- advertisement -

Antibiotic history in your type 1 child

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by buggle, Sep 16, 2010.

?

Before your type 1 child was diagnosed, were they given antibiotics? (Check all that apply.)

1. Never as a baby.

34 vote(s)
    33.7%
  2. Occasionally as a baby.

33 vote(s)
    32.7%
  3. Often as a baby.

18 vote(s)
    17.8%
  4. Never as a toddler.

18 vote(s)
    17.8%
  5. Occasionally as a toddler.

45 vote(s)
    44.6%
  6. Often as a toddler.

16 vote(s)
    15.8%
  7. Never as an elementary school-aged child.

16 vote(s)
    15.8%
  8. Occasionally as a elementary school-aged child.

36 vote(s)
    35.6%
  9. Often as a elementary school-aged child.

12 vote(s)
    11.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

matt had cronic ear infections as a baby, had to have tubes put in. Then, of cource, the occational strep...

we have auto running rampet through the family of one sort or another...

and matt had mono when he was 4 I would attribute the D to family history and mono if it were up to me. its my Un-Dr opinion.

2. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

my non-d kids had antibiotics MUCH more often than my D son. As a matter of fact, I can't even remember him having antibiotics at all (guess I need to knock wood here....)

3. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I wasn't sure what to check...I can barely remember yesterday. However, around 4/5 Seth had strep throat for FIVE months. He was on antibiotics the whole time. For the record though...I personally don't think it was the antibiotics but that it was the strep that may have brought on the D. JMO:cwds:

4. jules12

jules12 Approved members

My non-d kid had antibiotics a lot more than my D kid too. I really don't think it was the antibiotics. I really believe its in your DNA and there are triggers/stresses that cause some people's bodies to have Type 1. Looking back, there is not one thing I would do different....even all the steroids he took for the croup!

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Steven had his first course of antibiotics at age 9 months for fluid in the ear that wouldnt go away after waiting 2 weeks. He then had antibiotics for sinus infection at age 3 years 2 months. He was diagnosed at age 3 years 4 months.

Antibiotic use causes systemic yeast. Ive often wondered what systemic yeast does to the immune system. I bet its not a good thing though:rolleyes: Even if there has been no direct correlation between antibiotic use and type 1 d or any other autoimmune disease proven, if antibiotics cause systemic yeast/leaky gut syndrome I believe that there can be a link in the chain of events. But thats my opinion only

6. chammond

chammond Approved members

Logan had never had antibiotics before dx's. The morning of dx's we took him into the ER for breathing difficulty, and they did prescribe antibiotics for what they thought was an ear infection causing runny nose and harder breathing. I think he had one dose before we went back to the ER. He had never been sick. The only medication he had prior was Zyrtec and maybe tylenol. He always had a runny nose and skin rashes. I find it interesting that once he was diagnosed the runny noses and skin rashes have pretty much stopped, but our endo said they are most likely unrelated.

7. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

No antibotics up to age 11. Yes, my mommy recall is right on.;)

Then, at age 11, she got strep throat (confirmed by throat culture) from a kid that sat next to her in school. One course of amoxicillin at age 11.

8. LittleGuy'sMom

LittleGuy'sMom Approved members

I voted wrong--didn't see the multiple choice so I only voted for "never as a baby". No antibiotics ever for my d child. The worst thing he's ever had was a mild cold with a runny nose.

9. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

The antibiotic stuff I have here because each is allergic to a different antibiotic and I'm often asked what symptoms they developed that indicated the allergy.

You're not lame LOL. I'm Queen Overkill.

10. Jen_in_NH

Jen_in_NH Approved members

I voted for occasionally as a baby. He only had them once, two weeks before he was diagnosed with D.

11. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

So what have we learned from this thread? Some kids got a lot of antibiotics and developed diabetes. Some kids got occasional antibiotics and developed diabetes. And some kids got virtually no antibiotics and developed diabetes.

