- advertisement -

Another reason to check BG before driving

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by emm142, Jul 10, 2012.

1. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Of course, reason number one is that a low BG could cause an accident. But some people think that won't happen to them, and today I became well aware of the less important reason for checking BG before driving.

Today I got in an accident (the other driver was speeding and it was a bad junction). Both cars were written off but nobody was hurt badly (I have a bit of a bruised face and was knocked out temporarily, but nothing serious). Anyway, it was clear from the way the skid marks were on the road and the way the cars ended up that the other driver had been speeding, but right after the accident when I was in shock etc, I was so glad that I had checked my BG right before driving. Because I have no memory of the time before the accident, it was really reassuring to KNOW that my BG had been in range.

I know of people who don't check their BG before driving and claim that because they can feel a low, they know that they are safe. I don't believe that is true, but even if it were, perhaps those people could be encouraged to test BG by being made aware of the fact that if they do not, they could be blamed for an accident which was not their fault.

2. sooz

sooz Approved members

Oh wow. I'm glad you are ok. Did you go to the doctor? It sounds serious if you were knocked out. How scary. Good advice.

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

I am so glad you didn't get hurt! But if you got hit in the head and face hard enough to knock you out, you may have a concussion!

Also, make sure you can take tomorrow off because that is when you get VERY sore.

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

An ambulance came and said someone should be with me for the next 24 hours, but since I seem okay it's unlikely to be serious. I'm at home, so there's always someone here to keep an eye on me.

I'm very glad my mum could get there in 10 minutes, because I was in shock afterwards and needed her. ;)

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Yikes, Emma! You're going to get your 97 cwd mothers all in a tizzy!

If you didn't get checked out you MUST. You also must take time to recover. Don't rush it and follow up with your Dr to be sure that all is well. Send someone out for a great big tube of Arnica gel for those bruises - it works!

Take care and I'm (along with the other 96 of us) so glad that you are ok.:cwds:

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Haha, thanks Sarah! My real life mother is okay, so hopefully that will reassure the rest of you. The paramedic checked me over and said I didn't need to see a doctor unless I had any symptoms of concussion. It was my nose that got the main impact (on the steering wheel) so I think the fact that it wasn't broken meant that I hadn't hit it hard enough to do serious damage.

No need to worry, I'm perfectly okay except for a headache, and painkillers are pretty much taking care of that one.

7. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

Glad you're okay!

I think I'm going to bookmark this thread to show my son when he starts driving...

8. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

Emma, I am so glad you are ok!

9. sooz

sooz Approved members

I think cake is called for!

10. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I agree!

I'm glad you're okay.. I've been in two accidents (one before D and one after) and neither was a big deal (no injuries, minor damage) but I was still a mess emotionally for a few days after. I'm glad you're at home with family to take care of you :eek:

11. Mrs. Russman

Mrs. Russman Approved members

I'm glad you are okay.
    I tell Ben another reason to test before driving (especially as an inexperienced driver) is that if he is in a fender bender he needs to be able to prove to police or a judge (or parents) that his blood sugar was in a safe for driving range.

12. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I am so happy you are OK!

Please check in with us tomorrow and let us know how you are doing.

13. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

I'm so sorry for your scare but glad you are ok {hugs**

14. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

So scary to be in a vehicular accident. Watch yourself closely for the next few days. Glad you're okay.

15. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

How scary!!! So glad you are okay!!!

16. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

OMG!:eek: Thank God you are okay. Hope you are feeling better soon.

17. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I am glad you are okay. And your experience is a good lesson for others with diabetes to always test before driving. Definitely take it easy for the next few days and if you start feeling worse get into the doctor.

18. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Glad you are OK but sorry you had to deal with the stress of it all. Thanks for posting and reminding us how important it is to check before driving!

19. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

And 1 Dad :cool:

Emma, sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you are feeling better soon.

20. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

So glad that it was not super serious. But pay attention and do not hesitate to follow up with a doctor if you begin to feel "different".

When my DD was in her first accident, I was out of down. I told my husband to go get chocolate immediately for her. Chocolate makes all boo-boos better for girls!!! :)