- advertisement -

Anyone dislike the Dexcom G4's rechargable battery?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by moco89, Dec 31, 2012.

1. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Does anyone find it a hassle to charge the Dexcom G4 every day?

I just hate the idea of having it tethered to a wall every night. I am sometimes on a weird schedule and charging it in an AC outlet or even on my computer is extremely inconvenient, especially with the limited transmitter range.

Am I the only one who hates the rechargeable battery?

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I don't have to charge it every day. We only have to charge it about every 6 nights, so we just plug it in then. It takes less than an hour and its charged and ready to go.

3. selketine

selketine Approved members

The G4 has a very long charge. At the moment I'm charging it about every 7 days. It takes 3 hours to charge. You aren't supposed to "overcharge" it I think so I put the charger on a timer overnight into a wall outlet so it turns off in 3 hours. Surely you must sleep 3 hours straight once every 7 days right? :p

The range is really good - although I think overnight you wouldn't want to be charging it it another room cause you wouldn't hear the alarms.

Charging with a computer takes longer. The book says that a fully discharged battery takes 3 hours to charge by AC outlet and 5 hours by computer. I don't see anything in the book about not leaving it plugged in longer than the 3 or 5 hours - in the 7+ there was a note about it.

4. dianas

dianas Approved members

I love the new rechargeable battery. It lasts much longer between charges than the Seven Plus about 6 or 7 days for me. It only takes a couple of hours to charge. Plus having a standard connection means more options for charging. I can charge at my computer, in the car, at work, or at home using a wall outlet. You're not stuck if you forget to bring the proprietary cable with you while you're on vacation.

Why did you think it needed to be charged daily?

5. swellman

swellman Approved members

This ^^^ only charged it twice and we are on sensor 1 day 10.

6. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

Has anyone used their cell phone charger to charge it mine has the same connector wondering if it would work in a pinch

7. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I have when I couldn't find the cord. I'd much prefer batteries personally. I don't know what we'll do on camping trips. Hang out in the shower house for three hours while G4 charges? If there is a shower house?:(

8. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Do you go camping for a week? If not, charge it right before you leave and you should be good for the weekend.

9. moco89

moco89 Approved members

I would much prefer batteries too. Even the obscure coin cell batteries are preferable. A permanent battery loses battery life over time (in about a year of use). You don't have to worry about power surges either with disposable batteries. In a lot of ways, I think the permanent rechargeable battery on a CGMS receiver is more or less a reason to need a replacement device sooner.

I am getting the Voltaic Systems Amp solar charger to deal with it. The ratings on it (voltage, current, wattage) are acceptable. It also has great reviews on Amazon. It is just expensive. I probably will keep it in that case at all times and probably leave it charging as much as possible. It is pretty sturdy from what I can tell. Also, the replacement battery is inexpensive, around $30.

I am an electrical engineering student, but I had to take over a year off due to receiving treatment for a rare autoimmune disease that basically is identical to diabetic autonomic neuropathy (except I do not have diabetic autonomic neuropathy).

I have a lot of devices to keep track of and the cgms is just too much to keep track of, along with my iPhone, iPad, Laptop, PS Vita. When I go back to school next semester, I am just going to keep all of the cords on a surge protector. I will carry it in my backpack, even though it is kind of nerdy. I just hate the idea of having the Dexcom G4 tethered. It is a major annoyance for me.

I have sensitive thresholds on the Dexcom G4 and it alarms all of the time so I guess that is why the battery depletes within less than a day.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  10. moco89

moco89 Approved members

It says in the User guide to only use:

1. The AC adapter supplied by Dexcom.

OR

2. A PC with a USB port that has Dexcom Studio installed

BUT, there is nothing said about the warranty being voided if you use anything else. If they don't know you use something else to charge it, they can't care.

11. swellman

No offense, friend, but I think you have your priorities out of whack. If you can charge your iPhone, you can charge your Dexcom G4.

... and if you think your PSVita has better battery life than the Dexcom something's wrong with your Dexcom.

12. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I don't have the G4 yet but something here is sticking out at me. I think something is wrong with your dexcom. I have the 7+ and it alarms usually twice an hour at least and I still get 5-7 days out of the battery (set low=80 high=200).

I think you should call dexcom and tell them your battery is depleting in less then a day.

13. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Thanks.

I can't hear well over phones so I don't really care to use it.

My priorities probably are not straight but when I get back to school I will have to figure out what to do.

14. dianas

dianas Approved members

Even with frequent checking and alarms going off your Dexcom charge shouldn't be depleting as quickly as yours is. There has to be something wrong with your receiver. It's under warranty so they can replace it.

15. natallia

natallia Approved members

Something must be wrong with the battery on your receiver. I check mine all the time and charge it maybe every three days, it hasn't been depleted so much that It turned itself off. I just top it up when the battery is more then half way down.

16. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

If you do end up trying this, please let us know how it works. Like most people on here, most of the time I do have access to electricity at least once a week, but that is not always true. I do take extended backpacking trips and a few other remote activities that have caused me to rule out various devices because they don't have changeable batteries. If there is a reasonable way around this, it'd be great to know. Unfortunately, integration is still a make or break factor for me, so no dexcom in the near future for me either way but I'd like to know my options.

17. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

You can simply get something like this and charge in the car while you drive :) http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Powerjolt-Universal-Micro-Colors/dp/B0042B9U8Q/

Or if you need truly portable power, an external battery can work really well for charging devices.. I have two of these and they get a lot of use. I took them with us to Hawaii and not only was it nice to have them on the 8 hour plane ride to keep everything charged, but it was really great to just keep one in my backpack when we were out all day and not have to worry about using my phone too much (we used it a lot to figure out bus routes and look at maps.. and that can drain a battery in half a day because of all the screen/gps usage) since I could recharge it on the go :) They're only slightly larger than a smartphone, so not much extra to carry at all

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Powerjolt-Universal-Micro-Colors/dp/B0042B9U8Q/

We spent 3 weeks on the road last summer, mostly camping without electricity, and I was able to keep all of our phones, my iPad, my husband's Xoom, and two kindle fires charged throughout the trip, despite having basically no access to any electricity other than my car.

18. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

The rechargable battery would not be a deal breaker for me, but I don't like the concept as well as a replacable battery. It's just one more thing that I have to remember to do, and seems like a bigger hassle than just throwing a new battery into the thing. Same issue with the t-Slim. I suppose you just get used to tossing it on the charger every so often, but it's not preferable to me.

19. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Well, I can say personally, having to use a proprietary cable to charge the 7+ seems almost archaic compared to the convenience of being able to use a USB cable. I don't have a G4 system yet (not sure when I'll have the $$$$ involved in purchasing one with my high deductible.. I'm due to replace my pump later this year so possibly after that, if I don't try to wait it out until next year).

20. swellman

I just wanted to comment that my son told me that we've been charging his G4 with the Nook charger ... no problems.