- advertisement -

Any gymnasts or competitive athletes out there?

Discussion in 'Teens' started by baileypaige, Jun 5, 2011.

1. baileypaige

baileypaige New Member

Hey, I'm bailey, 16 years old and just got diagnosed with type one about two weeks ago..
    It's going pretty well so far,
    but i leave for a training camp in a week..
    and i was just wandering if there were any gymnasts out there, or competitive atheletes out there with any tips/ suggestions/advice?
    ANYTHING is highly appreciated!<33

2. NHL-go-pens

NHL-go-pens Approved members

Hi! I play basketball and ice hockey which are contact sports. I have an insulin pump which I keep on during the game. I figure you don't have a pump since you're newly diagnosed. What I do is check before I start if I am <100 I eat 15 grams of carbs and check when I get back to the bench after warm ups. After each period or half I check. If I am going low I set a temp basal which is like lantus if you use that. I cut it in half and go back out and check every time my line is on the bench or I am sitting out. I hope this helps! My greatest advice is to check OFTEN during the first meet or first part of camp. I am 13 and my name is Bethany.

3. wowthatsjustgreat

wowthatsjustgreat New Member

i do swimming and cross country.

for winter swimming, it was a pretty intense workout. i would eat my dinner which was around 50 carbs - probably an hour before practice started - and do a half bolus. then, in the car on the way there, i could check again and usually have a 25 carb granola bar or snack. the pool water was cold so my blood sugar would just drop.

as for cross country, that starts in the summer. the practices begin at 8 in the morning. because my body is super needy of insulin that time of day, i only hold back like half a unit from my breakfast bolus (all i eat is a cup of cereal and some milk, around 35 carbs) i know most teens dont necessarily like breakfast, but it's essential if you're gonna be working out in the morning so you don't go low.

you have to play around with it some, so i would start with holding back lots of insulin and holding back less until your blood sugars are relatively normal during the workout - and make sure to always have sugar with ya :)

have fun!!

4. aleasa23

aleasa23 Approved members

hey,I,m a competitive cheerleader,I promise its a real sport,basically have backup bc you never know what can happen,if u think u wont need something ,pack backup,just in case,have juice boxes,crackers,and give some to an adult so you don't eat all your diabetic food,lol cuz i have....seperate your diabetic food and regular snack! have an awesome camp,and dont let diabetes stop you you'll only regret it if you do =):) My name is Kiraina and I'm 18

5. Texas16

Texas16 Approved members

My son plays golf (in 100+ Texas heat carrying a 40 pound golf bag) and he plays ice hockey.

Hockey is a little harder to manage (closer to gymnastics that golf is). He tests before he starts and eats so his BG is 150 at the beginning of the game. He drinks gatorade during the game (32g per bottle), this is enough to keep him stable when he plays. He checks his levels between periods of eats a fruit snack if he is low.

He never takes insulin during a game. He is never over 180 while he is playing. However, once he gets off the ice and cools down, his BG will rise to 250 (endorphins from exercise I suspect).

When he plays golf in tournaments he is always nervous on the first hole, he can drop 60-80 points between getting ready to hit is first shot and two minutes after he hits it. Once he is off the first tee he levels off again. We now know that he has to eat a 15-20g snack as he walks down the first fairway. He has tried to calm the nerves but nothing seems to work, once he starts the match his BG stays level.

Good luck - test often in the beginning until you figure out how many carbs you burn.

6. josmom

josmom Approved members

I play softball, volleyball and basketball. the biggest advice that i can give you is to just check all the time. the more u check, the more control u have over ur bg becuz u know what it is. good luck!

7. Gillybean2145

Gillybean2145 Approved members

I'm a gymnast too and I go to camp. You really can do anything as long as you are careful. I am on my school team and I know its not a good idea to practice or participate without eating a good snack first too. Good luck :)

8. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Trial and adjustment with lots of testing. You'll want to eat some uncovered carbs before any extended (over an hour) exercise and maybe lessen your dose for a meal after some long workouts. Testing each hour during longer than 1 hour sessions is wise. Workouts in the am won't drop you quite as much because people are more insulin resistant then. For us, 1-4 pm is a time to really be careful. This is very individual, though. You'll find your grove as you see how you are affected by the workout...though you still have to be on your toes because just when you think you've got it, it changes! As one does more training, one seems to not drop as much. If you take off a few weeks and go back to it, BAM...your muscles aren't as efficient as they were and need more glycogen.

There is an excellent book out called "Diabetic Athlete's Handbook" by Sheri Colberg. We got it on Amazon. It has lots of athlete's detailing their methods for keeping bgs up...it also explains the body's method for using energy while exercising.