12. buggle

buggle Approved members

Well, obviously this poll isn't a scientific study. :p

When we put Brendan on continuous antibiotics for almost his entire babyhood, it always made me concerned about long-term effects. I also keep feeling that something with the gut may be involved in the development of diabetes.

I saw this article the other day, which made me wonder about the patterns in children who develop type 1.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h_rRE-qgaKf1int_L-LFceMoAwFwD9I7O5V80

What's nice about the reporting about this particular study is that instead of the same press release being pasted into news sites, there seem to be a bunch of different stories with varying detail and interviews with the author.

Here's another article about the same study:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/09/100913153628.htm

13. buggle

buggle Approved members

My hubby reminded me of this recent study -- type 1 kids do not have normal gut flora.

http://news.ufl.edu/2010/07/12/gut-bac/

No single study is going to answer the question of what causes type 1 and whether antibiotics are involved or not. Another study says antibiotics are protective for type 1.

If this UF study showing abnormal gut flora in type 1 children is true of most kids with type 1, we still don't know if the the gut flora imbalance may contribute to causing type 1 or it's a result of type 1. Who knows.

I still thought it was interesting and worth discussing.

14. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

A "study" that has only 3 subjects? hmm...

Anyway, I like this quote for the Stanford University doctor....

"The big issue is when such differences will matter, something so far, "we're not really smart enough to know," Relman says"

At least he is honest... ;)

The human body is such a complex clockwork of interacting systems, it is amazing with all the enviromental as well as human made things we assault it with, we end up not sicker than we are...

15. buggle

buggle Approved members

I saw an interesting theory about the purpose of the appendix a while back that fits in with this discussion a bit. Someone postulated that back when humans were very sparsely populated, that the appendix stored these beneficial gut bacteria, so if the gut needed to be re-inoculated due to severe GI illness, there was a source of good bacteria.

In modern times, most humans are in constant contact with others and can pick up bacteria. But if you had few other humans around and they got sick too and lost certain important bacteria, it wouldn't be good.

16. buggle

buggle Approved members

Yeah, I thought the same thing about the small number. But... think about how many incredibly detailed samples they did and that may be the limit they could handle. The UF study in Finland consisted of 4 non-D kids and 4 D kids, which is still a fairly small sample number. It doesn't sound like they did continuous sampling over many months like the Stanford study. The Stanford study was published in PNAS and the review process is very rigorous. So, the reviewers obviously felt that the method was valid.

Maybe once they get the technique for analyzing gut bacteria more efficient, they'll do larger numbers of people.

Does anyone's type 1 child have GI issues, other than Celiac?

17. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Steven used to get severe gas pains as a baby and as a young child. He still will get pain that doubles him over. It doesnt seem to have anything to do with lactose and he has always tested neg for Celiac. He also has had problems with constipation all his life. He wont eat yogurt so the only way to get any beneficial bacteria into him is by using Culterelle. Harry on the other hand has always loved yogurt and has eaten it since he was very young.

I was reading about raw, unpasteurized milk today that said it is full of beneficial bacteria that is killed when it is pasteurized so I will be reading more about that when I can find info

Scientists and researchers are only beginning to really understand the importance of the gut and gut flora or lack thereof. I think that further research will answer alot of questions in the future

18. WhoDat

WhoDat Approved members

4 days after we started zithromax (5 day z pack) my daughter started with the frequent urination and extreme thirst. She was diagnosed a few days later.

19. Alex's Dad

Alex's Dad Approved members

When my daughter was six months old, i think, she had an ear infection and the doctors gave her Cefdinir, well this antibiotic destroyed her intestinal flora, and she had to take probiotics to fix it, I don't know if that got something to do with the diabetes dx later on.

20. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

For us, she was on anti-biotics more than my other kids because when she was born my oldest was in preschool and brought everything home. She was on them maybe twice before she turned two (ear infections/colds that persisted past 10 days), then maybe 2-3 times more before kindergarten, twice from K-2 for ear infections, then she was diagnosed in 2nd grade.