- advertisement -

Another seizure question..

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kiwimum, Mar 30, 2010.

1. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

We think Tyler had a small seizure tonight. I asked him to do something and as he came into the kitchen, he bounced off the door, gave a cry and fell to the floor. He was on his side, with his hands shaking and he was staring blankly into space. I called him (well, screamed at him actually!) with no response. I yelled for Carl while I ran into the next room to get his meter.

As I got the meter, Tyler stood up and asked me what the problem was. He couldn't remember what I asked him to do originally and asked me if I had been speaking to him. It was so similar to the low bg and seizure 6 months after dx when we had to call an ambulance to him.

I made him sit down, asked him if he was low and he said he thought so.
    Did the test - 7.8! (140) WTF?! I was sure he was going to be below 2 (36). Ohh, just remembered - he had some choc coated peanuts for afternoon tea and since I didn't wash his finger, it is possible that reading was incorrect! Duh! I did another test about 20 minutes later and he was 5.8 (104)

So is it possible he dropped real quick resulting in a low which I then caught on the way up? He did a test 10 mins after the 2nd test and he was 8.5 (153).

Or maybe it wasn't a seizure or maybe it was and there is another reason, or just maybe........

2. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Wow! Debs, no answer on the seizure question but wanted to offer you some ((HUGS)). I'd have been scared witless to see him fall like that. I'd be inclined to believe him if he said he was low; our kids know their body. Maybe a rebound? I hope Heather is around, she'd have advice.

3. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Thanks for the hug Barb.

After writing this and the more I think about it, I am now pretty sure that the first reading after he came round was in fact false, due to not washing the choc off his fingers.
    I now firmly believe it WAS a seizure due to either an undetected low (my fault for being undetected!) or a very fast drop.

I do trust Tyler when he said he thought he was low. And you'd think after 3 yrs I would trust myself too! (Just as you'd think I would know to wash the finger!!!!)

4. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

More strips wasted than I can count for doing the same thing. :eek: Oh well, we're only human. :rolleyes:

5. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I think you did fine. With the thought of a seizure I can assure you thinking of clean fingers would be at the bottom of the list. You did great by the way.

6. Lee

Lee Approved members

It does sound like one to me. FYI - when Coco had her seizure, she was tested in the 70's afterward so nobody really thought seizure.

But in reality, by the time the seizure has finished, and you have tested, the blood sugar has gone back up thanks to the liver.

I asked my endo why she was not higher, if it was a true rebound. He stated that a rebound will only raise blood sugar 7 to 8 times the original...so if he was 104 after the rebound, and you believe my endo, then his liver dumped when he was 13-15...

7. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

Sounds like a seizure, like his body spit out glucose and you caught the number as he was leveling back up again. Kat sezied once at 58 (way above what she normally seizes at which is 20's or LO)

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Debs, I'm so sorry! How frightening! :(

9. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

So scary!! I would have totally freaked out. I'm glad it didn't last too long. The blank look thing definitely sounds seizure-like. Was he wiped out afterward? Although if he didn't have a prolonged seizure it might not have been as hard on his body. I know Kylie was wasted after she had hers. But hers was in the middle of the night, too.

Oh, and like Becky said, Kylie rebounded and was 76 when we checked her after her seizure.
    ((Hugs!!))

10. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Oh Debs:( how scary for you all!!

Big hugs!!

11. austin_calebs_mom

austin_calebs_mom Approved members

I just want to say that I'm sorry you guys had to go through this. Caleb had his first seizure on Friday and it's terrifying. He was completely unconsious and I gave him the Glucagon and then DH checked his bg-68. The endo said that during a seizure, bg will actually rise, which explains why Caleb's bg wasn't extremely low.

How is Tyler feeling?

12. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

does this happen to lots of d people????? seizures i mean you see my dd has had d for only 2 months and I have not heard much about seizures till now. should we expect this to happen eventually? not to over react just wondering....
    Teen aged daughter-
    lantus and humolog pens.
    hoping for an omni pod sometime soon

13. austin_calebs_mom

austin_calebs_mom Approved members

I can't really answer your question, but can only give our experience. My now almost 7 year old was diagnosed on April 11 of last year. He had his first seizure 4 days ago. He's MDI, on Humalog and Lantus pens as well. He's previously been as low as 41 and not had anything happen, except being a bit confused. We have no idea why he suffered a seizure on Friday..it just happens. I hope it doesn't happen to your DD, but it doesn't hurt to make sure you know what to do beforehand. Take any of your expired Glucagon kits and practice mixing them up and make sure that anyone else who helps take care of her learns as well. I did this about 5 months ago and am so thankful I did because otherwise I wouldn't have remember the directions. I made sure to have my DH practice with the Glucagon I used that morning on Caleb after he was released from the hospital so he knows what to do as well. Before this, I was the only one who knew what to do. You pray that you will never need the Glucagon, but don't take any chances.

14. Lee

Lee Approved members

It didn't happen to us for 3 1/2 years...