- advertisement -

Anyone else get antsy about eye exams???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by LucyAmber, Jan 17, 2013.

1. LucyAmber

LucyAmber Approved members

So, one time after I was diagnosed, I googled "type 1 diabetes"
    And when your 11, hearing things like "diabetic eye disease, cateracts, glaucoma, etc." can be very scary. Ever since then I have been very nervous about the eye doctor.

I have an appointment coming up soon && I was wondering does anyone else do this?

What do you do to get past it?

2. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I prepare myself for the worst... not the best tactic...

I can tell you though that I've had carteracts and you'd know something was wrong if you had them (I couldn't see out of my left eye) so unless your having vision trouble then I think youre pretty safe

3. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Hope it's some reassurance that the methods of treating eye problems has improved dramatically over the recent years, and I'm sure will continue to improve. My adult niece, who was dx at age 2 and is now in her 30s, had a small issue with her eyes years back. The doc simply did a laser procedure (in office, I believe) and took care of it...no problem. This procedure did not even exist when she was a child.

Stay on top of your health, and make sure any small problems do not become big ones. It is MUCH better to go, even if you are a little scared, then not to go. Not going would be the really scary thing.;)

4. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Maybe you just have to face your fears and just make yourself go.

I don't have fears about the eye dr but I really don't like the dentist. Last year I discovered a cavity that was so big that I could see it. So I finally went to the dentist, and it was very expensive to fix. But I'm glad that at least I didn't lose my tooth. I think he same applies to your eyes; if you go to the eye dr regularly you can catch any potential problems while they are still small and treatable. I wish I hadn't waited so long to see the denist. I think it will be a little less scary each time you go.

Is it possible that the websites you saw referred more to adults with type 2? I think those problems are far more prevalent in adults with or without diabetes than in young children. Do see your eye doctor once a year, but try not to worry about having eye problems. I don't think it's very common in young with type 1 diabetes. If it makes you feel better, my son has had D for three years and his eyes still check out just fine.

Let us know how your appointment went. :)

5. LucyAmber

Thanks for you replies.

I am going to call in the morning & get the appointment.

6. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Good for you!:) Remember you are young and, and although I'm sure it seems like a long time for you, you have not really had D all that long yet. If you manage your BGs fairly well and usually have half decent A1cs, the chances of you having any sort of problem at this point is low. But, getting started on these good health habits will serve you well later in life. That way, should you have any problem one day in the (far off;)) future, it will be caught early and eliminated early.

7. LucyAmber

Appointment set for February 5th :)

8. LJM

LJM Approved members

Good luck and congrats on getting it scheduled. DS just has his today (year 5 of them) and they have all checked out OK. Great odds that yours will too.

9. LucyAmber

Just got back from my appointment. It went great! I picked out some new frames, should get them tomorrow or Thursday.