- advertisement -

Any experience with NON D daycamp?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by joy orz, Dec 29, 2012.

1. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

The local Y camp registration is Jan 11th :eek: Ava would like to go, and we'd like to send her, but I am totally nervous about it.

It's going to be a half hour bus ride from our house, they'll swim twice a day, and go boating and hiking. It's on a 115 acre campground. There is a nurse but ohh boy, I am nervous.

I went to camp my whole life and was a counselor. I'm just thinking back to my 16 year old self tromping through the woods with 10 kiddos. Not sure what would happen if she went low on a hike or in a kayak.

Does anyone have any really great non-D camp stories to share? Ava wears a ping and has a dexcom. She knows how to check her blood sugar, but doesn't give any bolus without a parent right there.

2. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Hana did Girl Scout camp the summer after she was dx. But it appears your daughter is younger. Hana was 9 when she went. There was a nurse there. But hana did her own checking. I think they called me at lunch time very day and I would let them know is he needed insulin or not. She was honeymooning at the time. It all worked out fine. The nurse was a school nurse so she was trained in glucagon and emergencies. However, Hana was able to give her own injection.
    Since then she has done other non d camps. She is on the pump now and 11, so she is self sufficient.

Can you talk to the personnel there? Find out if the nurse is trained on glucagon? They can call you throughout the day with her numbers and at lunch time. The nurse can oversee the bolusing with you on the phone.

I guess my one concern would be the bus ride. When Hana went to Girl Scout camp, it was a 40 min bus ride, so I drove her.

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I would call and ask what the experience level with diabetes is. For example, we have a friend who goes to a camp and she had 2 d kids in her cabin and as far as she knew, everything went well (because she is begging for my kid to go!). Our school nurse works a few weeks at a church camp, she said lots of school nurses pick up weeks here a d there. Obviously it takes more than just a nurse to make it a success, but I would start there.

4. Andy'sMom

Andy'sMom Approved members

Andy goes to a non-D day camp in the summer (this year will be his 3rd year there) but we drop-off and pick-up so we don't have to deal with the bus issue. They have a nurse on-site and we met with her prior to camp start and set-up a detailed procedure for tests, and also extra food to be kept in her office. He reported to the nurse for each test and she gave him his shots. She would text me the numbers and I would test back if okay or what correction to use, etc. so I knew everything was running smoothly each day. his camp only swam 1 x each day and everything was on a schedule so we worked out his test times around the schedule for each day. It was complicated to set up (only because the schedule constantly changed), but ran unbelievably smoothly over the course of the summer! I prepared a "cheat sheet" every morning with his meal times and food lists, carb ratios and insulin and would literally hand it off to her each morning in the drop-off line. She had 2 other diabetics at camp and was amazing at keep everything organized. I guess the bottom line is that it can work really well, but from what I experienced, it took a lot of prep work prior to camp start. Even with that, I was still nervous everyday after drop off (same as I am everyday with school) but I think that's just my "normal". Good luck!