- advertisement -

Anyone done a pump start through Integrated Diabetes Services?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kirsteng, Dec 4, 2013.

1. kirsteng

kirsteng Approved members

Just thinking about possibilities here..

Just found out through our clinic (Canada) that despite the fact that we have requested a pump start as soon as possible after the 1 year mark that our province requires in order to fund the pump, that we are now on a 6 month long waiting list to get trained at the clinic.

That would be annoying in itself, as we asked to be put on the list a year ago, as we were absolutely certain that we would be pumping asap... but it's now even more crucial as we know we will be moving out of the country this coming summer (probably July). Being on a waiting list to get training in "May or June" is not soon enough to be proficient on the device a month or two later.

So I'm wondering if anyone has done a pump start with IDS or some other private company? I would imagine that with Skype etc it would be just as good, if not better, training than what would be available through a clinic. I haven't even looked to see if this is one of the services they provide.. just thinking out loud here.

2. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

Seriously?! I am going to bring this up with my endo in january...I don't want to come up at the year mark and then be told you have to wait 6 months because of pump training...Maybe its a diff list for adults vs children though. I imagine that there are more children on the list for pumps than adults..Still I think that's pretty stupid that they would delay a pump start because you haven't been trained properly. Don't you just love canada/ontario :rolleyes:

3. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Yes. Hana went to see Gary Scheiner to start her pod. It was going to be weeks to do it thru our hospital. Fortunately, we are in driving distance to IDS. We were up and running in an hour so glad we didn't wait for the hospital trainer. A big part of their business is done over phone and skype. They consult with people all over the world.

4. kirsteng

I would imagine that you're right, Alicia - the peds clinics would probably have a much higher demand for pumps, being that the average age to get t1d is 11, if I remember correctly.

Definitely mention it though - doesn't hurt to be proactive. We thought we were... sometimes I guess even the best laid plans... :rolleyes:

5. kirsteng

Great to know - thanks!

I like having options! ;)

6. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Why not make the pump company supply a trainer, that's what they do in BC with Medtronic. I requested a certain person and she got paid, I just filled out the paper work for her, I had already started on my own. We did have a lovely meal together when I gave her the paperwork :)

7. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I was going to make the same suggestion, Kirsten. That's how we did our pump start (although our Medtronic trainer happened to also be a nurse at our clinic--an added bonus!). It's definitely worth a call to Animas!

8. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

You could try a non-pediatric clinic. I know several families that went that route. The pump reps are amazing, too as others have suggested.

9. momof1CWDinohio

momof1CWDinohio Approved members

We have not done a pump start through IDS, but we are using Gary and Lisa in his office now as consultants on a 3-month contract. So far, we have made many positive changes we wouldn't be doing otherwise and his a1c at his endo visit today was the second lowest ever.

We are very happy with IDS. Note: we are not within driving distance. We have used Skype and conference calls so far.

10. kirsteng

Thanks everyone for the great ideas, but it looks like a miscommunication at the clinic. The person who books the training was not aware that we had requested a spot a year ago and were somewhat of a special case due to our impending move. So when she cross-referenced with our endo/cde, she came up with a spot in late January.

It's so relieving to know that IDS is available via skype - so even if we don't receive much support from our new clinic after we move, we will always have access to expert advice.