- advertisement -

Any advice for flying and beach days on the pump?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by polly, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

I second the Frio suggestion. Placing insulin next to ice or an ice pack can freeze the insulin. I too would look into travel insurance. I am taking DD to Europe in September. Here is a site I found that lists doctors around the world. They are not endo drs, but at least knowing where one is, might alleviate some stress of being out of the country http://www.iamat.org
    safe travels! :)

2. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

Thanks for the site info on Docs around the world! The Frio sounds great for the open bottle but, I am concerned about the unopen bottle. The Frio pack said it only keeps it at 82* F which is the max temp for open insulin storage.

3. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

I'm not sure what their literature says, but the Frio kept our insulin much cooler than 82 degrees. I've used it on several trips with Novolog and Lantus; just soaked it in cold water to reactivate it.

Good luck and hope you have a great trip!

4. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

They actually won't let you do that. I'm sure it's a liability issue, but they have always been happy to give me ice. Just make sure you have good strong ziplocs. Like I said, I use the quart size freezer bags.

Also, regarding docs while travelling, our endo would write us a letter with the Campbell's basic medical info and his contact details. That way, if we had an emergency, the local docs had the basic info and could easily contact him to consult.

5. jlh0920

jlh0920 Approved members

My daughter, who is 2, pumps with the Medtronic Revel and Sure T infusion sets and is still on pretty small doses of insulin. We have to decrease basals significantly every time we fly, in addition to disconnecting during takeoff and landing, to avoid serious lows (learned this the hard way). Not sure if it is something with the air pressure and the tubing or what, but we check frequently, give uncovered carbs, and decrease basals. This usually gets us through the day safely. However, I've heard others say they go high so I think each child is different but that has been our experience.

Jen
    Mom to Sammie, diagnosed at 8 months
    Pumping with Medtronic Revel and Sure T infusion sets

6. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

I didn't think they would let me put it in the plane's refrigerator, glad to know I was right:eek:. My husband did mention the need for a letter from the Endo. Not just for the airport but, an additional one with more of our son's info incase of an emergency. I have a lot to put together before March!

7. polly

polly Approved members

Thank you!

Thanks for all the suggestions!! We had a great trip without any serious hang-ups. I was pleasantly surprised how easily we carried juice boxes and other D supplies thru customs and security - no questions asked on either end. We luckily packed enough supplies as we ended up doing almost daily site changes. Our main issue was a small stomach virus that caused a couple of rounds of vomiting. Thank goodness for the zofran - great reminder to never travel without it! :)

8. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Glad to hear your travels went well! Thanks for the tip on Zofran! We are going out of the country in September. I will put that on my list of things to get from the doctors before we leave. Did you get a frio pack? So many things to pack for D life, it will be a miracle if I remember to pack my own clothes. :rolleyes:

9. polly

polly Approved members

We did use a frio pack - make sure you get the pump size. My brother is a GI doc and swears zofran is a wonder drug. After this experience I agree with him! I know what you mean about packing. I completely overpacked supplies, snacks, etc. but it was worth the peace of mind to me. Have a great time in September!