- advertisement -

Anyone considering the Animas Vibe and/or the new Dexcom Share receiver?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ecs1516, Jan 29, 2015.

1. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We had put in our paperwork to upgrade ($99) to the Animas Vibe for my 18 year old. Have not paid or setup up shipment. I debate on canceling it when they call for payment etc. Since the Dexcom Share receiver is shipping in March(free upgrade for us because we got new receiver mid Jan. and already own Share cradle), I really like the idea of him switching to that since he is used to carrying the receiver anyway. Anybody in same boat considering either? He already has a iPhone5S with use with cradle.

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

As soon as we can, we will ditch Nightscout (she hates the rig) and get the share. I will have to get it out of pocket as we can't get a new one until August.

3. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Nightscout is great and I'm grateful. It is very helpful for nights and certain away situations. But the new Dex receiver will fix Nighscout's two major shortcomings - (1) It has been a pain in the backside to maintain (bad cables, port connection issues, server issues, etc ...) and (2) It is just too dang cumbersome to lug around. Starting in March (hopefully) all he needs is his iphone (which he loves carrying around anyway) and the receiver. Now I WILL be able to monitor him 24/7 not just nights and those rare situations where he's away and the NS rig is actually working. Can't wait til March.

4. Mish

Mish Approved members

We're definitely getting the new share receiver. We're due for our new receiver anyway, so I'll just wait until they're available in March to order one. Nightscout has worked, and I also am thankful to those who started it, because there is no doubt in my mind that their work on #wearenotwaiting has pushed dexcom to get these things to market sooner than they would have. But my son also hates the whole rig, and would never carry it outside the house. We anticipated getting the share dock, so I purposely got him an iphone for christmas, but this is even better.

5. Beach bum

Absolutely agree. A nurse at our practice felt that the popularity of Nightscout is what lit the fire under Dexcom. While it was a citizen hackers program, it definitely gave them pause. I am very grateful for the freedom it has allowed our daughter, but it did have some shortcomings that Dexcom will definitely fix.

6. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

So for those of you planning on getting the new Share receiver and on Animas Ping, do you think you would get the Vibe too? I almost think it would defeat the purpose unless he would only carry receiver when I needed to know. Nice about not having the Vibe , my son could not say he did not want to carry the new receiver. Advantage to Vibe, it populates the insulin field in calculated units when hitting up arrow.

Yes I think the Nightscout project has lit the fire under getting this through faster. In our 15 years of diabetes I cannot believe much new technology has came out recently.

7. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Also, I read something I am not sure if it is true from a Nightscout user site. They said if the person with the receiver is using their phone it would block sending the data to the follow app. We currently has the follow app with the Share cradle and have not experienced this. I would have to set up a test of running things to see if this would really happen. I will say for nights he is asleep anyway and his phone is not busy.:)

8. namegirl

namegirl Approved members

I was excited for the Vibe until I learned that it won't be compatible with any Dexcom upgrades/improvements (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). So as Dexcom improves their sotware/hardware, you'd still be stuck using the original technology (which is from 2011, so it's already dated).

For that reason, we'll be getting the Dexcom separate from our next new pump.

Share looks great, but it's only for iPhones and iPod Touch and we don't have those.

9. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

True , the Vibe has the pre 505 software update. Although that old software has worked fine for us, I am sure getting updates on an insulin pump would be harder to get through FDA than an update through Dexcom. Was hoping to him to carry one thing , but that is a good point. We have had iPhones for years so it works for us.

10. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I think this is the key. Now, you don't have any Apple products, so this might not be important to you, but based upon the conference call, Dexcom is thinking that the G5 could be approved (optimistically) at year's end. G5 will talk directly to your iPhone, eliminating the need for a receiver altogether. But G5 is a new transmitter, and it won't be compatible with the Vibe (or the "up for approval" integrated t:slim, which is what I was thinking about). So if you have a vibe, you lose the ability to take advantage of that and any other G5 upgrades until the pump companies could upgrade - which might happen or might not, but it will definitely be slower.

