- advertisement -

Anyone got the new Animas Vibe?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, Mar 10, 2015.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Do you like it? We get the new Dexcom Share on Thursday and still wondering if the Vibe would be a benefit.

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I think the benefit of Vibe is that you don't need to carry a receiver at all. Good for the totally independent.. And the no dial-up bolus amount of course :) of course...

3. Sari

Sari Approved members

FYI. I spoke with someone from Animas and Dexcom yesterday. The Vibe will not work with the Share so you will still need your Dexcom receiver.

4. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

My DD does not like her Vibe. She says the CGM screen is hard to read and she doesn't find the CGM info as accessible and useful as she did with a receiver. But she was so looking forward to not carrying the receiver she doesn't want to go back. So she ignoring the CGM info a lot more. For that reason I regret getting the Vibe at all.

She also hates some of the additional alerts that are inconvenient and more persistent than the receiver. She doesn't like that the Vibe asks her if she wants to calibrate with every single bg she enters into the pump. Its an extra step in bolusing and she almost says yes every time because she's rushing and yes is the default.

The only things she does like is not dialing up the dose and not carrying or misplacing the dexcom receiver. Overall we are both really disappointed.

5. Dad_in_Canada

Dad_in_Canada Approved members

We use the Vibe and the Dexcom receiver (receiver stays at home), and while there are indeed differences between them, I don't find there is much of a difference in functionality or ease of use. In fact, the Vibe has an awesome CGM screen that shows current BG, the trend arrow, and the IOB. This is one of the most useful screens (and one that can't exist on the Dexcom receiver, since it has no idea of insulin delivery).

I'm wondering if your Vibe CGM setup is set the way your stand-alone receiver is. The Vibe has snooze times for alarms like the stand-alone receiver, so there shouldn't be any more persistence with the Vibe alarms, and specific alerts can be turned on or off (like on the stand-alone).

The Vibe screen is smaller than the stand-alone, which can make it a bit harder to see long-term data (like 12-hour history), and it takes a bit longer to scroll through the different history screens (1 hour, 3 hour, 6 hour, etc). There is a short-cut button to the CGM screen on the top of the pump (doubles as the screen contrast button), so it's accessible with 1 button press.

The calibrate query on boluses is a bit of a nuisance, but once you're used to it, it's literally a 1 second to flip to "No".

My biggest peeve with the Vibe is the alarm volume is pathetic. The Medtronic Veo is similarly too quiet.

The Vibe has so far been very good for us, the biggest benefit being not having to carry around the stand-alone receiver. Keeping things small & simple has been the main reason we haven't jumped on Nightscout. It's just too much stuff to carry around.

6. momof3sons

momof3sons Approved members

How does someone under the age of 18 get the Vibe?

7. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Yes, we knew it would not work with bluetooth , but thought my son could just use Vibe during the day and only have the receiver share near him at night or as needed. We already got the new Share receiver and works great. We had the Share cradle before. Almost too much info seeing him at 70 driving not knowing if he just ate. He had and his BG was going up I found out later. A very fine line with a 18 year adult do I really near all that info all the time. We both thought having the Vibe would make it one less thing to carry , but he says he is fine with the receiver he is so used to carrying it. Had one since 2008. What worries me is the previous comments on more annoying alarms and asking if you want to calibrate every time.

Not having to roll up to bolus would be nice.

Can someone tell me does history show the actual carb amount now or is it still just in units?

Also just pressing the top button(old light button) shows the last CGM graph?

8. Dad_in_Canada

The "calibrate every time" is when you do an EzCarb bolus, and add the current BG to the equation. It combines the carb bolus and the correction bolus. Since you've entered the BG into the pump, it's asking you if you want to calibrate the CGM with this BG value. To me that makes sense, and is convenient, since you then don't have to do a separate CGM calibrate operation. If you just do an EZCarb bolus, and don't enter the BG, then it doesn't ask if you want to calibrate the CGM.

Once you enter everything, and "Show Result", a single up button press will auto-populate the bolus amount. You only have to scroll if you want to override the recommended amount (and you don't have to scroll from zero in this case, just from the recommended amount......hope I'm making sense here).

The bolus history on the pump just shows the units, but the carb amount shows up in Diasend.

Yes, pressing the top button from a dark pump screen brings you to the last CGM graph. If the top button is pressed from a lit screen, it alters the screen contrast.

9. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I am still trying to decide we want to upgrade. We currently have the Share receiver too in addition to the Ping. In cases where we would want him to carry the Share to have readouts, I guess you can turn off the sensor data on Vibe so he does not get alerts on both?

Also, on the Vibe does it vibrate first like the Dexcom receiver? Or does it go straight into beeping? My son like that the receiver vibrates first that way he can acknowledge it with out beeping in class.

10. Dad_in_Canada

You can't really turn off sensor data on the Vibe. You'd have to either stop the sensor session (and then do a re-start with 2-hour warm-up), or disable the individual alerts.

The Vibe is a bit opposite of the Dex receiver on vibration for alerts. When it does alert, it gives the audible alert first, followed a few seconds later by a vibrate. I wish it had the same behavior as the Dex receiver, but we've simply accepted it.

Having both the Vibe & the Dex receiver alerting can be a nuisance for sure. They can be a couple minutes ahead/behind of each other on when the alert happens, so once you acknowledge one, the other can alert a couple minutes later. A pain when you're dealing with a persistent low at 3:00am, or in your case, in the middle of class.

11. rivulet

rivulet New Member

We are having to switch pumps. I'm new on here and can't seem to figure my way around so I jumped in here. I was searching where to introduce my family. Currently looking for opinions on Medtronic vs. Animas vs. t-slim.

mom to 14yr son dod 10/01
    Thanks!