- advertisement -

any Connections Academy families out there

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by bbirdnuts@aol.com, Jan 13, 2010.

1. bbirdnuts@aol.com

bbirdnuts@aol.com Approved members

My daughter's school is a public charter homeschool online called Connections Academy. They can be found throughout most states in the United States. The program is free as are all school materials and is funded by the Lottery.

Are there any other families here on CWD in the Connections Academy program?

I was reading some posts on how difficult concentrating can be for a child when the blood sugar is high and have experienced the same here. I have found with this school program it is flexible. The hours are not set in stone, but each student has to log 5 hours a day. When the 5 hours are is strictly up to each individual. I have found this works well for us.

When my daughter can't think she can step away, come back later and finish. I have homeschooled in the past but with Connections Academy the work of course planning is done for you and the school has nice tutorials and catchy teaching materials sure to keep anyone's attention.

2. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

Does this have any relation to the Honers Academy?

3. bbirdnuts@aol.com

Not that I am aware of. Across the US it is called Connections Academy. The name does not change from state to state. Does that help?

4. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

I love the looks of it, but it isn't free in every state. In NC, where I am, it's $5000 a year to enroll a student!

5. JohnMom

JohnMom Approved members

We are not with Connections Academy, but with K12. It is also a public school charter school (virtual academy). We are in this for the same reason. It is much easier to do school work around his bg levels. His attitude towards school is much more positive since we have changed. The first two years in a Brick and Motar School with diabetes was a disaster. He was consistently out of range and having to re-learn everything.

6. bbirdnuts@aol.com

National Connections Academy is a paid program. Sorry, the free program (Connections Academy) is not in NC yet. Ouch, $5000 is expensive.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  7. bbirdnuts@aol.com

I have heard of the K12 program and understand it to be free also. Is that right, is it free? I am so glad you are experiencing the same benefits as we are:D:D:D. These type programs do make life easier.

8. JohnMom

JohnMom Approved members

It is free and you get all the supplies (computer, printer, books, art supplies) and also a teacher you meet once a month. They also set up field trips. It is a nice program. You must enroll in the online public school though. There is an option to do your own program, I hear that option is expensive.

I am glad that your program is work for you. Your right, life is much easier for us this way.

9. bbirdnuts@aol.com

JohnMom - in my state they do not have the funds to provide computers, but I understand in most states they have enough funding to do so. There is phone contact and email contact with the teacher. Once a quarter she talks to my daughter on the phone to ask questions to make sure my daughter is doing the work and understanding what she is learning. There are many projects/papers that have to be mailed/faxed. They even provided postage paid envelopes.

Are you in the Connections Academy program? Could not clearly understand by what you posted.

10. the eriksen 5

the eriksen 5 Approved members

We are a Connections Academy family! This is our first year and we love it. The flexibility that it offers fits wonderfully with the ups and downs of diabetes. My dd is excelling and I love being apart of her day. She is in the third grade and while she attended a regular brick and mortar school for k-2, she did well, but I hated how much instruction time she missed if she was low. The school only had a nurse assistant, so she was not allowed to give my dd her insulin shots, so I had to go to school and give them and eventually my dd learned to give them herself. I have two other small children at home and not having to pack them up to run to school is wonderful! Because this is a public school, my dd is still able to interact with other students during field trips and other planned activities. I can not say enough about how much this school has blessed our family.

11. CaelinsMommy

CaelinsMommy Approved members

I have a question about Connections Academy. Aaron will start kindergarten in the fall. We are moving sometime around April 2011, is CA flexible? As in can he finish the coursework for K before the end of the actual school year?

12. bbirdnuts@aol.com

Sara I am so glad you are having as much success as we are. We love this program:) and it is a major blessing for us too. Carolina's titution at Montessori was $650.00:eek: per month (what a relief). She went to Montessori for over 2 years and prior to that I homeschooled. I am elated to have her back at home again.

Tammy when you move I would make sure the program is free in both states. Yes, you can finish before the end of the year. You would then start 1st grade because you have to log a certain amount of time each day and a certain number of days each year. The amount of hours and time will depend on what each state requires. Our state is considering ending school 5days early to meet budget. I log 6 hours each day and that is 5 hours of work and 1 hour for lunch. I wonder if you logged double hours each day if you could finish in 1/2 year, not sure, but a thought.