- advertisement -

Anyone else have issues with Unomedical sets?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Momof4gr8kids, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

Julia has used the inset for almost 3 years now. In the last year or so I am noticing that the sets are being made cheaper.
    I have had about a handful of sets that are missing one or both tabs that you use to draw back the inserter, and the adhesive doesn't seem to be as good. Before this change, we'd only loose maybe one site a month tops to the site just slowly peeling, now I would say we're close to loosing 4 per month on the second day, and have had to have her script adjusted for this. I was talking with our CDE about the Cleo as another option because it has the same type of attachment, and it is also a 90 degree, rather than angled set. She said that she has noticed the same thing with the Cleo (it's the set she uses with her pump). They are both made by Unomedical, and I am wondering if others have noticed the same thing with Unomedical products?

I should add, we do use IV prep, and we do wait until it has fully dried before inserting the new set. She gets bright red irritated skin from the IV 3000.

We're also about ready to get our next pump. I noticed MM makes the majority of infusion sets that go with the MM pump. Anyone have any feedback on how well they stick, or any issues they have had with the sets that go with the MM?

Thanks a bunch for any feedback.

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Are you sure Cleo are made by Unomedical - I think they are made by Smiths themselves. The other set you could try is the Flexlink or Ultra Flex from AccuChek - I think their products are great quality.
    We use Skin Tac with our sets and we have troubles getting them off.

MM sets are made by Unomedical :cwds:

3. Momof4gr8kids

4. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

We had lots of issues with the Inset ourselves.. Switched to Cleos about a year ago and not a problem since.. We also switched from Iv Prep to Skin Tac, made a big difference..

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  5. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

6. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

7. hypercarmona

hypercarmona Approved members

I've noticed this as well. I'm actually in the process of returning an entire box of pink 23in, 6mm insets where the tubing was wound so tightly around the inserter that it was kinked and bent at the luer lock connection. I could see inside the ones that I hadn't opened, and the luer lock is sticking straight up because it's so tightly wound, versus the others which lay flat and are loosely coiled around the inserter. I don't feel comfortable wearing something that looks like it could snap off at any moment, so they're being shipped back.

As for the adhesive, that was the reason I lost six sets with my last prescription, and had to go back to lantus until my next shipment arrived. Not only are they performing poorly, but they look like they're being more cheaply made. I've noticed little pieces of extra plastic and rubber on the site connector and that the area where the tubing actually goes inside the luer lock looks sloppy. Compared to a spare comfort short I've got, where the tubing actually goes straight into the luer lock, nearly all of the new insets I've received have tubing that is angled or bent inside that connection. (And with the problem I had with the pink insets made it look like the tubing was coming out of the side of the luer lock instead of the top.)

I'm thisclose to just saying screw it and going back to MDI full time. At least then I wouldn't have to bother with the DME supplier, the endo, and my insurance all fighting me for some reason or another, and getting crappy supplies on top of that.

8. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Kaleb has not had any problems ( knock on wood ) but we do have a small stock pile so he uses the older ones first and the newer ones get put to the back.

I hope you get everything worked out.

9. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

We do this as well. But maybe its worth looking inside a new box at this point. I'd hate to open them up much later and have trouble returning them.

If there are a lot of people having issues, we should all complain about the downgrade in quality.

10. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy Approved members

IF you look on the infusion boxes from Medtronic, you will see they are also labeled Unomedical as well.

11. candise

candise Approved members

Whenever we have a MM Quickset that does not stick for longer than a day or 2- I call and complain- they always send me a replacment set right away. I have noticed that the Quicksets were not sticking as well recently as they have been in the past. Really ever since the lot 8 recall.

12. Momof4gr8kids

Thanks, we're not MM users, so I don't have a box on hand to look at, and couldn't find information for the product maker when I did my search.

13. Momof4gr8kids

I think I am going to write Unomedical an email addressing the problems I have with their products and give the Cleos a try.

On a side note, I've complained about the sets with Broken tabs, but not about the sets we loose. Having these issues happen once in a while is understandable, but the frequency that we are having these issues lately are both a time waste, and an extra set that we have to change due to their quality issues, and this I find unacceptable. It's a waste of time, insulin, and precious site areas.

Thanks for everyone's input.

14. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

we're also working a stockpile but the last box we opened was new and I found the sites a lot less sticky than normal. where we never had an issue before, they're now peeling around the edges on day 3.

Unomedical makes most of the sites on the market even the MM ones - but is not the same company as Smiths. http://www.infusion-set.com/index.asp?pageid=H2300