- advertisement -

Anyone an omni pod customer in Canada ?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by C6H12O6, Jun 7, 2013.

1. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Anyone an omni pod customer in Canada ?

How can we lobby them to introduce a cut the cord program. There really should be a way to access the omnipod system for around 300$ bc the cost of the pods is so high proportionately to other pumps.

If i could buy an omnipod system for about 300$ I would certainly buy one and invest a good amount of my pump supply funding into pods.

How does one even contact omni pod in Canada ?

Asking for 7000$ for an PDM is ridiculous when you compare it to the fact that animas and Medtronic ask 7000$ for their units. And consider the fact that you can buy a PDM for 3 or 4 hundred dollars in the US.

2. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Are you saying that Insulet offers the PDM in Canada $7,000? That really surprises me, as I thought they took a different marketing approach (e.g., razors and blades).

3. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Yeah, in Ontario the government pays the pump company 7000$ for the pump of your choice. Then you get 2,400$ a year toward pump supplies. That is considered to be 80 percent of the cost of regular pump supplies.
    Omni pod users incur more of an out of pocket expense than regular pump users as a result.

I think the government should pay omni pod less for the pump and give omni pod users more than 2,400$ a year toward supplies.

Or I think thin omni pod should introduce a cut the cord program and people will ultimately buy pods if they can access the PDM for 300-400$.

4. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I'm still not following you:

In your first post, it sounds like you are saying that Insulet is charging the Canadian government $7,000. In your second, it sounds like you are saying that the Canadian government pays every pump company $7,000. Do you mean that, under the Canadian system, they will pay for up to $7,000 for a pump and $2,400 per year for supplies? I thought the "cut the cord" program offered a reduced price on the PDM--not seeing how that would help if the Canadian health system would still provide the same amount for supplies?

5. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

There was a rep contacting me a couple of years ago, but I can't find her number now. She explained that the prices are different here precisely because of the government program. They charge more for the PDM up front, so it falls in line with the max the Assisted Devices Program will cover and then the pods are less so they fall in line more with the $200 per month ADP pays.

Here is their Canadian website
    http://www.myomnipod.ca/en/gettingstarted/contactus/

6. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Interesting that it is so very different. I'm still not sure I'm seeing how reduced price PDM helps unless the $7,000 could then be applied to supplies.

Hope something can be worked out for the OP.

7. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I assumed that C6H12O6 wants to use the Omnipod as a secondary pump and is willing to pay $300 out of pocket for it, but not $7000. Ontario's ADP would pay for the primary pump, and then she would use the $2400 to buy a mix of pods and supplies for the other pump. Same scenario as many people who use Cut the Cord in the US. Maybe I am just misunderstanding, though!

8. Mary Jayne

Mary Jayne Approved members

This is what my son wanted to do. He had just paid for a new minimed and wanted to use the omnipod as a secondary pump and to try it out.

9. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Well the province of Ontario pays 7000$ to any pump company for any pump of the patients choice. Then they give the patient 2,400$ toward supplies each year. I believe I was told by a CDE you would be looking at spending an extra 100$ a month beyond the 2,400$ if you were an omnipod customer. In addition, she said 50$ a month if you were a tradition pump customer.

Now, the fact of the matter is that you can get away with spending just the 2,400$ on supplies with a traditional pump in my experience.

I would be interested in the omnipod if it was available for purchase for 300$ or so. In addition, would buy some pods as a backup just as another poster said. Otherwise, I would be interested in the omnipod if the government restructured it so they pay omnipod less for the PDM, and gave pts more towards supplies per year.

10. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

this is omnipod's email response

Thank you for taking the time to write to us. We really appreciate your interest in OmniPod which is why your feedback is very important to us.

We are still relatively new to the market in Canada (almost 2 years). Our current priorities have revolved around getting OmniPod up and running as well as creating a solid structure and support system (OmniPod Customer Care/Technical Support) for patients and Health Care Professionals.

The ?Cut the cord program? is one that we are seriously assessing right now. We are currently reviewing the different government reimbursement programs throughout Canada and trying to find a plan that would be the best fit for everyone (insurers, HCPs, patients and government).

We do have a newsletter sign up through this link https://omnipod.contactgsk.ca/en/form.aspx if you would be interested in getting any new information (including a Canadian ?Cut the cord program?) when they become available. As much as we try and update our website as frequently as possible, you will get even more information through our Newsblasts.

Please feel free to contact us anytime if you require additional information. We will be more than happy to answer or offer assistance.

Kind regards,

Rachelle Longmuir

Sales Support/Inside Resource

OmniPod ? Team Canada

GlaxoSmithKline

Office 905 374-2573

VM 1800-461-7096 x 87049201