- advertisement -

Anyone read any good books lately??

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by MissMadisonsMom, Jun 13, 2009.

1. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

I just went to Half Price Books and got Veil of Roses and Walking in Circles Before Lying Down - I'll let you know what I think.

It's OK, Twilight isn't for everyone - my mom did not like it at all either...I think she wanted more sex scenes:)

2. Zoe'sMom

Zoe'sMom Approved members

The girl with the dragon tattoo, by Stieg Larsson. (Millenium Trilogy)

It's the first book of a trilogy, the second one will be out in English in July. I read them in French, the trilogy was translated from Swedish to French before it was translated to English. Not sure when the third one will be out in English.

These were most certainly some of the best books I've read in my life (and I've read a lot). A-ma-zing. :D

3. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

Everyone tells me how great Jodi Picoult books are. I always end up putting them back though cause they look depressing. Are they all centered around a child with either a disease or harmed in some way? :( Since becoming a mom and then a mom with a CWD I am sensitive to those type of things. I mentioned on the Stephen King thread similar thoughts.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Just finished The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafow. Couldn't put it down ;)

5. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

6. MichS

MichS Approved members

7. MichS

MichS Approved members

Oh - if you want a couple of books to keep you going for a long time
    Pillars of the Earth and World without End by Ken Follet. The first one is about building a cathedral, which sounds terribly boring, but the story is great! And it is some historical fiction so you might learn something.
    Also loved Kite Runner and a Thousand Splendid Suns.
    What about the Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon! The 7th book is supposed to be out this fall! Start now and you can get it while its hot!

8. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

Okay I need more rec's :D

Since the thread started I finished:

The Red Tent *great book*
    Water for Elephants *glad I read the Red Tent before interesting tie into Genesis*
    The Beach House *nice pool book I don't have to think*

I know there are older books (similar to the ones above) out there that I might have missed that my out-dated library probably has.

9. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

those were all good!
    I'm reading "The Red Leather Diary" right now. True story of a writer who found this diary in the trash in NYC - from the 20's. Tracked down the woman who was in her 90's and wrote her story. It's ok to read about what life was like for a privileged child in new york at that time, ....and I will warn you that the woman had a few lesbian love affairs..so as long as that doesn't bother you, then it's a pretty good book. Nothing deep or serious..but good history.

10. Diana

Diana Approved members

A Brief History of the Dead
    The Last Kabbalist of Lisbon
    The God of Small Things
    The Poisonwood Bible
    anything by Jane Austen
    The Thirteenth Tale
    Snowflower and the Secret Fan
    The Invisible Wall
    The Time Travelers Wife
    The Confessions of Max Tivoli (kind of like Benjamin Button)
    Three Cups of Tea
    anything by Amy Tan

And I'll strongly recommend Life of Pi again.

11. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

Twilight and My Sister's Keeper,

I have seen both movies too...if you read the book they changed everything in My Sister's keeper movie.

I read twilight to see what the kids were reading....and finished it. I liked it, pretty clean for the kids.

12. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Just finished Escape by Carolyn Jessop. Amazing story. Truly horrifying what she went through.

Also love anything by Jodi Piccoult.

13. Sorcha

Sorcha Approved members

LOVE the Outlander series!! I can't wait for book 7 (I think it's going to be called "An Echo in the Bone") this fall. I was lucky enough to "discover" them when she was already at book 5 - I can't imagine the wait for each book for those who first fell in love with Outlander!!! I tore through the whole series so quickly and just had a short wait for ABOSAA, but this wait has been looooooong.

I personally also love Marian Keyes, and anything by Maeve Binchy ("Evening Class" is still one of my favorite books of all time).

14. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

Outlander Series is amazing

I also got into them after all were available - you should listen to them on tape or CD - the unabridged version is recorded I think by Davina Porter and she is really good, I have read the last 2 and then went back to listen to them and I had missed a few things.:D

15. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

16. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

I just log in to our library's website (CWMARS). From there you can request anything in MA libraries and they will ship it to your closest branch.

17. Jake'sMama

Jake'sMama Approved members

We read this in book club in the last couple of months - it's a good clean read based in WWII England. We all loved it and it's easy to put down and pick up again.

I would recommend it!

18. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

I can relate to that! I love all books, old & new, and have so many I should start my own book store but I can't bear to part with them. Maybe I should start a lending library? My bookshelves are all triple, & quadruple stacked w/ books. My favorite bookstore is the 1/2 price books where you can find really good reads for $1.00. I end up spending tons of money there & coming home with boxes full of books. It's truly an addiction!

19. Jake'sMama

I would 2nd these titles:
    Life of Pi
    Time Traveler's Wife (one of my all time favorites)
    Guernsey Potato Peel Pie Society (based on true story) very good on audio
    Pillars of the Earth (long but good historical fiction, at times violent)
    Outlander series (good historical fiction with sex)
    Kite Runner (liked better than 1000 Splendid Suns but both good), great on audio
    Memory Keeper's Daughter
    Glass Castle (true amazing story)
    Water for Elephants (a great listen if you can get the audio)

A few not mentioned:

Marley and Me (hilarious dog true story)
    Me Talk Pretty One Day (hilarious but racy at times) David Sedaris
    Dracula - Brom Stokers version - really good and a classic
    The Good Earth - also great classic
    The Bluest Eye - Toni Morrison (older, short)
    Seabiscuit (prize winning horse)
    Follow the River (true story in pioneering times)
    Girl with the Pearl Earring
    Memoirs of a Geisha
    Harry Potter series and I can share these with my son

it goes without saying that the books are better than the movies!

I've read so many it's hard to remember them all - this thread was good to be reminding of many good reads. I really should keep a list of books I've read! I've enjoyed seeing what others are reading.

Time Traveler and Me Talk Pretty - I bought these specifically to lend to other people!

20. Jake'sMama

same here - they get many of the books from other libraries on loan. Ask your librarian!