- advertisement -

Any new pumps this year?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Belinda, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Belinda

Belinda Approved members

Hannah currently has the Animas Ping and wishing she still has her cozmo. She's not thrilled with the bulkiness on the omni pod. I need to get Hannah new pump this year since her's is out of warranty... and insurance is changing next year and not for the better.. :eek:

Does anyone know anything?

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

As far as I know MM is the only one that has come out with a new pump. Its the X23 series, called the Revel.. lots of new features, especially if you use a cgms.. but it also has the lowest bolus capabilities now, along with the low basal capabilities, both at .025.. IOB on the status screen.. new alarms for the cgms, and new daily totals and averages.

3. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Dexcom has said in the financial press that they have filed with FDA on omni pod integration. Dexcom also said they are committed to FDA filling for the Animas pump this year.

A smaller Pod is also in the works.

Roche is acquiring Medingo makers of patch pump it is expected to be to market in 2012. http://www.solo4you.com/

http://www.tandemdiabetes.com/ is somewhere in the future but I don't knwo status of coming to market.

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

MM is also coming out with a patch pump, at the FDA, and is 'suppose' to be out next year some time.. but all this doesn't help someone that needs a pump this year, before insurance changes..

I've learned to look ahead, to see where things are going, but when something needs to be done now.. when a choice needs to be made now, it doesn't help to see what 'may' come out in the next year, but rather, what is on the market and available right now.:cwds:

5. timnshann

timnshann Approved members

We have our eye on this for Blake. We love the tubeless aspect of the pod but it is bulky for a kid and the solo seems to have added all the features the Omnipod is missing.

Hoping it comes out soon.

6. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Thanks I forgot that one, true this doesn't help a lot for a pump this but it the direction and maybe an upgrade path.

7. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

Not sure what features your daughter misses from her Cozmo, but if it's the larger reservoir, the Revel does offer a 300 unit reservoir. I know this is a deal breaker for some pumpers who are getting close to puberty.

8. dragonblimps_mom

dragonblimps_mom Approved members

Amelia is still using the Cozmo that we dearly love but our warranty expires next June. When I told her we were going to the CWD conference in July, my CDE suggested I check out the new Accu Check/Roche pump if possible. Well, the new pump isn't out yet but we did try the Accu Chek Spirit. It's OK but it's not the Cozmo. :( The rep said the new pump will be out by the end of the year. If we traded our Cozmo for a Spirit pump and Palm PDA now, we would get a free upgrade to the Roche Spirit/Aviva combo and get to keep the regular Spirit as a backup.

Here's a link to the trade in offer for Cozmo users still in warranty:
    http://www.accu-chekinsulinpumps.com/dstrnc_us/rewrite/generalContent/en_US/article/DCM_general_article_128.htm

The Roche Spirit/Aviva combo is available now in the UK and other countries. Here's the UK website:
    http://www.accu-chek.co.uk/gb/products/insulinpumps/combo.html

I'm considering it but I hate giving up the Cozmo. I think I'll see if my insurance will get the Spirit for her without giving up the Cozmo. Then we can keep using it until the new system is available. We'll get the free upgrade and keep both the Cozmo and Spirit as backups. :D

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

If I had to use my (fake) crystal ball, I'd predict that the only new pump that we MIGHT see this calendar year is the new Omnipod pods and/or the integrated Omnipod/Dexcom. (Not sure if they will release both at the same time or not. If not, you'll see one of them sooner.)

The new MM pump(s) (tubeless and traditional) will definitely not be out until at least next calendar year, and it's sounding like the integrated Animas/Dexcom won't be out until then either.

10. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

The MM Revel came out this year and does have some features like the Cozmo like the Missed meal bolus alert. Also, has more detailed bolus history.

11. dianas

dianas Approved members

Last spring I did both when looking at pumps--looked at what's available now vs coming down the pike. I made my decision based on what's available today but believe me it also bites big time to be the one who just got their pump right before a new release. A little over 4 years ago Minimed released the 722 the exact same day I received my 715 that went through insurance. They wouldn't exchange it or reprocess it through insurance and I had to pay the full cash out of pocket price to upgrade it.

But based on vague responses from various pump reps when I asked about that scenario the same thing could happen to someone no matter what the pump company even today. At least now most offer a 30 day return policy which would allow to get the new pump if you started the order process all over again.

Intellectually I totally understand all the reasons why pump companies can't control or predict the release dates for next gen pumps but from an emotional aspect it still irkles. I've been on tenterhooks here the past couple of months telling myself that's it's highly unlikely this would happen to me again. I'm just now 3 months out from getting my new pump and I'm actually relieved they haven't released anything new in that time frame. Makes it easier to write off the Minimed incident as a fluke.