- advertisement -

Anyone else Homeschooling?

Discussion in 'School and Daycare' started by foxa71, Apr 21, 2011.

1. foxa71

foxa71 Approved members

For two years I tried working with the schools. I volunteered because they have no nurses on site. I made sure I was there for lunches because I don't trust the office receptionist to give my child the right insulin. I even got a job as a yard duty to make sure I could be there for my daughter at recess. As parents, we shouldn't have to worry as much about our kids getting treatment for their diabetes. One day, I went to get her insulin from the office and they didn't have a key or know how to access her supplies. What if she needed a glucagon shot?

Forget the worrying, now I homeschool. I've been homeschooling for three months now and truly enjoy it. She goes to 4 extra curricular workshops a week where I help out in the classrooms. I'm hoping they let me homeschool my autistic son soon. Right now they won't because they say he's below grade level reading, but he has an IEP. Very frustrating.

Anyone else decide to home school their child(ren)?

2. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

We homeschooled way before diabetes entered our sorry little lives. :D Finishing up our 9th year actually:eek: . I teach science in a co op locally and my son attends college prep classes once per week.

We're in it for the long haul, my son will be homeschooled 3rd-graduation and my daughter from K-graduation, God willing.

I LOVE homeschooling.

3. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I half-homeschool - one kid is homeschooled and one kid is not ;)

DS (non-D) homeschooled K-2 and is now in 3rd grade at the local school. DD homeschooled K, tried one semester at the local school and returned to homeschooling in January.

We're not homeschooling because of the diabetes, at least not directly, but I will say that it is so, so, so much easier to deal with diabetes without having the school involved. If/when she goes back to school, I will really miss the convenience of the diabetes care. Our sitter (we both WOHM) is definitely easier to talk to than our school nurse had been!

4. foxa71

foxa71 Approved members

It is easier for sure. I found that my daughter gets a more rounded education. When they attend school they only focus on English and Math to pass the STAR testing in the Spring. Erin gets Science, Social Studies, P.E. (which has been taken out of the schools here in our area), a writing workshop, reading, a science lab, art (also non existent in public schools) and Spanish. Plus, it takes a lot less time than a full day of school so she has time to learn other things.

5. Carrie333

Carrie333 Approved members

Hi,
    I homeschooled 2 of my 3 girls for 7 years. My youngest, became a type q during 2nd grade and boy! was I ever glad that she was homeschooled.
    We could take a break at any time. I gave her her shots & taught her how to give them to herself. At math time she learned carb counting & carb to insulin ratio. We could take breaks for lows & breaks for running or swimming when high & when ill just read books. She did not have to miss any schooling for Dr. appointments or when being hooked up to the pump. I taught other mothers and children in our park group about diabetes so they all could help Lilli out if need be.
    I was there for Lilli, no nurse needed & no school telling my daughter that she cannot check her blood glucose in class or that she could not drink or eat this or that. I did not have to worry about who would be able to administer the glucagon. Or if they would even know how. I did not have to worry if they could even recognize the symptoms. I also taught Lilli's older sisters how to take care of her all in the very familiar setting of home. So nice.
    Now Lilli attends high school & is very prepared to take care of any diabetic situation. I have spoken to all of her teachers & they understand that they are not to get in the way of Lilli when she is dealing with her diabetes. The teachers have my #, her fathers # & her sisters #'s and the diabetes hot line # just in case.
    Keep up the good work. I never have or ever will regret homeschooling. They were the best days of our lives.
    Carrie

6. aprils

aprils New Member

Im Going to start homeschooling my daughter,she is in the 8th grade.Is anyone from Texas? And do you homeschool online or from books ?

7. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Hi!
    You may have better luck here if you open a new thread in the introduction section of the forum, tell folks a little about yourself and ask any questions you have about home schoolers from Texas. I know you've been here before, but you're likely to get a response more specific to you if you open a new thread instead of resurrecting an old one.
    I think several people here home school in Texas, we home school in Colorado but not "for" diabetes. There are a million ways to do it, if you're just starting out that's an exciting time and there are great options open for you! Have a ball!
    :cwds:

8. lisac

lisac Approved members

We are in Kentucky, but we homeschool. This year is our first year. We made our decision based on the school system in our area, but diabetes did have a little bit of an influence. I have been making up our curriculum from scratch with text books and workbooks I found at yard sales and from the internet. It's begining to be a little too much for me (I also work 48+ hrs a week and we have 3 kids,) so now I am looking into going with a "real" curriculum. We are probably going with Christian Light Education once we get our taxes back and we can afford it (the first of the yr is hard on us because all of our ins. deductables start over and my hubby is type 1 also...EXPENSIVE!!!)

9. Pull Up A Chair

Pull Up A Chair Approved members

Me. I homeschool.

I just wrote about this in the introductions section.

I have 2 children. My son has Asperger's Syndrome and can not be in a special ed environment. It's far too chaotic. We had just found out our daughter had type 1 in June 2010 and tried to keep her in school but due to the class sizes, 36 in her room, she got sick the first week back. There is no nurse there either however, an itinerate nurse was supposed to show up at lunch... Well, I had to drive to the school at lunch because the nurse who was supposed to show up would often be late. Then the phone calls from the school were constant - and get this, the taunting! My little girl had to defend herself from ignorant kids who would tell her that she gave diabetes to herself from eating too much sugar. Yep, it was all her fault. She explained to them the facts but they would tell her she was lying and all she had to do was not eat sugar. (I wish.) So, since I was already homeschooling the one kid... I took on the other one.

We have a fabulous "homeschool - school" - school (I know...What's that?) It's a public school through the district that caters to homeschoolers. My kids go to math, science, music, art, computer etc.... classes but it's all up to us. We decide if we want to go or just stay home and get through the work. The teachers are terrific. Well... got to run. I am happy I found this site!:D

10. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I've been home school since 2nd grade, I'm in 11th grade now. I love it, the year I was dx I was in cyber school and went to their art school twice a week, but I went back to home schooling the next year (not because of d). We go to a homeschool coop but this is our last year there because I'll be a sr and my younger sister will be in cyber/art school=( I really love it though, my mom teaches Russian at the coop, we've been there for years:D (I'm one of four, two older and one younger, the oldest graduated from home school and the second oldest from cyber, my sisters in bible college right now and my brothers graduated bible college and serving as youth pastor at a church in NC)

11. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

My mom used to make up all our curriculum too, when ever we complained about school she threatened to just give us all text books, when she finally came through on her threat we all told her we liked the text books better. Its simple, I just do x amount of pgs per day and I have an answer key to correct my work (when I was younger my mom helped me of course) I've never heard of Christian light education but I hope you guys like it! don't be afraid to use different curriculum for each subject, I use teaching text books for math, apologia for science, Bob Jones for Spanish and government, ect. Just use what works for you and your kids=)

12. Bolin4

Bolin4 New Member

Both of my children are diabetic, my son stayed in school for a year after being diagnosed and they my daughter was diagnosed and she stayed in school for a few months. They were missing too much class time going to the nurse and not to mention how the kids treated them. So my husband and I decided to homeschool, which they are much happier, but my son does miss his friends. I have yet to find a homeschool support group that fits our family, most of them are very religious which we are not.