- advertisement -

Anybody Else Trying to Gain/Maintain Weight?

Discussion in 'Teens OT' started by TheFormerLantusFiend, Dec 31, 2008.

1. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I noticed on the Parents' OT that they are talking about trying to lose weight.

When I went to the doctor in October, I found out that I'd lost 12 pounds since my previous visit in August. My next visit is on January 13 and I'm hoping (though it doesn't seem very likely) to get those 12 pounds back.

The only things I am doing to try to gain weight are eating, taking my insulin, and exercising, but since I was doing those things in September and October (A1c was 6.6), I don't know that those will do the trick. If I've lost more than 4 more pounds (since I think less might just be normal fluctuation), I'm going to ask for a gastric emptying test, in case it's gastroparesis.

Anybody else in the same boat?

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Well, I basically need to exercise more and gain a bit of muscle mass. I lost a ton of muscle before being diagnosed and I still haven't managed to get it back (lol, yeah, in a year and a bit.. :eek:). I need to lift some weights, really, but every time I've done it it's sent me into the 400s, so I stopped.

I'm a tiiny bit underweight, but not enough so that I really NEED to gain (I'm pretty happy with where I am). But it'd be lovely to have muscle.

3. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

Sounds like you need to do a temp basal to me.:cwds:;)

It's the opposite for me. Working out sends me low.

4. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

Yea, that's me...I have no muscle LOL

This video of my doing a trick with my Collie really shows how lacking in the muscle department my arms are, LOL(this was taken three months after diagnoses)...when I first saw this video, all I could think about was...wow I need to do some muscle building:eek: ...you would think all my barn chores(which includes lifting heavy things) would have helped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnN-PehCxvs

I think my weight is fine now. As long as I eat good and everything, I am pretty stable. The last 6 months I have been 126 exactly at my Endo(I was 126 at my November visit, and 126 at the one three months prior). I still haven't put on all the weight I lost prior to diagnoses(I was 129, and dropped to 118-119 the 5 days before I saw my Ped), the last three pounds just don't want to come on. I tend to fluctuate between 123-126 now(but always end up back at 126 in the end). I am about 5'6(just ever so slightly under), so that weight is fine.

Lantus, I hope you either put on some pounds, or are able to find out what is causing you to continue to lose. Especially with the great A1C, and eating! I think I read that you are eating a lot of carbs/calories too. That has to be frustrating.

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Lol, yeah, I'll try that. The times I went into the 400s were actually all before I got the pump, I haven't lifted weights since then, I've tended to stick to running. Any exercise other than weights sends me low really fast.. so it really freaks me out to be taking MORE insulin whilst exercising. Even though I know what weightlifting does to me..

I weigh 110ish, and I'm about 5'5 (5'6?). When I got dx'd I weighed 80 and I was 5'5... That was bad. Before I started losing weight I was like 120.

6. TheFormerLantusFiend

When I used to lift weights regularly, I took a unit of insulin (plus correction if needed) before lifting everytime, except for once when I was 71 when I started- finished the lifting session with a 126. On the other hand, lifting weight generally raised me about 80- didn't take me to 400.
    Another thing I tried was running first, then lifting weights. It worked reasonably well.

7. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I could try this.. If I don't lower my basal, running usually takes me down to abouut 50 (if I start with a BG of 120-160ish and run for a half hour) so I probably wouldn't have enough energy to lift weights. I could lift the weights first and then run, because the rise from lifting weights wasn't immediate (I'd go up about 100pts whilst weight lifting, but the major part of the spike would be in the next hour).

8. Rukio

Rukio Banned

I actually want to lose weight, last time I checked my weight, 139. Most of the people in my family are kind of heavy set. I think its kind of funny, a kid in 5th grade called me fat, saw me two years later (after I was diagnosed btw) and thought I had anorexia because I lost so much weight.
    But don't worry, just eat normally, and eventually it'll even out.

9. TheFormerLantusFiend

This is fifteen months later... it turned out that I was thyrotoxic (too much thyroid hormone in my system) plus I had gallbladder disease that was causing hepatitis, plus I had (thankfully transient) polycythemia.

By the time my weight turned around, I lost 22 pounds (from a starting weight of 119 down to 97). I'm not sure what I weigh now, I think I'm around 105. Part of me would like to gain weight, part of me is terrified that a weight gain would be a sign of some new disease process...

To me, it seems like eating never really helps me gain weight. I ate like crazy when I was diabetic not yet diagnosed... I lost over twenty pounds. I ate as much as I could force myself to eat when I was losing weight the winter of 2008-2009... I lost over twenty pounds.

10. Rukio

Rukio Banned

:/ wow...all of that combined with diabetes. Personally, I went from 80 to about 60 pounds before I was diagnosed. I was diagnosed about a year after having been at deaths door from scarletina mixed with strep (about a 104? degree fever) I couldn't walk, I was in and out of my body, then I finally came out of it later that day. They didn't think I'd really recover fast. They were partly wrong. I'm still trying to regain the strength I lost that day, and thats been a few years. But, thats nothing compared to what you went through, and sorry, didn't realize this was an older post x.x