- advertisement -

Anyone else a post dx Jay Cutler fan?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DavidN, Jan 3, 2014.

1. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

I've never been a big Chicago sports fan, except for Michael Jordan, but I'm finding myself vested in Cutler week-to-week. Pre dx I found him a bit surly and hard to pull for. Post dx and the Bears are the first score I look for Sunday evening. After he has a bad game, I keep waiting for some sports bobblehead to bring up his D, but haven't seen it yet, thank god. He just signed a 7 year extension worth a ton of money. I was afraid they'd pass on him. I know my son can do whatever he wants with his life, but seeing someone with T1D actually play football at the highest level goes a long way towards reinforcing those beliefs, for my son ... and me.

2. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I've been a Cutler fan both pre and post diagnosis. You either love him or hate him, I think.

My fb blew up yesterday with comments on the contract - about one third positive and the rest negative. I just hate how if Tom Brady gets furious with and yells at his teammates, he's touted as being a huge motivator and super competive but when Jay Cutler gets disgusted with his team and yells or gets emotional, he's an a**hole. I like to see a player who actually cares about whether the team does well or not, whether they win or lose. I think too many NFL players are simply concerned with their own stats, so if they had a good game, even if the team got crushed, they are satisfied. But, I know I'm in the minority - for whatever reason, most people here in town can't stand him.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

LOL, we refer to him as the grumpy guy with diabetes. Even though we are from New England, we aren't Pats fans, Tom Brady kind of bugs us and Bellichek is even grumpier than Cutler:D We're Giants fans in this house!

4. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I have to say, on the subject of Jay Cutler, my daughter was diagnosed in the middle of the school year last year. The nurse, myself and my daughter had a talk about how she wanted to address the situation and the new things she would be doing at school. Did she want to talk to the class as a whole, keep it private, etc. She decided she'd rather talk to the class as a whole to minimize gossip, so on her first day back to school, the nurse, myself and my daughter talked to the class together.

The kids were looking a little, I don't know, confused, scared, and then jealous when the nurse talked about her potentially needing to eat in class, and then all the sudden you could see the light bulb go off in the mind of this one boy. He raised his hand - "Diabetes? That's what Jay Cutler has! He carries candy bars in his handwarmer during the games." Then, the room was all abuzz about Jay Cutler and his diabetes and the Bears and life and candy bars and it really diffused and normalized the whole situation.

So, I'll be forever grateful to Jay Cutler and to a 10 year old boy named Hudson who put two and two together really quickly.

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I have always been a Cutler fan pre and post dx. I think he gets a bad rap about his attitude, toughness, etc. I don't know of another NFL player that gets scrutinized like he does for his posture, his facial expressions, etc. it is kind of ridiculous. I was really happy when he was traded to the Bears and was even happier when they just signed him to a long term deal. He is one of the best QB's the Bears have ever had and now with the other weapons he has on the offense I see only good things for the future.

Here is a video I made when Jay was with the Denver Broncos. It shows Jay testing his bg on the sidelines and John Madden has some nice things to say about Jay and his diabetes. Jay is a great role model for our children.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=c4-feed-u&v=QHEZJUbeBqY

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  6. mmc51264

mmc51264 Approved members

We are huge Jay Cutler fans after he was hired by Chicago. We are originally from Chicago, but live in the South now. I was thrilled when I found out he was T1. It has helped my son realize that he can do just about anything!!! (he wants to go in the Army, that is about the only thing he will not be able to do :( )

7. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Cool video. Thanks for sharing.