- advertisement -

Anyone have any experience on glucose testing in cafeteria not allowed?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cal'smom, Aug 21, 2013.

1. cal'smom

cal'smom New Member

We were told in the middle of December last year, we could no longer test our son in cafeteria due to the blood, or possible loss of supplies. Long story short, we have filed a complaint with the OCR. Anyone have this experience and what was the result? Anyone have to file a complaint against the school and what was your experience with the OCR? Thank you.

2. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

Welcome. I am not sure where you are but here PWD are allowed to check anywhere at anytime by law.

As a practical matter people do bleed anywhere at anytime: my little brother was one of those kids who had a bloody nose all the time without any apparent underlying medical problem. There are actually people bleeding in the cafeteria all the time unless there is a big red tent somewhere that they require all menstruating females to go to.;)

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Which state are you in? Many have laws governing testing in the schools.

4. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

When Hana switched from public school (which was wonderful with all things relating to D) to a small private school last year, the first week, the nurse approached me and said she would have to come to the nurses office for her BS checks because she may "contaminate"'others. I asked her with what exactly she would contaminate them with and she couldn't answer me. I then told her that by NJ Law she could check anywhere she needed to. When I got home, I emailed her the law as well as information in a training class for school nurses at the hospital, which she did attend. What state are you in? Check the laws or get your endos office involved.

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Welcome,

Is it a public or private school? Do you have a 504 in place? What have you been doing for the past 8 months?

6. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

Does anyone know if this is the same in the province of Ontario in Canada? Just the testing anywhere rule? I know it's a smidgen off topic but I had my supervisor and manager tell me its not appropriate for me to check at my desk but it's not like I do it when there is a customer in front of me. And EW to having to go to the bathroom like I was told...the bathroom is more gross than anywhere else..unless I was in an infested swamp or something...lol

7. swellman

swellman Approved members

Just a thought on contamination - I was chastised by the nurse at the endo because the hospital system no longer allowed used test strips in the sharps containers. They were told to toss them in the trash.

8. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We've always just put used test strips in the trash. We were just told not to put sharps.

She was diagnosed in 8th grade and the nurse said she can test anywhere BUT the bathrooms, because they're gross. :eek:

9. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

From what I have read, each province has their own disability laws. Here is a website that might give you some information, or at least a place to start. Good luck.

The Ontario Human Rights Commission:

www.ohrc.on.ca.

You may also want to check out the Canadian section of this website:

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

10. shannong

shannong Approved members

Hi Alicia,

I live in Ontario too, but not sure what the laws are here in regards to testing. I am curious about something though: I noticed from your signature that it says that you are getting the Dexcom in October. What have you heard in regards to when the Dexcom will be available here in Canada? I'm anxiously awaiting it's release here in Canada.

11. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

My understanding is that if you are forbidden from testing anywhere then the requirement is they have to have a designated area for you to test, and the area's sole purpose has to be testing. So not a bathroom.

Although, i think the room could be dual purpose if it was a first aid room etc (but not a washroom)