Then anticipated approval of G5 has really tempered my enthusiasm for an integrated pump.

As far as the new receiver, I'm just going to wait for it in the ordinary course of business (November or (unfortunately, more likely) whenever her current one breaks). We have Nightscout for overnights and I haven't had a lick of trouble with it. My daughter doesn't carry it during the day, never has, so having daytime numbers with no effort would just be a bonus.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  11. Beach bum

We are not. My daughter just switched to the MM Revel (needed 300u). LOL, this old dog didn't want to learn any new tricks, but she's happy with it for the most part. The thing she misses most? The clip! She hates the MM clip. I miss the remote. As does hubby, he finds it awkward to go digging under the blankets, so I'm the night time boluser.

12. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I have thought of that too. If we stick with the Ping we can still use the remote for boluses at night. We no longer use One Touch strips or that meter for checking . but still works fine for a remote.

13. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

We're getting both. But I expect the Vibe to be obsolete within a year because even my DD would prefer to use the G5 transmitter to see her bg on her phone rather than see it on the pump. Until then she'll use the Vibe and keep a G4 share Direct receiver at home so I can follow when she's there and most importantly at night. But this will work for us because she's older and living away at school. She doesn't care to Share every minute of the day and doesn't need the remote. If she was younger I'd keep the remote and make her carry a Share receiver all the time. I wouldn't purchase an out of date pump, but my DD has been waiting so long for it to come out I don't mind paying the $99 upgrade fee. Since we're stuck with Animas another 2 years anyway.

14. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

The one thing I am really looking forward to with the Vibe is pump info and Dexcom info downloading together. I think that will be incredibly helpful. But I haven't heard anyone with a Vibe describe how Animas designed that.

15. dianas

dianas Approved members

You've been able to integrate pump and Dexcom cgms data through Diasend for quite a few months now on Animas accounts. I think maybe since sometime last fall??? Can't remember for sure but I've been downloading both for a while.

And most recently Diasend is now open to all customers not just Animas and accounts that are not Animas accounts most pumps (except Medtronic) are downloadable including Tandem and Omnipod.

In all the years I've been pumping no company or pump has had a pump manufactured that I've been aware of that has been compatible with future technology so this is nothing new. New technology has always resulted in a new model of pump. What I've always done when a new model comes out is decide whether or not the new features are going to be of enough benefit to me given the terms of whatever the cost of the current upgrade offer. Sometimes they are sometimes they haven't been.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  16. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Yes, as Diana said you can download together now. We did it for our last endo appointment.

17. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Another thing I though of is if we got the Vibe and the new Share receiver, if he used it at night and when he is at home he will have to calibrate both devices and with all alerts acknowledge on both devices. Not sure how interested he is in that.

18. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

You can already get Animas and Dexcom data together in Diasend - you don't need an integrated pump to get integrated data. You can even get t:slim and Dex data integrated now.

We are missing our Animas remote meter but love the t:slim. I'll probably be getting the Dexcom share not long after it comes out - and getting my daughter a phone! Ugh! Need to build that into the budget but it will be worth it!

19. caspi

caspi Approved members

We're missing the remote of the Omnipod PDM. Yes, I actually just said I missed something about the Omnipod! :wink: Searching around under his covers at night for the tslim can be like a game of hide 'n seek. :smile: I ordered a new receiver back in December and it's still sitting in the box in the D closet. I will gladly pay an upgrade fee for the share receiver when it's available. It will be nice to have when my son is playing tennis.

20. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I can not give up the remote of the Ping. (HELLO ANIMAS PEEPS)

At this time my girls do not touch their pumps and wear them in a half topon their backs. Although I have mixed feelings about the one touch blue meter reading higher, I think in a weird way its ok. high numbers read higher and the same ISF actually works?

We are really a non-apple family so the Share receiver is a mood point to me, now when it goes to an android app it will be helpful.