advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti-nausea medicine for stomach flu

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by twodoor2, Nov 15, 2007.

1. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

I hear many parents claiming that the anti-nausea medicines like zofran do wonders for stomach flu, and saving a trip to the emergency room. However, both my endo and pediatrician are against the use of anti-nausea medicine for children because in their opinion, the "risks outweigh the benefits." What are your thought on this for young children. My daughter is only 4.

2. mollysmom

mollysmom Approved members

The only thing we have used is a Phenegran suppository. She still threw up after so I don't know that it really helped. I hate giving them also. I am not familiar with zofran. I would like to know more about that. My doctor likes us to use phenegran. I'm not sure what risks your doctor is worried about.
    I once was given a shot of phenegran, which within an hour I felt great and did not get sick anymore. I wish you could give the shot at home, but you can't. You have to go to a doctor's office. I would WAY rather give a shot than a suppository!

3. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

OMG no-one better ever come near me with a suppository :eek: :D

4. mollysmom

no kidding!:eek: I decided last time was the last time. the doctors always act like its no big deal:rolleyes: The first time they gave me an rx for Molly I was like " you want me to do what, with this?"

5. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

Well our pedi agrees with yours. They will not give us a prescription for either of them. They told us that the side effects of antiemetics can mask the symptoms of meningitis, making it difficult to detect and leading to a missed diagnosis, which could result in death. They'd rather call in a script for us on a case by case basis so they can evaluate her symptoms first. At first this bugged me, but the more I think about it the more I am okay with that. If I were traveling somewhere remote or something, I'd probably demand that we get one just in case, so as to avoid DKA. But otherwise we live 5 minutes from a 24 hour pharmacy and I'd rather know that she was being treated safely.

6. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

We only got a script because of the way Julia goes down hill so fast. I had asked for it before after seeing it used on here, and was told I didn't need it. Then after a few illnesses that went bad fast our endo decided that it was worth it. I do have strict guidelines before giving it though, such as if fever is present she needs to be evaluated before hand, or like in the case of the concussion she had I knew what the vomiting was from, but needed to have her evaluated before giving it because of the situation. Afterwards I was given the clear. So it doesn't save you from everything, but it has helped in our case because Julia goes into DKA fairly quickly when she has a tummy bug.

7. ROVERT81402

ROVERT81402 Approved members

I know that regular coke, flattened, always works for me. I'm not sure if diet coke would also work? Hmm, I'll have to check into that.

8. momofsingingdiabetic

momofsingingdiabetic Approved members

We had never used it until this last trip to the ER. The ER doc gave her a shot and the an RX for 10 pills which I will only use as a last resort. Danielle tends to slip to DKA very fast too when she starts throwing up, so it's something we have to watch close. She also bounces back quickly once we get her to stop throwing up. The shot in the ER helped (along with a bag of IV fluids). I know it didn't make her tired like the phenergan usually does.

9. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Our Endo also WILL NOT write us a prescription for this either. He'd rather us visit the hospital.

10. Lee

Lee Approved members

YEah - that is because he isn't paying the bill and doesn't live an hour away:rolleyes: - oh wait, that is me....

Our endo INSISTED that we have the Z one (can't remember the name!) We had the suppositories, but then he changed us.

For those of you who cannot get the RX, try Benadryl. My endo SWEARS this works just as well as the RX.

11. CarrieP

CarrieP Approved members

We used the Phenegren suppostiories along with Tylenol suppositories last time Rachel had the flu and high ketones...It worked like a miracle. We only needed one dose for her to keep enough fluid down to flush out the ketones...

12. tandjjt

tandjjt Approved members

We just have strict guidelines from then endo and are supposed to talk to them before giving any anti-nausea meds. Once they are convinced that the vomiting is not D related, they leave it up to the ped. Ped gave us zophran which saved us from the ER twice last year.

I would never give it without permission/approval from both Dr.'s but it sure is worth it's weight in gold - great to have it on hand but must not abuse or use until you know what you are dealing with...

13. mollysmom

Can someone please tell me what Zophran is? I know it's anti-nausea medicine, but how is it administered? We also talk to Molly's endo first before giving her any phenegran.

Thank you

14. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

Both my pediatrician and endo both don't believe in giving zophran to my daughter. She's only four years old as well, that might have something to do with it.

15. LJS118

LJS118 Approved members

we used it before the pump...but i think it was a different name, can't think of it right now, but it was a suppository. i think it helps

16. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Zophran is an anti nausea med. It is generally given orally, it disolves under the tongue. It is a very strong med. Generally given to chemo patients (so that will give you an idea of it's use). One other thing with Zophran is that if you take say the recommended 4 doses in one day it will bring your motility to a screeching halt. I take it for Gastroparesis and it really helps me live a normal life. I use it very sparingly though.

17. tandjjt

tandjjt Approved members

The zophran we've used is a really super thin tablet that disolves under your tongue - no swallowing required - it stopped Tyler's vomiting within 30-40 minutes both times.

Tyler says it tasted nasty but was MUCH better than continuing to throw up;)

18. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

we just got a RX for zophran, Tony was just hospitalized for a week with a tummy bug (not the flu) and they wrote it just in case he starts up again. Our local hospital is a joke, takes forever for emergency transport to arrive, I could write a novel on how they almost killed Tony, and I want to avoid that-we go to texas childrens but it can be quite a drive with traffic. It dissolves like a sublingual tablet.

19. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

I am not aware of any "risks" for using Zophran, if used correctly??:confused: Our endo knows that for us this is a last resort. We have strict guidelines on when to use it and to notify the endo. I have used 2 tablets in one year, both times for a stomach bug. I have only had to use 1 tablet each time, so yeah the stuff is really strong... We do have the suppositories too but neither girl will let me anywhere near them LOL. Funny because in Switzerland where I am from, every medication for kids goes up the other end, and I mean EVERYTHING (meds for cold, fever, you name it). Here it seems everything goes into a syrup or pill :rolleyes:. I guess you have to train the kids early for suppositories LOL.

20. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

See, I wish our doc felt like they could give us the script with guidelines for using it only after speaking with them first. I think their philosophy is one of CYA. I haven't checked with the endo's office yet to see if they will prescribe it. Chances are they'll give me one for a "just in case" scenario with the stipulation that I call before using it. Of course the stomach flu is going around here and Sam has had unexplained lows all day. I am suspicious that I'll be needing that Zofran sooner rather than later.