- advertisement -

any EXTREME coupon'ers want to caome and live with me???

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by mmgirls, Jun 18, 2011.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Really, I see these people on TLC and see thier "stockpile" and say to mself that they could be making money on it instead of sitting on it.

we owned a discount store, and I know we could make money instead ofjust saving it!

2. skimom

skimom Approved members

I have only watched that show a couple of times - I cannot figure these people out. I like a good deal like anyone else and will use coupons for things I need if I have them, but the extreme need to 'save money" is misleading - to me they are actually wasting their money. On the last show I watched, the lady bought 200 boxes of ibuprofen. NO ONE can use all 200 boxes before they expire- Just as she doesn't need the hundreds of power drinks. I do not see one speck of anything resembling fresh fruit ( yes I know there aren't coupons for fresh food) and i see basements full of laundry detergent, toothpaste, soup and shampoo. They claim they will have a grocery budget of $80/month...you cannot buy enough fresh food and milk for a family for that price. Now if they were to turn around and sell some of the goods and make money - I would understand that ...but I don't think that is happening. Extreme couponing ....followed by hoarders...not much difference to me.

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I was thinking the same thing the other night! A woman bought about 100 bottles of hot sauce. Does her family even eat much hot sauce? I think Ive used it once or twice iin my life. I was reading how some of these people are allowed to commit fraud by using coupons for a product that are made for another or using too many coupons on the same product all to make the show look good. I do think that some of them have issues with trying to have too much "stuff"

4. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I admit - I have watched this show too - I would like them to get me a normal stockpile :) so I am not running to store all the time for this or that!

I did see where one Mom uses it to help a local shelter and she takes things to them all the time. The rest of them seem like "efficient horders" to me. Who needs under your bed and closets stuffed with toliet paper!

5. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I agree.. not all hoarding is the unorganized chaos you see on shows like hoarders, and the extreme couponing definitely does seem to qualify as hoarding, mostly because in my mind having more product that you can use in a lifetime (like the toilet paper, and deodorant) is just not necessary for ANYONE, and a majority of the things they tend to collect don't even seem that useful... and I have a really hard time believing that any of those families are truly eating anything resembling a healthy balanced diet... not when it's based primarily on boxed and canned foods... there seems to be very little fresh foods purchased.

I tend to stockpile certain household essentials so that we're not rushing to go to the store all the time when we run out, like toilet paper and laundry soap (as a family of 5 these are both things we go through a lot of), but I might have an open package of toilet paper (12 rolls?) and a spare ready to go.. I don't have hundreds of rolls stashed away, and I don't buy a van full at a time. I use coupons when it's convenient.. because saving a few dollars here and there certainly helps, but I don't obsess over it, or refuse to buy something if I don't have a coupon.

6. Charmed7

Charmed7 Approved members

The one thing I learned from watching the show is find an item on sale that has a coupon. So I've started doing that and have already started saving money. But I don't go out and buy a load of papers so I have coupons for 50 of one item. I have gotten free toiletries and condiments etc. And now when I need it I don't have to buy it at full price.

I have a feeling a lot of it is staged anyways. People just love reality TV so much that it's become less and less as these programs find ways to create reality TV. But that's another conversation.

C7

7. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I call myself an avid couponer, not an extreme couponer. That show is driving me crazy!!! The people on the show are committing coupon fraud and the stores are letting them do that for the show.

I use a coupon website that is very legal and I save about $400/month on groceries and household items. I don't hoard, we donate regularly to a food pantry, and I only buy what we need/use. And no, I don't buy junk food. (Lots of people seem to have it in their heads that coupons are only for junk, which is absolutely not true.)

I get 2 newspapers each Sunday delivered to my house and spend about 15 minutes per week cutting and filing the inserts.

Did I say that extreme coupon show is driving me nuts????? There are legal and much less time consuming ways to save money out there that those crazy people with 100 bottles of hot sauce.

8. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

What website do you use? I dont have cable so I havent seen the show, but I need to get into using coupons!!!

9. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I use www.thegrocerygame.com They have a free month trial, and then you pay a small bi-monthly fee. Some people are appalled that I pay for a coupon site, but it's a very small fee, and I do prefer this site to other free sites. There are many other free ones out there, this one works the best for me and my area.

10. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

Thanks Brenda Im going to have to look into this, the free trial cant hurt :D

11. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

I try to stock up on paper items (paper towels, toilet paper, plates, etc), and Tide or other favorite detergents.....but I try to get enough to last 3 months as I tend to see the same offers/coupons within that time. I can't imagine buying 200 of anything though, lol

We do our fresh shopping at Aldis. I find better deals there than anywhere else, but we have drastically cut down our 'fresh' purchases. We can't afford them anymore. Where we used to have good variety we are doing more of whatever is on sale, even if that means the same stuff all week.

12. sooz

sooz Approved members

13. Jen_in_NH

Jen_in_NH Approved members

Ditto! I've been a couponer for years, and I will stockpile some things we use a lot. If I have coupons for something, and it's free, I'll get it and send it to the food pantry if it's something I won't use.

What that show shows isn't the average couponer, it's more of a combo between hoarding and people looking for 5 minutes of reality fame.

14. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

I have been using thegrocerygame.com as well for several years. I keep telling myself to drop my subscription.

However, my favorite sites are FREE - southernsavers.com (may not fit with your location though), raininghotcoupons.com, hotcouponworld.com and couponmom.com

If you do an internet seach on coupons, frugal, bargains, etc - you will probably find a wonderful blog for whatever region you are in.

There are two main secrets:
    1. Match sale ads with available coupons for maximum savings. Use the sites above to match coupons.
    2. Most items needed to build a stockpile are on sale in 6 to 8 week cycles. So match the sale with coupons and buy enough for your family for the next 6 to 8 weeks. Then restock at the next sale.

15. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Since the show started, I admit that I have become a convert. I don't do anything near what the people on the show do, but I do clip coupons and manage to save 20-40% on every trip, and that adds up nicely. The kids always want to see my receipt when I get back from the store!

16. MySweethearts

MySweethearts Approved members

I use coupons a lot, but not to those extremes. I have been able to get free items like toothpaste for a while and just got a free meter from Wal-greens with a coupon just today. But, I have no time to spend on coupons like the people on the show do. Just yesterday I was finally able to go through my coupons. I think I might give grocery game a try :)