- advertisement -

Anyone have trouble with Pods on thighs?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by buckmarko, Sep 16, 2012.

1. buckmarko

buckmarko Approved members

We have had 3 pods fail (2 in one week) when we put them on his thighs. They have all been within a few hours of a site change. They work everywhere else. We do rotate, and would like to include the thighs as well. They all have the same alarm code. We have tried pinching up, and not pinching. His thighs are pretty muscular, but I would think the cannula would still go into the subcutaneous tissue.Today he was sitting in a chair watching tv and it just started alarming saying insulin stopped, change pod. When he removed it, there was a little blood. I'm going to call Insulet tomorrow, but I was just wondering if anyone else has trouble with pods on thighs?
    Today was frustrating because we did a site change around 8 am (scheduled), then another around 1 because it failed. He went to a birthday party a 2:00. When I picked him up, he told me his Pod and Dexcom both came off. (He was playing on an inflatable water slide.)

On a side note, when you do a Pod change, how much (if you do) bolus when you put on a new Pod? We're still playing with numbers, I'm just afraid to dose too much, afraid he'll go low. But he usually ends up a little high when we change sites.
    TIA

2. Traci

Traci Approved members

We have not had problems with pods on thighs. One thing to consider might be if your son is playing with something magnetic in his lap...ds lost a thigh pod or two in the past because he had a toy that we didn't realize had a magnetic closure on his lap. Just a thought.

For the longest time, we did not experience highs after site change. Now we consistently do though, so I do a push bolus of .5 units and a 25% increase in basal for two hours.

3. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

We do not use thigh sites as DD prefers not to and we rotate belly, arms, and bottom.

We very slowly inched up our post- pod change bolus from the .05 u of basal we missed to 1.00 u, which we generally do as an extended 30 minute bolus with .50 delivered immediately. We just slowly increased the bolus and how we delivered it.

4. KaseyK

KaseyK Approved members

Thighs don't work for us at all. Fall off, high BGs...we stopped trying

5. manda81

manda81 Approved members

We almost exclusively use thighs (and occasionally arms), and have never had a problem with that site. We have the same issue though with his stomach, and that's why we stopped using that area for pods.

For us, on his thighs we don't pinch up, we do lightly push down on the nose at insertion, and we don't do any extra bolus, but with arms we do have to do a 1/2 unit bolus, and temp +50% for about 2 hours.