- advertisement -

Anyone have problems with Sil canula coming out?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by twicker1, Feb 3, 2009.

1. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

This is the second time it has happened. Today, and exactly two weeks ago. We have got up in the morning to find that the Sil 13mm canula just hanging out of his site. :( We are putting the set through the Tagaderm (as per our rep due to other issues), and on his hip/butt (again, our only real viable space). Rep watched our technique, so that isn't an issue. You can't even see any visible sign of the canula when it is inserted, so it is all the way in to begin with.

My only thought is that his rolling around at night, possible rubbing at the site, is somehow lifting a little part of it out, and then it gets caught on something and pulled out.

Anyone else had this happen, and on a continual basis?

2. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

We only use the 17mm ones and haven't ever had one come out, but I could see where we would with the 13mm ones. We've had a couple of close calls with the 17s, where it pulls out just a little, but it does stay in place for the duration of the site.

3. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

You know, if you're putting Tegaderm underneath the site, you might want to put a tiny piece of tape over the canula itself to hold it down. It's bound to slide more on the Tegaderm. Have you tried just using barrier wipes or something instead of the Tegaderm underneath?

4. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

Honestly, it sounds like he may be fiddling with it, maybe even in his sleep. Scratching at it maybe. My son did that for a while. I have never had a sil (or any angled set) just slip out.

5. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

He does tend to scratch more around his sites, and I figure that is the problem. Just wondered if this is something others have to deal with also. No, I've only put the Tagaderm under the site. I THINK I have one barrier in there. I'm about to put on the new site, so maybe I'll try that. Thanks!

ETA: I have one Bard (is that the barrier?)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  6. Zac's Mom

Zac's Mom Approved members

we use the 13's & haven't had any problems?

7. D A Morisse

D A Morisse Approved members

Yes, Bard is the correct one

8. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

bard is a barrier wipe.
    We have never used tegaderm under the sets, just the wipes. Only had it come out once or twice and have been pumping over 2 years.

Have had many other issues, just not this one

9. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Happened to me today... For some reason the adhesive never really stuck this morning, and I realised it had come out in school. Guess what? I'm high now. It's happened a couple of times before, but it's unusual for me.

10. Isabelle's Mom

Isabelle's Mom Approved members

We've never had the problem with a silhouette, but used to have this problem a lot with the Quick Set.

If you continue to have problems, you could try Skin Prep instead of IV Prep. It is much stickier. The downside is that it is really difficult to remove, and you will probably have to use something like Unisolve to get it off.