- advertisement -

Another Seizure Question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MyBoys'Mom, Mar 29, 2010.

1. MyBoys'Mom

MyBoys'Mom Approved members

Sorry to beat this horse, but I have a question for those who have dealt with this. If your little one has a hypo-induced seizure, do they become incontinent like I've heard with trauma seizures?

2. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Honestly when Amanda had her siezures when she was first diagnosed at 13 mos she was still in diapers...so I do not know if she lost control of her bodily functions..good question!!
    She is now 4 and has not had a seizure in 2 and a half years!

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

I think they can. Coco became incoherent for 8 hours. Honestly, the first thought in my mind was a stroke.

4. MyBoys'Mom

Oops - I'm sorry - I meant incontinent, like wetting their pants :p

5. timsma

timsma Approved members

My son has had numerous seizures with lows over the last 13 years he's had D. One seizure went into a grand mal (now called Tonic Clonic) and he did not become incontinent. Good thing has his friends were there. Most of his seizures happened within 10 minutes of waking up in the morning. He was even tested in the hospital over a 5 day stay for epilepsy and it was found he didn't have that. All of his seizures were due to low blood sugars even if he wasn't low at the actual moment. He was normally on his way up from a low (frequent testing showed this). He has had the arms and legs flail about and not known that he was even happening to him. Eyes would glaze over and he wasn't able to hold on to anything. Dropped an entire container of sugar on the floor once and then a bowl of cereal on top of that with milk in it. What a mess that was, lol. Anyway, some seem more prone to having seizures than others I was told. His threshold for seizures was lower than most. He would seize in the 60s even, but was likely much lower and was coming up from the glycogen release. We were taught by his endo and CDE to run him high over the next week to help his liver restore the glycogen. Seemed springtime was when he was most prone to them,,,,,,,mostly due to more activity. He now wears the Navigator and since having this on, he has not had anymore seizures as it alarms for him when he is dropping fast or slow. I LOVE the predictive alarms on it as I know it has saved him from many lows. I hope this info was of help to someone.

6. MyBoys'Mom

Kara - I'm so glad things are going better for you and your son. Thank you very much for your willingness to share all of that and allow us to learn so much from your experience :)

7. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Yes, it is possible but not it doesn't always happen. With Dylan, my nephew, I just put towels down around him and under him and wait and clean up after its over. There is no point in trying to clean up in the midst of the seizure. The one thing I work on is keeping Dylan's airway clear and calling 911.
    I hate seizures.

8. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

Kat has never lost control of the bladder during a seizure. Hope she never does, she would be so embarrassed. But that doesn't mean it doesn't happen to anyone, every one is different, and it would also depend if their bladder was full at the time.

9. austin_calebs_mom

austin_calebs_mom Approved members

Caleb had his first low blood sugar seizure on Friday, but didn't lose control of his bladder. Since his happened so early in the morning, we don't think he even woke up..my sister found him seizing in bed because he was making a really weird noise. She though he and my nephew were just messing around. He was completely unconsious until after I gave him the Glucagon and then it was still really hard for him to stay awake. I pray to God that we never have to go through that again.

10. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

We've experienced one seizure and no incontinence with it.

11. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

For what it is worth seizures can really wipe one out physically. Dylan, my Nephew is known to spend the next day or even a few afterwards needing to sleep. We just let him do that. Of course, this doesn't always happen, but the extreme fatigue can be part of the result of the seizure. Definitely hoping you don't have to experience that again. If it is worth anything, Dylan doesn't remember the seizures either unless we tell him. I actually think it is a 'blessing' that he doesn't remember. KWIM