- advertisement -

Another reason to check BG before driving

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by emm142, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Emma, please go to the doctor, I work in the collision industry, your injuries could set in during the week, or you could be just fine, but if you're already taking pain meds, you NEED to se a doctor, JUST IN CASE!! Not sure how your accident insurance works, but please, cross all your tee's and dot all your i's. I've also been on the receiving end of a collision and didn't go for treat right away, still having treatments for that!

2. Michelle (IL)

Michelle (IL) Approved members

First of all, I'm so glad you're okay! How scary! Second, my son will turn 15 in Sept. so it won't be long until he will be driving. We've already talked about how important it will be to check his bg before getting behind the wheel. I will pass along your experience to my son (as soon as I pick him up from D-Camp on Friday). Again, so glad you're okay! :)

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Tried to post earlier, but the internet has been screwy and it doesn't look like it got through. I'm doing fine today, no pain meds and my headache is not so bad. I have a sore neck and a bruised nose and under my eyes (my nose is what hit the steering wheel) but on the whole could be a lot worse. Devastated because I was supposed to be going to a theme park to ride all the big, scary 'coasters tomorrow and it looks like that's a no-no. But at least I'm safe I guess. ;)

4. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I'm doing my Marge Simpson groan of disapproval. ;) Please go to the doctor. Just a quick visit just to make sure. Tel him/her you were in an accident and lost conciousness and while you don't think you have any issues you just wanted tot get checked out real quick. He'll do a nuero test and check eyes, balance, strength, etc. Tell him you have a headache and ask if you still have it by whenever should you come back.

You don't want to feel like later on when you feel off that maybe it was b/c of the accident.

I know that your mom is watching out for you but loss of conciousness, loss of memory, and headache, is something to note on record. God, I'm glad you're OK!

ETA: Oh and for insurance purposes you need your injuries documented.

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

I'm just now reading this. Glad to hear you're safe but as one of your 97 mothers here, I'm going to plead with you to please go get checked out! And eat some cake! ;)

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Glad you are OK, Emma. What a scary situation for you. Great point on why checking before driving is so important!

You're one smart young lady! ;)

7. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

Hugs and prayers for quick recovery...glad you are okay...as others have said...don't rush things...take time to rest..

8. swellman

swellman Approved members

What the what? Wait ... I'm pretty sure the LOSS OF MEMORY AND CONSCIENCELESS is a symptom of a possible concussion. Holy mother of socialed medicine ... tell them you have headaches and get an x-ray. I say the "socialized medicine" in jest but not the x-ray part.

9. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I was talking with an adult with diabetes this week, and he told me that the times he's been in an accident, he's tested in front of the officer and had his BG recorded as part of the accident report so that diabetes can't be blamed. My daughter and I were talking about it this afternoon, and we thought it might be a good idea to do a BG right away as well, before an adrenaline spike kicks in and capture it so that it shows on the pump/CGM and the resultant spike, just in case the insurance company felt they couldn't fight fault because of diabetes.

10. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Emma, I only just saw this today. So glad you are okay and no one was seriously hurt. :)

11. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

I'm so glad you're okay! You still should go to the doc and make sure everything is as it should be.

On the checking BG part: yes. I was in an accident in January as I was pulling into a parking lot. (My fault, I was following my mother and forgot to double check before I pulled in. I had had my license 3 weeks at this point.) It was minor, as the cars were angled so that our back bumpers hit, and neither of us had any passengers. The good news was that my mom was there! I had no clue what to do about anything. I had checked before I left work, but before the cop got there, I did go low, so another note to make is to try to have plenty of snacks and low treats in your vehicle, in case you're in a minor collision and need them for the wait. We were out there for nearly 4 hours, and my snacks really came in handy.
    The "funny" thing is, we were both working at the district's elementary schools that day, and actually became friends because of the wreck.