- advertisement -

Any idea on this school letter?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by mom24grlz, Aug 16, 2010.

1. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

We got a letter in the mail from the school today. Ken and I are a bit confused, but it sounds like if we want to send Ashleigh to another school they'll pay for the transportation for her to go??

Here's the letter

Dear parents:

This letter is to let you know that _________Middle School has been identified as School Improvement-Year 1. The Middle school is in School Improvement Year 1 based on the state achievement test performance in reading for students in the following subgroups: (students with disabilities or economically disadvantaged).

_________ Middle School is obligated to offer Public School Choice (PSC) for the 2010-2011 school year. Your child can attend a similar school that is not in need of improvement and the district will pay for transportation. If you are interested in Public School Choice contact _____________ at ____________middle school at ______________________.

______________Middle School is involved in the Ohio improvement process. The Ohio improvement process will assist in addressing _________middle school improvement status. Our plan includes:

Offering 90 minutes of math and language arts
    Professional development for staff
    implementing intervention software programs
    implementation of formative assessments

our local report card [web address]. We welcome your involvement to become part of the improvement process. If you are interested, please contact me at ______________.

Sincerely,

We were wondering if this letter was sent to all middle school students or we got it because Ashleigh has diabetes (which they consider a disability) and we'd also get it because we are "economically disadvantaged". As for the reading performance test, Ashleigh was in the top 3 of her grade. Her reading teacher talked to me and told me how proud she was of Ashleigh.

2. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

It sounds like there saying they didn't meet AYP (adequate yearly progress) as put by the No Child Left Behind Act because the test scores in those subgroups were to low. I don't know if it's federal law but in Maryland when schools don't meet AYP they have a choice of any school and the county has to provide transportation. I think they are just offering that choice because they are now on the school improvement list and are being monitored by the state. I would think that letter was sent to everybody.

3. colebenmom

colebenmom Approved members

It is federal law and everything you just said is exactly how I understand it to be. The letter should have been sent to everyone.

4. TerpSteph

TerpSteph Approved members

misscaitp stated it perfectly. The letter should have been sent to everyone.

5. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

That is exactly what it is. All students received it because those 2 sub groups did not meet testing standards so the school is in program improvement.

6. mom24grlz

Well apparently they were not sent out to all middle school students. Ashleigh asked 4 of her friends if they recieved the letter, and they all said No. I'm guessing it was only sent out to low income or children with disabilities.

7. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

No they should have all received them. Children with disabilities and low income students did not do well on the test so it put the school into program improvement. They are allowing the parents of the students to move their child to another school that is not in PI. Maybe the other children just didn't know about the letter.

8. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

NCLB requires that if a school doesn't meet certain benchmarks within certain guidelines, the parents have to be given the option to go to another school.

Just because her FRIENDS said they didn't get the letter didn't mean they didn't - perhaps their parents chose not to share it with them.

9. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

No offense to those kids..., but I doubt those kids have a clue on whether their parents got a letter or not:) I agree with misscaitp:)

10. mom24grlz

Perhaps the parents didn't share the letter. Though if they're anything like Ashleigh they would have been breathing down the parents' neck to see what it says. Especially since the envelope is addressed as "To the parents of _________"

However i wouldn't put it past our school to not send it out to everyone, even if legally they had to.

11. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

That is what I was thinking.;)

12. mom24grlz

7 kids now have not recieved it. I can't imagine that 7 of Ashleigh's friends didn't know about the letter.

13. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

Yes, according to the Alternative School Choice Option which is within the No Child Left Behind Act, they will supply transportation for her to go to another school that is equipped within state standards of care. (I did a whole thesis on this already for my degree).

14. mom24grlz

the thing my husband and I were thinking is they sent this letter out like a week or 2 before school starts. We'd think it would be a little late getting her into another school. I know i did open enrollment when i was in HS, and my parents really had to fought to get me into the school because it past their enrollment date.

I want to know how they can transport the kids. What if every kid wanted to go to a different school?

15. carcha

carcha Approved members

If every kid wanted to go to different schools, they would all be provided with a bus to take them there. I work at a high performing school in Brooklyn and we have several students who come from Queens and the Bronx to attend our school under NCLB. Unfortunately, this means that some of them are on a bus for an hour or more each way because they live so far away, but some parents feel it's worth it for the shot at an education at a different school. I am not someone who believes that just because a school doesn't meet their AYP then they are "bad" and kids aren't learning. AYP is just one way to measure a school's overall success and the effectiveness of their teachers.