- advertisement -

Anyone master the DQ Blizzard yet?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by zell828, Aug 12, 2010.

1. zell828

zell828 Approved members

These are the worst for us, along with mexican food and pizza. My SD usually only has a small, but she LOVES them. So I had to figure out a way to master this. I think I finally did it after several tries :D We have to give extra insulin up front (2 units extra!) and also use a temp basal for 10 hours of 160%. Wow.

2. ashley_lynden

ashley_lynden Approved members

Nope! Sloan had his first blizzard last week. He got one of the new mini ones. I found the carb count online and dosed him accordingly but his BG still went sky high. I don't see another blizzard in his future any time soon.

3. zell828

zell828 Approved members

It's the fat spike. I hate depriving my SD with things and from being a kid just because of D. So I worked on mastering what worked and finally did it.

4. timnshann

timnshann Approved members

Mcflurries are just as bad for us to figure out:rolleyes: Always slightly different in size and amount of candy plus the fat spike.

5. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I've actually never had a problem with it, I just do a regular bolus. But I've never had a problem with ice cream in general. Pizza, yes, ice cream, no. Of course now that I've said this, watch me have AWFUL bgs the next time I have one LOL.

6. zell828

zell828 Approved members

You are right....it might have worked this time for us but that doesn't say the next time a different worker will add more candy or whatever and then it will be off. :eek:

7. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I haven't had a DQ Blizzard in a lonnngg time (like before diagnoses)...boy does that sound good right now!

I tried one of the Sonic Jr. Sundaes (I checked online, and it said 27grams) the other night, and it didn't seem to cause anything funky with my BG. Perfect size, too.

8. Mom of 15 yr old

Mom of 15 yr old Approved members

DQ Ice Cream only

Our daughter loves ice cream - but while her sibling gets his blizzard - she takes a small dish of swirl. Hasn't affected her since it is pretty low carb - she just doses for it. We haven't tried a blizzard - she is bummed but very excited that she DOES get ice cream every once in awhile. She has just heard about the mini blizzard - thinks she will be able to have one - we may just have to look into that for her.