- advertisement -

Any update on the Omnipod test strip saga

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by maddiesdad, Jul 12, 2011.

1. maddiesdad

maddiesdad Approved members

WHEN WILL THE NEW ONES BE APPROVED!

I am tired of receiving the "new" ones and having to send them back to get the "Old" ones. Has anyone contacted Insulet lately?

:eek:

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

I haven't heard anything as of yet. We have been using the "new" ones without any problem. Our A1C's have been right on target with our meter averages.

3. Haley's Dad

Haley's Dad Approved members

Ditto ... Started the new ones and no change in A1C's

4. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

Been using the new strips for about 3 months. A1c Monday.

5. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We've also been using the new strips for about 3-4 months. I gave up on trying to get replacements. Her last A1C was in line with expectations, it was a little high but she's had two illnesses where we had a devil of a time getting her numbers down and back in line.

6. SFGingerBeerSoda

SFGingerBeerSoda Approved members

I've been in touch with Abbott and Insulet this past week plus multiple reps. We just started on Omnipod and although our endo office hinted at trouble getting strips we had no idea it was this much of a hassle.

Both companies continue to say the do not recommend using the new freestyle strip until it is FDA approved. I understand that they have to say this. Neither company had any timeline on approval unfortunately.

It is now in the hands of my insurance because we literally cannot locate any where we live. Abbott sent us 50 strips after I called the line on the Omnipod site. The Rep just kept saying "I understand they are becoming more difficult to locate" she also said she could not help me locate them.

Where do you send the strips when you receive the wrong ones? I read on another site that Abbott will switch them out, is that what you are doing?

7. manda81

manda81 Approved members

We will not use them after doing a side by side test, and getting a 30 point difference every reading.

When you call Abbott, ask to speak to a supervisor. We have had our full (300 per month) prescription sent to us free of charge several times when we cannot locate them locally and our pharmacy cannot get them.

They really need to do something... it's getting annoying.

8. SFGingerBeerSoda

I just got off the phone with Abbott's Omnipod division and I was told that they are now asking users without PDM strips to use the Freestyle meter included in our start up package with their new strips. Still no date for FDA approval. Sadly, they would not send me any old strips. So, I will continue to use my Accucheck Aviva and manually enter. Very annoying. Thanks for the suggestion though I was so hopeful :)

9. manda81

manda81 Approved members

That's so weird. I just got off the phone with them as well, and they're overnighting my monthly strips. :confused:

10. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

We were getting the old strips from abbott. 3 months ago, they told me we had met our "limit" and refused to switch any more strips out. Talked to several people, no one was helpful. That is when we started using the new strips. Honestly, I do see the 30+ difference between the new strips and our old one touch we were using before starting the omnipod. I will admit I am a little nervous about the a1c on Monday.

*Eta* I occasionally see the 30+ difference...not every time I compare them. Just enough to make me worry.

11. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

I almost always saw a 30 pt difference from the One Touch to the "New" strips in the PDM. The PDM always reads 30 pts lower for us than our One Touch. So I stopped using the PDM and manually enter the number from the One Touch. We do however use the Freestyle meter that came with the start up POD pack and that reads accurately with the "new" strips. I don't see the 30 pt difference between the One Touch and the Freestyle meter.

12. Tracy1918

Tracy1918 Approved members

We gets our from Mini Pharmacy. Just got my 3 month supply with no trouble....

13. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

Have you compared the meter to lab results? (doing a fingerstick at the same time as a lab vein draw, you can even use the blood from the needle stick in the meter) since meters are "accurate" within twenty percent of lab values, comparing a meter to lab values is a better indicator than one meter to another. If one meter is reading twenty percent high and one is twenty percent low, they will be very different from each other and yet could be equally accurate.

14. Kayeecee

Kayeecee Approved members

We have used what people are calling the 'new' strips since late last year. They have the black spots on the sides and take a miniscule amount of blood. During our usage, her first A1C went down several points and the two subsequent A1C's were 6.6 and 6.7. I'm satisfied that there is no appreciable difference, at least with our OmniPod meter.

15. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

It is not recommended to check venous blood draw BG on your meter. Home meters are.meant to test capillary blood, from the fingers, and results from the finger may be different from the vein. When i want to compare, I check finger blood on my meter and comoare it to the lab results I get later.

16. swellman

swellman Approved members

or control solutions ... that's exactly what they are for.

17. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Control solutions have too great a range in my opinion for this purpose. People are saying that the strips are 30 points off, and control solutions have a range greater than that. The high solution has a range from 248 to 372. What is that really going to tell you? Even the low one is 40 to 70, and normal 83 to 125.

18. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

We have been using the new strips since we started on the Omnipod in May. Seems to be on target for us.

19. swellman

swellman Approved members

The solutions do not have a range at all - they are at a fixed concentration. It's the METERS have that range - those ranges are in the +/- 20% (one is different) that is the acceptable accuracy range of the meter. So, they tell you that the meter is working within the manufacturer's specifications. (Abbott in this case)

What does this mean? It means when one has a true BG of 300 one can expect the meter to read anywhere between 248 and 372 when the meter is working correctly.

I posted the true concentrations somewhere but I think they are 55/100/300.

20. SFGingerBeerSoda

Hi Tracy,
    Imagine our surprise when we arrived home yesterday and a box of strips from Mini Pharmacy was on the doorstep. Last week I spoke with their Seattle Representative, as well as, Mini Pharmacy Customer Care. Both individuals took my information and called back saying "They no longer stocked the Omnipod PQQ strip". Not sure what changed but we are happy something did :confused: