of sleep, but I don't have the money to buy one direct from Medtronic. I thought that perhaps someone who previously bought one but moved to another pump might be interested in selling it. Please send me a message if you have one and would consider selling. Thank you!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  2. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

I don't have the guardian unit, but I do have an old pump that was compatible with the sensor. And i believe you can use the sensor with it. Can't your son with his current pump?

3. rutgers1

edit: Whoops, I was calling it "Guardian" when it is called My Sentry.

4. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

You may be thinking of the My Sentry,which relays the information on his pump to a monitor you can keep on a nightstand in the parents' room. The guardian doesn't have any longer distance away from the sensor than the pump, so you wouldn't be able to bring it very far away from the child's sensor.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  5. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

The guardian just doesn't get that great of a range. My parents used it when I was younger and it would sit on a bookshelf with a baby monitor about 8 feet from me and the signal would still go in and out. I don't think you could reliably get a signal in your bedroom with it. And you would still have to get up to clear alarms.

Any reason you don't want to switch to the dexcom? The stated range is 20 feet but most people get much more and you have other options for displaying the data if you need more than 20 feet.

6. rutgers1

Whoops....I was calling it Guardian when it is called My Sentry. I apologize for the confusion.

We considered Dexcom, but we don't want to have multiple devices that he has to carry. The Medtronic pump with CGM is easier to handle, from our perspective. I am not overly happy with the reliability of the sensor data, but I have come to terms with that. If the sensor is close to the blood glucose reading when he goes to sleep, it is pretty reliable overnight. There are days, though, where the two aren't even close.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Mine pumps MM but uses the dexcom. We also thought that a second thing the schlep around would be a problem but actually it's much easier to have the stand alone receiver if you are co-managing things. Before, if I wanted to know what her graph looked like I'd have to ask for her pump and she'd have to drag it out and be all teenagery about it. :redface: But with the dexcom the receiver can just sit at a neutral spot like the kitchen counter and we can both see it, hear it without invading her space. ;-) But we also had accuracy and adhesive issues with the MM CGM and we only used it for a few months before switching.

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We used the MM sensor for 5+ years and switched to Dex. It's so much better. So much. Carrying the extra device isn't really a problem, and in some ways, it's easier. You can see his CGM readings anytime without bothering him. And when you're not with him, it's thin enough to just slip into his meter case or his pocket. The range is incredible on the thing, and with CGM in the Cloud, you can get the readings on your phone. Accuracy is better, the sensors last for 14+ days...I could really go on and on. It's worth a shot.

9. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

I understand. My dd dislikes carrying two things as well.
    And for her the dexcom is actually less accurate than the enlite (that is with the new software). Not sure what we will do in the future if this does not improve.

You may be able to get My Sentry covered by insurance. The MM website has forms to assist.

ETA: I don't think My Sentry is actually "cleared" to work with the thresh suspend pump, so getting coverage may be difficult. Perhaps you can find out from the company.

10. dpr

dpr Approved members

We're another Medtronic/Dexcom family. Our rooms are next to each other. The Dex receiver is in our room at night and does a great job of waking us up.