- advertisement -

anyone a mouth breather?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by hmmmcormick, Jan 17, 2011.

1. hmmmcormick

hmmmcormick Approved members

Are any of your kids or yourselves mouth breathers? Do you get bad breath from it? Morgan is a mouth breather and the dentist says it is probably what is causing his horrid breath. They gave me some toothpaste for dry mouth called Biotene and a sample of mouthwash by the same. It helps his dry gums, but doesn't improve his breath much. What do any of you use? He can't use much mouthwash because he can't spit it out. I usually put it on a q-tip and wipe it around his mouth and tongue.

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

I can be a mouth breather (stupid bad sinuses) and if I don't drink alot, then my mouth is very dry...but you would have to ask someone else about my breath :eek:

3. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Right now I am a mouth breather because of this stupid head cold. Holly, try gettng some of those spongy things like they use in the hospital. You could get more mouthwash on them and I think it would be better than a qtip.

4. hmmmcormick

Yeah, I like those things, do you know where I can get those?

5. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

6. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Holly, would you be willing to try the Breathe right strips? They really do work for some people to open up the nostrils so they can breathe through the nose easier. Does Morgan snore too? The strips are supposed to help with that too.

7. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

I use Therabreath toothpaste and mouthwash. Good stuff. I don't wake up with my mouth tasting like I ate a turd. I use a sinus pot too, but it's pretty weird pouring water into your nose. It clears out my sinuses because I breath a lot of dust and mist at work.

I just started using this stuff recently. I wish I would have done it a long time ago.

8. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

I actually took Charlie to the doc last summer about his rank breath. She thought it was due to a "sour stomach" and told me to give him Tums a couple times a day. I thought she was nuts but the bad breath went away. Oh, and Charlie is a mouth breather as well and that is part of the reason he is getting his adenoid out of Friday. :eek:

9. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Does he still have his tonsils? I ask because I saw a medical show here recently and they showed how stuff can build up on the tonsils and cause bad breath. Probably not related at all, but hey...thought I'd share.:eek:

10. hmmmcormick

Thanks for the ideas and opinions.
    Tricia, I think I am going to order the Toothettes, they will be helpful.

Morgan has very small nasal passages and I think that is part of the reason he breathes thru his mouth. He does still have his tonsils. I wonder how they clean tonsils? I will have to ask his pediatrician about that sometime. The last time he saw an ENT we were told his tonsils were normal sized. There are some medical reasons for him to need to keep his tonsils and adenoids, if possible. He doesn't typically snore, either. Maybe trying a neti pot to clear his sinuses would help.

11. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

A neti pot can be difficult because you have to really position your head just right in a rather awkward position for it to not feel like you're drowning...
    One product that I LOVE that my ENT introduced to me is the NeilMed Sinus Rinse... it's like a squirty bottle,and oyu just lean your head slightly forward and to the side rather than having to contort... same concept, much easier to use and I find more effective.
    Good luck!