- advertisement -

Anyone else going to ADA Call to Congress?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momandwifeoftype1s, Jan 20, 2011.

1. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

Connor and I will were selected to be part of this year's American Diabetes Association's Call to Congress :D. I wanted to see if anyone else from CWD will be going? Also, do any of you live in Washington D.C. area? The Call to Congress goes from March 9-11, but we'd like to stay a couple extra days to go to the Smithsonian Museums. Would anyone like to join us on the afternoon of the 11th or all day on the 12th? Any recommendations on a hotel near the museums? Thank you!

2. *Shannon

*Shannon Approved members

Congratulations! What a a great opportunity!!!! Janie applied, but we haven't heard back yet. How were you informed that your son was selected?

Oops! I thought something didn't look right... Janie applied to JDRF's Children's Congress, not ADA's Call to Congress. Regardless, congratulations!!!!

3. momandwifeoftype1s

Thanks for the congrats! I hope you are selected for Children's Congress.

4. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

Just one word of caution: make sure you take snow boots and winter gear when you go to DC. You can't predict snow in DC!

5. momandwifeoftype1s

That's a good point. It's going to be a challenge for me to pack because I have a tendency to bring way too much stuff. Brian and Grant will not be coming because Brian just started a new job and doesn't have vacation time yet. I figure that I'll just wing it on my own :).

6. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

The JDRF's version called Government Day runs March 12-15 on the heels of what the ADA is doing this year. The JDRF is recognizing the Diabetes Online Community and working on a rountable-type discussion about how the online community impacts D-Management and D-Advocacy overall. Several of the Adult Type 1 Community is invited, and as of now there are three of us who've committed to be there. We fly in on 3/12. I wonder if the two overlap in any ways...

7. momandwifeoftype1s

I don't know, but we could overlap in the evening of the 12th if your group would like to meet up with ours informally. Dinner out? I'd love to meet up with your group too!

8. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

Now that we're within a week of both crews heading to D.C., any new thoughts on touching base at some point? Most of the JDRF advocate folk (and the handful of Adult Type 1s joining for the online aspect) are arriving Saturday. There's stuff that afternoon and a banquet, but something could work out. Let me know.

9. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

Congratulations!!!!!
    The Hilton Embassy Row is on the metro line right by Dupont Circle - thats where my hubby stays when he does business in DC. Its a neat little area- its not far on the Red Line.

10. momandwifeoftype1s

I'll be staying until Sunday afternoon, so I'm up for something if the timing would work. Maybe brunch on Sunday morning? My sister and her daughter are meeting us in DC, so it'll be four of us. The ADA Call to Congress hotel is the Gaylord National, but we're switching to a different hotel closer to the Smithsonian museums on Friday and Saturday nights. I hope to see the JDRF group while we're there. That would be great!

11. momandwifeoftype1s

Thank you very much! We are very honored to have been selected to attend, and I hope we do a good job advocating in DC and beyond. We're staying with the group on Wednesday and Thursday, but my sister booked a hotel for the other nights. It's a boutique type hotel, but I don't remember the name of it. She'll be my tour guide since she's been there many times. Thanks for the hotel recommendation though. I do really appreciate it.