- advertisement -

Any Grandparents of T1 kids ever have polio?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SuzanneE, Jul 28, 2007.

1. SuzanneE

SuzanneE Approved members

I came across a bit of information that has my curiousity peaked. My daughter, Sophie, diagnosed last year with T1, recently contracted Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease (HFMD). It's nothing to be alarmed by and it passes without treatment in a few days. Still, it got me reading . . .

HFMD has been observed to precede a diagnosis of diabetes and why this virus is considered to act as a trigger for T1 diabetes. Also, the virus that causes HFMD belongs to a family of viruses that includes the one that causes polio.

Sophie's grandfather, my father, contracted polio as a child and survived. I can't help but wonder if there isn't a link here, some genetic blueprint that rendered both of them vulnerable to enterovirus.

Any similar family histories out there?

2. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

I carry Rubella. Each time I have been tested I have had it, but I do not have symptoms.

3. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

By HFMD , do you mean the Coxsackie Virus??
    Jesse had it in October and was dx'd in December...

4. WillowBean

WillowBean Approved members

My son was diagnosed with type 1 and his grandfather (my dad) had polio as a child. I don't know if there is a connection or not.

5. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

I don't know of anyone in our family with polio. We did have HFMD but I don't know if it was before diagnosis or not...I will have to check.

6. EmmasPapa

EmmasPapa Guest

I know this is a very late reply but I only recently became a member of this forum. My granddaughter is Emma (Type 1) , the 3 year old daughter of Emmasmom and Brensdad of this forum. My father - Emma's great grandfather - had polio as a child.

7. Tamara Gamble

Tamara Gamble Approved members

My father, Tyler's grandfather had polio as a child.

Tami

8. SuzanneE

SuzanneE Approved members

Thank you to everyone for your posts. Whether or not there is a relationship of T1 to polio is a very interesting question to me . . . maybe old news or no news to endo's and researchers, who knows, but I'm intriqued. Thanks so much for your replies!

9. LJS118

LJS118 Approved members

That's interesting. But "no" there's no polio in our family history.

10. jendean

jendean Approved members

Hm...

Interesting bit there. I never thought about it, but you know what? My Maternal Grandmother had Polio.
    I carry a gene for Haemochromotosis, (High blood iron leading to autoimmune diseases in Irish and Scottish) I wonder about that...

11. Boo

Boo Approved members

My mother-in-law had polio. My diabetic son had HFMD, though it was several years prior to his diagnosis. At least one of his two (as of now non-diabetic) brothers has also had HFMD.

12. podemosbailar

podemosbailar Approved members

hmm...

My husband's grandfather reportedly had polio, but not much can be verified about the situation, so we are not very sure. He has no known family history of diabetes.
    But, hmm...